123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can AppleTV stream?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
randyharris

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Can AppleTV stream? Reply with quote

I'm not clear on what the AppleTV streams and what it sync's locally.

If I were to get a large external HD connected to my iMac and rip my DVD collection to it, could I stream all those movies to my AppleTV, and would they show up in the Movie menu section? Or does media actually have to be syncronized locally to the AppleTV?

thanks

Randy
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either/Or.

You can autosync media from a single machine to the ATV's HD so you have immediate access to it, whether or not the machine is on, or present.

You can also stream media from up to five computers.

More info: http://www.apple.com/appletv/sync.html
jase

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk has it exactly right.

I've got one, and you can choose exactly what to sync to the AppleTV, just like you can choose exactly what to sync (and what not to sync) to your iPod.

You can also stream from any system with iTunes on it.

So far, I've played maybe a half dozen movies via streaming, and haven't had any hiccups or problems at all. Works smoothly. Although my network has almost no utilization when I'm not on the Mac, so it's the AppleTV isn't competing for bandwidth.
randyharris

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I get one it'll be hardwired.

I find it odd the Mac's have Gigabit ports, but the Airport Extreme and the AppleTV top out at 100.

Randy
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

randyharris wrote:
I find it odd the Mac's have Gigabit ports, but the Airport Extreme and the AppleTV top out at 100.

Yeah, that doesn't make sense. I can understand it a little more with the Apple TV, but the Airport Extreme should definitely have Gigabit. I think most people (myself included) are using the Apple TV wirelessly. Which, by the way, happens to work great.
iLife's a Bitch!
garty

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

randyharris wrote:
If I get one it'll be hardwired.

Randy

I hadn't noticed that up until now. Limiting it to 10/100 is just retarded.
randyharris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
I think most people (myself included) are using the Apple TV wirelessly. Which, by the way, happens to work great.

I just prefer hardwire if it's not a pain, and I've already got ethernet cable to my AV system.

Wireless is great, but you can't beat the speed and stability of hardwired today.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

randyharris wrote:
Wireless is great, but you can't beat the speed and stability of hardwired today.

That's probably true. It's great that you have the cable right there. That beind said, I have been pleasantly surprised with the wireless performance of the Apple TV. What are you using the ethernet for now?
iLife's a Bitch!
randyharris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
randyharris wrote:

That's probably true. It's great that you have the cable right there. I have been pleasantly surprised with the wireless performance of the Apple TV. What are you using the ethernet for now?

I've been running a Microsoft Media Center 2005 'server' and I access it with an extender at my AV system. It's worked really well for me the past several years. But I'll be moving on to a new system in the future. My MCE system is Standard Def (as well as is my CRT 35" TV). But I plan to go HD about this time next year. I'm not really excited about Vista MCE, I want more of an appliance. My beef with the AppleTV is that it doesn't satisfy my DVR needs, and I really want it to. But that said, I'll figure something out. I may just end up going with my CableCo's DVR STB and an AppleTV.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

randyharris wrote:
I'm not really excited about Vista MCE, I want more of an appliance. My beef with the AppleTV is that it doesn't satisfy my DVR needs, and I really want it to. But that said, I'll figure something out. I may just end up going with my CableCo's DVR STB and an AppleTV.

The Apple TV is actually a slick little device -- it does what does well. I certainly have no regrets about buying one. But you're right, there are many things missing. I'm using mine along with an EyeTV 250 (wish it was the Hybrid). So, I guess this is about as good as it gets for a Mac DVR type setup at this time. I certainly wouldn't mind having a TiVO Series3 HD box to fill in the gaps though.
iLife's a Bitch!
randyharris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
The Apple TV is actually a slick little device -- it does what does well. I certainly have no regrets about buying one. But you're right, there are many things missing. I'm using mine along with an EyeTV 250 (wish it was the Hybrid). So, I guess this is about as good as it gets for a Mac DVR type setup at this time. I certainly wouldn't mind having a TiVO Series3 HD box to fill in the gaps though.

One of the reasons I've loved my MCE setup is that it is a single source, everything from one interface and remote. But I've recently installed Sonos in my house (www.Sonos.com) and that now does my music duties. I'm more feeling that all I need is a nice DVR instead of MCE for the TV duties, but damn it, I hate the idea of paying a Tivo subscription fee for guide data... I'm cheap that way.

I'm on Cox Cable, I understand they have an HD Tivo box coming out later this year, I'll check it out and see what kind of offer they have. It'll likely be much cheaper than buying a Tivo Series 3 through retail.
garty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

randyharris wrote:
But I've recently installed Sonos in my house (www.Sonos.com) and that now does my music duties.

Sonos rocks, I've been using Sonos for about two years now and I totally love it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: