123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how to uninstall 10.4.2?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackjaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: how to uninstall 10.4.2? Reply with quote

well, i wanna back down to my previous install, seems 10.4.2 has my mini running funny (fan is always running when doing nothing but using ichat) and i want to uninstall adn maybe wait until a later date or do a reinstall

how do i uninstall the update?

(remember, im a mac noob, i have no clue where this stuff is hiding...haha)

EDIT- yeah, something is wrong, i had a hard time even realizing the mini was on when i walked into the room (sometimes making me mad that someone shut it down...when it was just running silently..hah), now its definetly noticable Sad
andp

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot rollback/uninstall the update. You'll need to do a clean install.
blackjaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andp wrote:
You cannot rollback/uninstall the update. You'll need to do a clean install.

ouch, and right after transfering all my files from my old PC to my mac via my ipod Sad
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackjaw wrote:
Ouch, and right after transfering all my files from my old PC to my mac via my ipod Sad

Just make sure you keep them on the iPod and you'll be fine. A clean install never hurts a computer either. I like to do them every so often just to clean out files I don't need anymore and stuff like that. Macs don't need that like Windows boxes do, but just consider it summer cleaning.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
blackjaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
blackjaw wrote:
Ouch, and right after transfering all my files from my old PC to my mac via my ipod Sad

Just make sure you keep them on the iPod and you'll be fine. A clean install never hurts a computer either. I like to do them every so often just to clean out files I don't need anymore and stuff like that. Macs don't need that like Windows boxes do, but just consider it summer cleaning.

the poor thing was just bought last saturday...i guess it wouldnt hurt anything to do a complete reinstall though...but now im a bit hesitant at all the work and might just let my mini make the noise...haha

like i said elsewhere, its 10000x less noisy than my pc
Dual G5 Fireman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: archive and install Reply with quote

You don't have to do a clean install. Do an archive and install.
Put your Tiger disk in and double click the installer. When it gives you a choice of what type of installation to do, choose archive and install. This will store your current system (10.4.2) in a folder called "previous systems". After the install, go to apple's website and find the 10.4.1 standalone update and download it - DO NOT use software update for this - it will want to install teh 10.4.2 combo update.
Once you're done, go into the previous system folder, go into the Users folder, find your account folder, and inside will be all of your stuff, documents, music, etc.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What not try a fresh install and install your stuff again? Before you actually install a lot on your mini. 10.4.2 runs fine on my mini. You don't want to stay at 10.4.1 forever do you?
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
What not try a fresh install and install your stuff again? Before you actually install a lot on your mini. 10.4.2 runs fine on my mini. You don't want to stay at 10.4.1 forever do you?

I think this is less of a want issue and more of a need issue because his Mini is now louder than loud.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any software out there that can make automatic or on demand restore points like Windows XP? With Windows XP SP2 I was able to install it test the applications and then days later uninstall SP2 witout a problem.

Apple really neads to improve upon this, reinstalling the OS or waiting for a patch is not cool. I'm just glad my upgrade went smoothly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:

I think this is less of a want issue and more of a need issue because his Mini is now louder than loud.

I don't understand what your saying. Blackjaw needs to resolve the high fan speed issue. 10.4.2 isn't likely the cause.

I'm out the door... Later.
blackjaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Susurrus wrote:

I don't understand what your saying. Blackjaw needs to resolve the high fan speed issue. 10.4.2 isn't likely the cause.

I'm out the door... Later.

any idea what the cuase is if it isnt 10.4.2?

i havent installed anything new on teh computer besides firefox and my cds and word/excel/access documents from my PC...
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Susurrus wrote:

Somebody else was talking about 10.4.2 causing their Mini's fan to spin up more than it used to.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
blackjaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
Susurrus wrote:

Somebody else was talking about 10.4.2 causing their Mini's fan to spin up more than it used to.

yeah, i figured it was normal, but then after reading that thread i started thinking and i remembered walking into my room and wondering if the darn thing was even on, and it was, and now i walk in and i can hear the fan going...i mean, it just runs....i dont know if its normal or not or what caused it

maybe im just being silly and dont want my new toy to break...haha
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running 10.4.2 with only 256MB RAM. No fan issues. Went from 10.3.7 to 10.4 to 10.4.1 to 10.4.2. I installed Tiger over 10.3.7 and the rest were upgrades through updates.

1.42MHz machine if that makes any difference. 32GB free space on the hard drive. 58 applications installed.

That's what is making me think it has to be something else.
Dual G5 Fireman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: reset pram Reply with quote

You might try resetting your pram.
Go here to get instructions - it's easy and worth trying:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: