123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how to uninstall 10.4.2?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackjaw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: reset pram Reply with quote

Dual G5 Fireman wrote:
You might try resetting your pram.
Go here to get instructions - it's easy and worth trying:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

ill try that after work, thanks!
blackjaw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: reset pram Reply with quote

blackjaw wrote:
Dual G5 Fireman wrote:
You might try resetting your pram.
Go here to get instructions - it's easy and worth trying:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

ill try that after work, thanks!

just did it and the fan is still blowing at low all the time...hmmm
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the fan is always blowing at low speed unless in sleep mode. I'm not going back to 10.3.7 to find out though. It's quiet enough for my liking.

Can anyone else comment on whether or not their fan is off completely while running OSX. (not in sleep mode)
blackjaw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I'm pretty sure the fan is always blowing at low speed unless in sleep mode. I'm not going back to 10.3.7 to find out though. It's quiet enough for my liking.

Can anyone else comment on whether or not their fan is off completely while running OSX. (not in sleep mode)

yes, i guess thats what i need to know, if the fan is always blowing on the mini when not in sleep mode

i just thought my mini use to be a lot quieter (a few days ago), but i could be wrong...maybe im just being wierd, i dont know

my mini use to be on my wood 'desk' (its actually an old wooden dresser that im using as a desk until i move) but ive recently lifted it off the desk with the help of a plastic jewel case

seems the bottom of the mac was rather hot (dont know if its normal) as was the wood (might have been keeping heat in) and i thought maybe raising it off the wood would help circulation....im probably wrong...haha...but who knows
WC3_Gamer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the mini probably heats up like a laptop, it gets pretty warm, but nothing to really worry about (as long as your on a flat surface). for all of you with your mini on a carpet, take it off! that prevents proper cooling.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackjaw wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:

yes, i guess thats what i need to know, if the fan is always blowing on the mini when not in sleep mode

i just thought my mini use to be a lot quieter (a few days ago), but i could be wrong...maybe im just being wierd, i dont know

my mini use to be on my wood 'desk' (its actually an old wooden dresser that im using as a desk until i move) but ive recently lifted it off the desk with the help of a plastic jewel case

seems the bottom of the mac was rather hot (dont know if its normal) as was the wood (might have been keeping heat in) and i thought maybe raising it off the wood would help circulation....im probably wrong...haha...but who knows

The entire Mini acts as a heatsink for the Radeon 9200 chip, as it's thermally connected to the metal inside of the case. This connection is on the bottom, so that will get very hot. You should look into little rubber feet or risers that lift your mini off of the table by 1/4" to 1", that should solve your heat problem.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
blackjaw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
blackjaw wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:

The entire Mini acts as a heatsink for the Radeon 9200 chip, as it's thermally connected to the metal inside of the case. This connection is on the bottom, so that will get very hot. You should look into little rubber feet or risers that lift your mini off of the table by 1/4" to 1", that should solve your heat problem.

so you dont think its a problem where i would have to take the mac back to bestbuy?

like something inside that is faulty making the fan spin constantly, or something that i caused when i installed the 1 gig of ram

i guess im worried that i will have to take it back and they wont take it with the gig of ram that i installed or something, or that somehow when i was installing it i wacked my system out Sad
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why bother telling them you installed the 1GB? Put the 256MB back in and bring it back to the store. The people at Best Buy can barely speak yet alone open a Mac mini and inspect it.
iLife's a Bitch!
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
Why bother telling them you installed the 1GB? Put the 256MB back in and bring it back to the store. The people at Best Buy can barely speak yet alone open a Mac mini and inspect it.

Agreed. Hopefully you didn't leave big scratches on the inside of your Mini like I did so there isn't any evidence.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
blackjaw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
g5g5 wrote:

Agreed. Hopefully you didn't leave big scratches on the inside of your Mini like I did so there isn't any evidence.

there are barely any scratches on the outside (maybe a pressure ding or something from where i tried to fit the scraper into the tightness), but the inside of it has scratches on the pegs and inside

i doubt they would even notice unless they popped the thing open to look at it

i dont know what to think, i dont really want to take it back as i was just there last week switching the monitor out on the same reciept, but then again i dont want a faulty unit...ugh
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the recomomendation from Apple Support?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackjaw wrote:
Susurrus wrote:
g5g5 wrote:

there are barely any scratches on the outside (maybe a pressure ding or something from where i tried to fit the scraper into the tightness), but the inside of it has scratches on the pegs and inside

i dont know what to think, i dont really want to take it back as i was just there last week switching the monitor out on the same reciept, but then again i dont want a faulty unit...ugh

There is the rumor of an imminent update, so if you can go OS X-less for a while, you might want to return it and wait until next Tuesday to rebuy it. That way you'd have a fully working unit and it may be a new model!
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
blackjaw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
blackjaw wrote:
Susurrus wrote:
g5g5 wrote:

There is the rumor of an imminent update, so if you can go OS X-less for a while, you might want to return it and wait until next Tuesday to rebuy it. That way you'd have a fully working unit and it may be a new model!

but even if they do update it, they wont be shipping it for a few weeks right?
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackjaw wrote:
Susurrus wrote:
blackjaw wrote:
Susurrus wrote:
g5g5 wrote:

but even if they do update it, they wont be shipping it for a few weeks right?

I don't know how their new product rollouts work, but I know that you can order it right when it comes out. I think they start building it right then and it'd take as long as a BTO Mac normally does, I guess.

Of course, I've never ordered an Apple product right after release.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: