123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best DSLR camera for under $800?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Best DSLR camera for under $800?
Canon Rebel XTi
45%
 45%  [ 9 ]
Nikon D40x
50%
 50%  [ 10 ]
Olympus EVOLT E-500
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Pentax K100D
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 20

Rightondamark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Best DSLR camera for under $800? Reply with quote

I'm in the market for a DSLR camera for like under $800 (give or take a few bucks). It's kind of a major purchase, so I'm looking for all the input/help/advice I can get. If you select other in the poll, please specify the camera.
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents own a Nikon camera, and they are very pleased with it. I'm not really familiar with this specific model, but I would get any camera with the Nikon logo on it.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably would have said the Canon Rebel a few months ago, but it's a much closer call now that Nikon has bumped the D40 up to 10MP. Those would be the two models that I would focus in on.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the Nikon D50 and had the choice to buy the D40 at the time. I prefer the full sized body of the D50.

If you want to compare

I am 100% happy with the D50, I bought it with the kit lens and bought a 18-200mm VR and a 60mm macro lens.

Costco Canada (not sure about the US store) is selling the D40 with a 18-55mm kit lens.

Clip cut and paste from link:

Big differences between the D40 and D50:
3 point autofocus points on D40 vs 5 point autofocus points on D50
D50 is compatable with AF and AF-S lenses
D40 only compatable with AF-S lenses (AF-S lenses have the focus motor in the lens. For AF lenses the motor needs to be in the body). Examples of AF lenses are 50mm f/1.8 & 85 f/1.8 and many others. See sticky post above for lenses that are compatable with the D40.
There isn't a status LCD screen on top which may or may not be an issue for people. You can only use the 2.5" LCD screen for the basic info.
I do like the 2.5" LCD screen on the D40 vs the 2" on the D50.
ranger1021

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't already, I would suggest checking out either DPreview or Steve's Digicams or both for quality reviews on most cameras. The only problem with that right now is that right now they only have previews for the Nikon D40x.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There isn't a status LCD screen on top which may or may not be an issue for people. You can only use the 2.5" LCD screen for the basic info.

I would really like to have a backlit status panel on top of my Canon. I wouldn't mind having a 2.5" primary LCD screen either. This hurts me to say being a Canon fanboy, but Nikon is where it's at under $1000.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With an SLR the size of the LCD display isn't as important to me as a point and shoot.

Reason 1: You're typically looking through the lens when taking a photo (always with manual focus). With my point and shoot I would take the photo based on what I saw on the LCD.

Reason 2: I'm doing a little more serious photography with my SLR. I don't need to show the image to family/friends etc.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shoot with this........ Sony Alpha A100H 10.2MP and this...Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Both seat Minolta's fine line of lenses from the past and the current sony lenses.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the Canon would pull ahead in the votes. It is the most popular on the market. However, I've seen comment after comment of people saying it feels too small in their hands.

I highly recommend that people hold the various SLR cameras and play around with the menus. If it doesn't feel right or the menus don't seem logical to navigate, then it probably isn't the camera for you. You will never get this info off the web. I recommend visiting a Camera store.

The other thing I would highly consider is what the camera will be used for. Can the camera be bought without the a kit lens that may not suit your needs.

Do you plan on shooting with or without a tripod? Do you want VR (vibration reduction) in the camera or in each individual lens.

SLR's can be pretty big and bulky. My Nikon D50 is a foot long with 200mm zoom extended is a foot long and it's heavy. This is why the D40 came out, it's smaller and lighter, but to me doesn't feel right.

So again I recommend you go to a store the specializes in Cameras. McBain is the store I deal with. They are awesome. There are about 10 highly educated staff members on hand. They will actually do a consultation. A good sales person may ask you questions that you hadn't even considered. They also price match and offer price protection just like Best Buy etc.

Best of luck
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ranger1021 wrote:
If you haven't already, I would suggest checking out either DPreview or Steve's Digicams or both for quality reviews on most cameras. The only problem with that right now is that right now they only have previews for the Nikon D40x.

I have been living on those sites for the last three weeks. I'm just looking for input from other sites and people.

TonyMontana wrote:
I shoot with this........ Sony Alpha A100H 10.2MP.

I just started looking into that camera. It's a little more expensive than some of the other models, but its features and styling are impressive.

Bandit Bill wrote:
Do you plan on shooting with or without a tripod? Do you want VR (vibration reduction) in the camera or in each individual lens

I plan on shooting with a small tripod from time to time, but most of the time it will be by hand. So I guess the vibration reduction would come in handy. I could be wrong, but I think the Pentax and Sony are the only ones that have it built into the camera. The rest would be through the lens. I'm sort of lost when it comes to this feature. I mean when it's built into the lens.
heavy_nutz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for the Canon, One of the teachers at my school has it and she loves it alot. She uses it for yearbook and photography club. No regrets or complaints about it yet.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to prefer the bodies, and user interface of Canons, but the included lenses aren't as nice quality as the ones included with Nikons.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I thought the Canon would pull ahead in the votes. It is the most popular on the market. However, I've seen comment after comment of people saying it feels too small in their hands.

I thought it would pull ahead too. Canon is just having so much success with their consumer line of digital cameras. It's not surprising to see that momentum carried over to the entry level DSLRs. But like I said before, Nikon is really starting to make some noise. I wouldn't disregard the D40x because it's not as quote "popular".
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive used both the rebel and the d40 and can say they both produce really good images for the price but the canon feels cheaper and like it won't last as long, I would go with the nikon.
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm pretty sure it's going to be the D40x. I'm just looking around for the best deal now. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: