123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini Hits the Books

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Mac Mini Hits the Books Reply with quote

Mac Mini Hits the Books
Monday July 18, 2005

Three books about the Mac mini have recently been unveiled. The Mac mini Guidebook, Mac mini Hacks & Mods For Dummies, and Mac Mini Mods: 10 Power Hacks for your Mini.

The Mac mini Guidebook
"At 2 inches high and 6-1/2 inches square and with a price tag under $500, Apple's Mac mini provides just what you've been looking for, a viable, low-cost way to move to a Mac and its software without giving up all of your existing peripherals (keyboard, display, and mouse). Here to get you going is the definitive guide from award-winning technology writer David Coursey.

There's a lot involved in moving to a new OS: you have to transfer files, learn software, and unravel a new interface. David helps you with everything you need to get up to speed quickly. This book begins by explaining why, where, and when to get a Mac mini before launching into a thorough description of the Mac mini and its uses. David then shows you how to do on your Mac mini all the things you've been doing on your Windows machine, and how to use all the great software that is available only for Macs. And finally, David gets into more advanced topics such as troubleshooting your Mac mini and, for those who can’t give up all of their PC-only applications, how to run Windows on it."

- Paperback: 272 pages
- Author: David Coursey
- Publisher: Peachpit Press (June 9, 2005)

Mac mini Hacks & Mods For Dummies
"This book will progress from simple, inexpensive, and risk-free to extreme, costly, and somewhat risky-but-very-cool projects. The book starts with the basics like completing your Mac mini and adding your own options. Then the book goes into cracking open the Mac mini including content like avoiding damage, keeping track of the pieces, touring the inside, and putting the Mac mini back together again. Next on to modest mods such as making a Mac mini home theater, the Mac mini home appliance controller, building a Mac mini travel kit, and more. Then the book ends with maxi Mac mini mods. There is a degree of risk in these mods, and you will use a soldering iron. However, the adventurous and the careful can get good results, and even go back if they want."

- Paperback: 384 pages
- Author: John Rizzo
- Publisher: For Dummies (January 9, 2006)

Mac Mini Mods: 10 Power Hacks for your Mini
"The Mac Mini's low price-point and small size make it the most versatile Mac ever, easily allowing the user to enjoy the digital life in stylish simplicity. In a small package, the Mac Mini provides what users need to have more fun with music, photos, and movies, right out of the box. "Mac Mini Mods: 10 Power Hacks for Your Mini," helps intermediate to advanced Mac users take their Mini capabilities a step further. Containing 10 exciting hands-on projects, the book features a colorful and visually appealing layout with many illustrations as well as concise instructions on how to do each project. Starting with the basics, the reader learns how to safely open up the Mac Mini case and how to add memory or upgrade hardware. After that, everything from customizing the Mac Mini case, to using the Mac Mini on-the-go, to transforming the Mac Mini into a personal video recording system is covered. This fun, projects-based book will help Mac users take their Mini to the next level."

- Paperback: NA
- Author: Thomson Course Technology PTR Development
- Publisher: Muska & Lipman/Premier-Trade; 1 edition (October 31, 2005)

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/330.html
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about time someone came out with some more books about the Mini.

I'm finding all the blogs online about switchers and cool things to do in OS X give me enough stuff to try out with my Mini that I am loathe to fork out more money for things I won't have time to do.

Hopefully 123MacMini will be doing reviews of these books as I might get one if they find that they're worth it.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
everything from customizing the Mac Mini case

Hope they don't mean skins and painting! Laughing

I'd like to see some real case mods!
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
WC3_Gamer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i, for one would enjoy seeing a mac mini in a toaster, and the 2 places where the toast come out would be slot loading drives Laughing
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would a bell go off after the CD's are burnt! Very Happy
almax00

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: mac mini guidebook Reply with quote

just joined - long time mac user - future mac mini owner
a quick thumb through of Mac Mini Guidebook at my local BN reveals the author advising
readers to ADD ANOTHER 256 meg ram stick -- doesn't the MM only have 1 ram slot ?
might need to look elsewhere for a Mac Mini reference.
aristobrat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there's only one RAM slot in there. Shocked Very Happy
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: mac mini guidebook Reply with quote

almax00 wrote:
just joined - long time mac user - future mac mini owner
a quick thumb through of Mac Mini Guidebook at my local BN reveals the author advising
readers to ADD ANOTHER 256 meg ram stick -- doesn't the MM only have 1 ram slot ?
might need to look elsewhere for a Mac Mini reference.

OUCH. Well, that's all I need to know about that book... <sigh>
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
E Pluribus Unum

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mini user: Forget this book.
If you need a manual, look out for "Mac OS X : The Missing Manual, Tiger Edion"
G5 Dual 2.3GHz ordered
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E Pluribus Unum wrote:
Mini user: Forget this book.
If you need a manual, look out for "Mac OS X : The Missing Manual, Tiger Edion"

I agree, most of the interaction between a mini and the user is OS X itself.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: