123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My mini freezes alot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjamini

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: My mini freezes alot Reply with quote

My mini freezes often. I have not kept track of how many times but it does freeze up. Probably ounce to twice a day. I have a 1.25 running 10.4.2 and the only change to the computer is a 1GB stick of kingston PC2700. When it freezes it seams that its finder that locks up. It has done it running iPhoto, iCal Safari and other programs. It just hangs there with the spinning wheel and often my dock will freeze up with a portion magnified. When it happens I cant click on anything including the apple (top left). If I do click it may occur 20 sec to a minute later.

I usually unplug the mini.

Help please.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My mini freezes alot Reply with quote

ninjamini wrote:
My mini freezes often. I have not kept track of how many times but it does freeze up. Probably ounce to twice a day. I have a 1.25 running 10.4.2 and the only change to the computer is a 1GB stick of kingston PC2700. When it freezes it seams that its finder that locks up. It has done it running iPhoto, iCal Safari and other programs. It just hangs there with the spinning wheel and often my dock will freeze up with a portion magnified. When it happens I cant click on anything including the apple (top left). If I do click it may occur 20 sec to a minute later.

I usually unplug the mini.

Help please.

Well, it could be the RAM. I would recommend taking it out and seeing if it still does it; if it does, then you got a bad stick of RAM.

Instead of unplugging the Mini you can also turn off the Mini by holding down the power button on the back.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
e3mw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert, but it sounds like maybe your RAM could be faulty. But of course with my knowledge about macs it could be something entirely different happening altogether. Embarassed

Edit:
*shakes fist* Doh! you beat me Susurrus! lol Laughing
30GB 5th Gen iPod | 512MB Shuffle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
blackjaw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i had that happen in my pc with a bad stick of ram, kept freezing up on me or it just would keep restarting
e3mw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess the next direction this topic could go in is.... What's the best kind of Ram to get for the mini? Personal experience anyone?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
blackjaw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e3mw wrote:
So I guess the next direction this topic could go in is.... What's the best kind of Ram to get for the mini? Personal experience anyone?

i went through crucial.com...they are very reliable and provide a good customer service on their RAM

actually, all the ram ive ever owned was crucial....i had one stick of laptop memory die on me two years after i bought it, and they replaced it for me within days

i bought my 1gig stick for like 110 shipped i believe...just use their memory help tool to get the right stick, and do a search in google for "crucial discounts" or something and there is a coupon code floating around for 5% off your order (not much, but anything is better than nothing, and it takes care of tax)

hope that helps
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e3mw wrote:

I have heard good things about the Kingston RAM that ninjamini used; there's another thread about it here, somewhere. Any reputable brand should work, though Macs are much more picky about RAM than PCs are, on average. It could be a bad stick that wouldn't work in a PC also, so it may not just be the type of RAM. It could be a bad stick of RAM all together.

e3mw wrote:
*shakes fist* Doh! you beat me Susurrus! lol Laughing

Sorry, I get bored during work and need to hit up the old 123MacMini for a little R&R...
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
e3mw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
Sorry, I get bored during work and need to hit up the old 123MacMini for a little R&R...

No harm. No foul. Wink
ninjamini

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO is it everyones experience that there should not be long hang ups using the mac included software. Should I go back to the 256 that came with the system? Or should I remove the ram and take it back to my mac store and let them look at it?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja who installed the RAM? You? Dealer?

If you installed it yourself, remove it and see how things go.

If the dealer installed it, leave it the way it is. Take the mini with the RAM installed back to them.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check to see if the 1GB stick you have in is properly seated. If that doesn't work, put the 256MB back in the Mac mini and return bad one.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjamini wrote:
SO is it everyones experience that there should not be long hang ups using the mac included software. Should I go back to the 256 that came with the system? Or should I remove the ram and take it back to my mac store and let them look at it?

Definitely put the 256MB back in and roll with that for a few days to see if you still experience lock ups. If you don't, then replace that 1GB stick of RAM.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: