123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mozy Online Backup Service Announced

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Mac Mozy Online Backup Service Announced Reply with quote

Thursday, April 26, 2007
Posted by: Glenn

Berkeley Data Systems today announced the public beta release of Mac Mozy, an online backup service for Mac users, which offers 2GB of backup for free or unlimited backup for $4.95 a month. The service allows Mac users to encrypt and automatically backup all of their digital media content online, including collections from iTunes and iPhoto.

"The public beta was built by Mac engineers who understand the needs of the Mac community," says Josh Coates, founder and CEO of Berkeley Data. "With more than 1,000 participants in our limited beta, we're excited to be the first to embrace the Mac community with this unlimited online backup service."

Designed as a consumer service, Mac Mozy leverages Apple's Spotlight search technology, allowing users to easily select the types of files they want to back up. The service installs quickly and runs quietly in the background. Backup speeds vary from user to user, largely determined by the upload speed of their Internet connection.

Mac Mozy also offers an added measure of privacy by allowing its users to choose between a Mozy encryption key and a private encryption key. Incremental backups and block level differentials are included, which means subsequent backups complete at a much faster rate than the initial backup. Mozy's servers also retain the most recent version of a file as well as 30 days worth of previously modified file versions. Customers may retrieve files or versions of the files via the Internet or by requesting a DVD restore with next-day delivery.

The Mac Mozy beta requires Mac OS X 10.4 or later.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/641.html

Last edited by admin on Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll give the freebie a try. GDisk hasn't been working out that well for me anyways.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works great. I really don't need a lot of online backup space, so this will do until Apple comes to their senses with .Mac. Wink
iLife's a Bitch!
Dinshaw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using the free version of Mozy on my Dell before switching over to the Mac. I'm glad to see it come over. It sure looks better over here, but hey, what doesn't?
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to retrieve your files through the application? I guess it can only be done through the online interface, right?
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to work well, and you can't beat the price for 2GB. Laughing
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aquaman wrote:
I guess it can only be done through the online interface, right?

It looks that way. And the bad news is, the web restore process seems to take a long time. I waited almost 15 minutes for a download link to be sent to me. This was just for two small files totaling 60KB.
iLife's a Bitch!
rosco

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Mac Mozy Online Backup Service Announced Reply with quote

admin wrote:

I tried, but it won't let me select any files to back up, they're all grey'd out.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Mac Mozy Online Backup Service Announced Reply with quote

rosco wrote:
I tried, but it won't let me select any files to back up, they're all grey'd out.

Is this in a user account with admin privileges?
K.C.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First problem within minutes. I can't select the main library to backup. Their FAQ says it'll backup anything, not true.

So for my purposes it's useless.
goaliemn

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know alot of these services won't back up external/removable drives. I have carbonite for my PC and that was my biggest issue. I have so much on my external drive and they refuse to back it up.

Are you having problems with the data on an external drive?
K.C.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goaliemn wrote:

Are you having problems with the data on an external drive?

Macintosh HD > Library

Even when pointing to the user library it only shows partial contents, no system files. They're making it so you won't try and backup your operating system, that's obvious.
rosco

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Mac Mozy Online Backup Service Announced Reply with quote

Ben_tex wrote:
rosco wrote:

Is this in a user account with admin privileges?

No... non-admin user account, but then I was only trying to select my own files...
Liteon

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the free version this service for the last couple of weeks after seeing it mentioned. It works pretty well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: