123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mozilla Releases Thunderbird 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Mozilla Releases Thunderbird 2 Reply with quote

Mozilla Releases Thunderbird 2
Thursday, April 19, 2007
Posted by: Brian

Mozilla today released Thunderbird 2, a major update to its free, open source email client. Thunderbird 2 allows users to easily manage and organize email with tags, advanced folder views, and fast inbox and message searches. Users can also customize Thunderbird 2 with add-ons that match individual preferences.

"Thunderbird 2 has powerful new features and proven security, delivering an improved email experience to users worldwide," said Scott MacGregor, lead engineer for Thunderbird at Mozilla. "In Thunderbird 2, we incorporated the proven benefits of tagging to email. Tagging initially gained popularity on blogs, photo and link-sharing sites as an intuitive way to organize online information so users could easily find desired content."

Thunderbird 2 requires Mac OS X 10.2 or later, 128MB RAM and 200MB of free hard disk space. The download weighs in at 19MB.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/637.html
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: T'bird 2.0 Reply with quote

To my surprise it is even available in my language already! I'm downloading now, see what happens...
sross

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i currently just use the gmail web client, but maybe i should look at this. Is thunderbird considered better than apple's own mail app?
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sross wrote:
i currently just use the gmail web client, but maybe i should look at this. Is thunderbird considered better than apple's own mail app?

It's definately more extendable (Add-Ons) and I like it. Use it under all OS-ses. Very Happy
Tuishimi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject: I find T-Bird... Reply with quote

...I find t-bird to be more stable than Apple's Mail client. It has more features, altho' I wish tagging was as nice as MailTags. When Apple Mail has odd hesitations, or can't seem to download mail from an account, Thunderbird always could. It never hangs up on anything.

So... that is why I use it. It also LOOKS a lot more like Mail now too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
idek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just happened to be switching jobs and needed to download a mail client for the new job. Going from a corporate Outlook environment to a more open source shop I had the option of choosing. Also the new job is giving me a (slightly dated) macbook! So I setup mail, but was a bit saddened by the simplicity, having grown accustomed to some of outlook's more advanced features.
So I downloaded Thunderbird, not even realizing that this was a brand spanking new release. It's very nice, and the stability & performance seems good. I haven't been sending too many emails yet, so I can't say a lot yet.
One thing I have found disappointing is that the smart folders don't offer a search by date, where date is anything other than a static date. Even Mail allows for smart folders with "today", "yesterday", and "this week" or "last week" as options. These are very useful when going through a lot of emails that require research and response.
Altogether, a great product, as to be expected from the brother of Firefox.
qrayg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It still boggles my mind that people use OS dependent apps for E-mail when there are soooo many FREE web based clients that can be used from any web enabled device.

I can check my mail from ANY internet device in the world without having to carry around a laptop or maintain multiple repositories of mail.

I used to use Thunderbird way back in the day and it was definitely the best mail client available. But in an age where web based clients are so readily available for FREE I don't see the need for an OS dependent app for mail.

Plus, searching old mail is a million times easier on Gmail than any other client in the universe. Once you get used to not having to maintain an inbox and start using Labels efficiently, you'll feel the same way.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qrayg wrote:
It still boggles my mind that people use OS dependent apps for E-mail when there are soooo many FREE web based clients that can be used from any web enabled device.

I can check my mail from ANY internet device in the world without having to carry around a laptop or maintain multiple repositories of mail.

I used to use Thunderbird way back in the day and it was definitely the best mail client available. But in an age where web based clients are so readily available for FREE I don't see the need for an OS dependent app for mail.

Plus, searching old mail is a million times easier on Gmail than any other client in the universe. Once you get used to not having to maintain an inbox and start using Labels efficiently, you'll feel the same way.

I have several G-mail adresses, but still like my private Thunderbird for my several personal e-mailaddresses.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qrayg wrote:

I have six different email addresses that I use regularly, and it's easiest to corral all of them in to one email client versus opening six different webmail services to access them all. I can keep one address book, one set of rules, and one place to find all my email.

With that said, I really do appreciate some webmail services, like Gmail, in their ease of use, speed, and features.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:
qrayg wrote:

I have six different email addresses that I use regularly, and it's easiest to corral all of them in to one email client versus opening six different webmail services to access them all. I can keep one address book, one set of rules, and one place to find all my email.

With that said, I really do appreciate some webmail services, like Gmail, in their ease of use, speed, and features.

Some of my Gmail adresses are mainly for maintaining G-Space and Picasa webalbums! Laughing
splen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qrayg wrote:

I have a gmail account with forwarding set up to mail, it means I can use mail at home for its ease of use an general convenience, and check my mail from other computers too. best of both worlds! also, If i need to refer to something from a past email and i am not near a net connection, all I have to do is look in my mail inbox.
qrayg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:

You know, you can check other email accounts from Gmail so they can all be in one place and be viewable from any web enabled device. I have 5 email accounts and they are all viewable in Gmail. Organization is all taken care of through Gmail by a couple of simple label filters. I didn't think that Gmail's searching would ever come in handy when I first started using it, but now, I can't live without it.

A few years ago I spent a couple hours and imported all of my email from my Thunderbird local mail (about 6 years worth imported from many different clients and OS's). Now I have all of my mail in a single area and it all works perfectly.

I even had some email + attachments from my ancient Amiga that I could never get to open correctly in any other email client. Gmail took it all and handled it perfectly.

I, for one, will never go back to an OS dependent email client.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qrayg wrote:
SNIP

I'm always wondering, what if their servers crash or be victim of an terrorist attack? Shocked
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
qrayg wrote:
SNIP

I'm always wondering, what if their servers crash or be victim of an terrorist attack? Shocked

Well, something like this happened to me last fridaynight: I was very happy with my Gmail account until last night when all of my mail, contacts, groups, sent messages, mail with star and archives was GONE!!!!
I send a message to the helpdesk hoping they will be able to set a backup back, but I wonder... I'm talking about a few years (since the beginning of Gmail) of stuff....... Crying or Very sad
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if network syncing between multiple Macs is possible in Thunderbird? I tried to make it happen with my Comcast addresses in Mail, but couldn't do it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: