123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PC User; Just ordered my own Mini - Really excited!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
e3mw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: PC User; Just ordered my own Mini - Really excited! Reply with quote

I started with computers around 1993 using a Macintosh II until one day I was given an IBM Aptiva 100 Mhz computer running Windows 95 somewhere back in 1996. Since then I've relied on PC's for my computing needs. I've had friends that have always stuck to Mac, and they finally convinced me as of 7/15/2005 that now is the best time to switch to apple with the new Tiger OS and everything. So I swallowed my 'PC pride' and ordered my own apple. I'm really excited about seeing 'the other side' for once. Cool

I don’t plan on 'switching' completely as there are still lots of things that my PC is useful for at the moment, like gaming and larger video editing projects that I find myself doing. But I do plan on becoming more of a Mac Addict, and I’ll probably invest more in Apple computers if I like my experience with the Mini.

I plan on participating at this forum whenever I can, you guys promise to help me with any questions I might have with my new Mac? Very Happy

Show me some love! Razz
30GB 5th Gen iPod | 512MB Shuffle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see you're trying out the Apple experience and to have you onboard here at 123MacMini. It should be pretty good; hopefully you've had a taste of some iPodding. If you haven't, I highly recommend the 1gig Shuffle. Of course, many people don't love the simple Shuffle like I do, Crying or Very sad.

Hopefully you bought a nice DKM to complement the Mini, as that will truly make or break the experience.

All of us here are heppy to help you with any issues you might have, just be sure to be informative when you have a problem; no such thing as too much information.

There's no smiley for love so here: Cool
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
e3mw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I got into iPodding in March 2004 with a 20GB 3rd Gen, since then I grabbed a 512 Shuffle In March 2005. I love em!

DKM... I'm assuming that stands for Display, Keyboard, Mouse? right? Yeah I've got that covered with an 17" LCD, and a logitech Wireless Keyboard, Mouse combo.

Thanks for the warm welcome! Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, DKM means Display, Keyboard, Mouse: the other half of the Mini.

Now that you're into Apple and into these forums, don't be shy. Also, check out the Pictures page here, its great for layout and product ideas for the Mini. Unfortunately, this can lead to credit card debt, so be careful. Linked here.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
e3mw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I browsed around the galleries yesterday. I particularly enjoyed all of the ways people are using their mini's ... gets me more and more anxious to see what I can do with mine! Cool

Whenever my mini comes in I'm planning on upgrading to 1GB Memory like everyone else has done. I'll need to sell the 512 stick that i bought with the mini, anyone know of a good place to put that on the auction block?

I'm thinking Amazon or Ebay... if nothing else. Hopefully I can get back some of the $50 I paid for it.

/e3mw
andp

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memory can be a tuff sell on eBay. Nice to see another switcher! Very Happy
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a for sale forum section here, I'm sure people would like a cheap upgrade to 512Mb RAM. That or eBay would be your best bets.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
blackjaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome aboard...as a new switcher myself, i think you will find the world of mac to be an amazing change from the pc world

i am really pleased with my mini and have pretty much given my old PC to my mom as i have no use for it anymore

i seriously doubt i will go back to using pc's again (other than the one at work...which i would get rid of if i had the choice)
skoone

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey e3mw,

Welcome to the group.. I'm like a lot of others as a newbie to Macs. I picked up a Mini about 2 months ago and can't get enough of it. Like you, I still have certain apps that I have to rely on a PC, but having a dual system is even more cool than before! I am finding myself moving most of my computing work over to the Mini now, I only use the PC on rare occasions. I'm now drooling over buying a Powerbook but I hate to spend that much cash on one with the Intel flavors hopefully coming out in less than a year. Don't know that I want to wait that long tho! I keep reading every now and then about "trading" apple notebooks in.. I haven't gotten that far into my research on these things yet, but being able to do an upgrade on a Powerbook later by trading in on presently owned equipment would likely be more than enough to make me go on and buy...

Regards,
Steve
Dual G5 Fireman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Welcome Reply with quote

Welcome to the Mac community. If there's anything you need help with, ask us! Susurrus and I are on the boards quite often.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Welcome Reply with quote

Dual G5 Fireman wrote:
Welcome to the Mac community. If there's anything you need help with, ask us! Susurrus and I are on the boards quite often.

Read: too often Laughing
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Dual G5 Fireman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: shutting up Reply with quote

Shutting up now. i will go away. Sad
e3mw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow guys, thanks again for the warm welcome! Razz I'm looking forward to future discussions with everyone here about Mac stuff.

And now I play the waiting game... *Thinks to himself: The 2-day shipping now seems worth it*

/e3mw
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skoone wrote:
Hey e3mw,
I'm now drooling over buying a Powerbook but I hate to spend that much cash on one with the Intel flavors hopefully coming out in less than a year.

How long until that PC becomes a doorstop?

Even us not so new Mac users are anxiously waiting for the new PowerBooks. What trade in program are you taking about?
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
e3mw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without starting a new thread I'd like to shoot a question to some of you mini owners.

One major seller for me as far as the mini goes was the fact that software like iLife shipped with it. I stood amazed at the abilities of GarageBand when I watched a friend use it. I'm sure I'll be making use of that program quite often, as I consider myself the creative type.

I got 512MB of Ram shipped with my Mini and I plan to upgrade to 1GB if i see fit, but I'd like to ask you guys, have you had any issues with Garageband or like programs on your mini? If not, what are the specs of your mini, and what have you done to improve performance in certain areas?

Thanks in advance,
/e3mw
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: