123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB wireless adapter for Mac
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
himself

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: USB wireless adapter for Mac Reply with quote

Is an AIRPORT card the only wireless alternative for a Mac, or is there a USB-style wireless adapter that is compatible?
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the Airprt extereme card. I wouldn't waste my time with a USB wireless adapter. Too may driver issues.
Gavin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is 1 USB wireless keyfob that works flawlessly with the right drivers.

I am not at home right now, but will post the model and link to the drivers when I get back.

D-Link's DWL-122 (I think)

Here is a link to the latest and WORKING drivers (1.4.7 driver).

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/archives/sep04/091704.html

THIS WORKS REALLY WELL AND DOESNT DROP THE CONNECTION DUE TO STANDBY
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That model has been a nightmare in the past. It was very touch and go. It'll be interesting to see how what kind of response these new drivers get.
himself

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: USB wireless adapter for Mac Reply with quote

Many thanks for the suggestions, both pro & con
aplowe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's usually cheaper and more efficient to bridge two wireless routers - though it does mean you have another small box near the mini. My mini is connected (via ethernet cable) to a belkin 54g router which is wirelessly connected to the internet via an airport express in another room.

Ta,

Adam.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aplowe wrote:
It's usually cheaper and more efficient to bridge two wireless routers - though it does mean you have another small box near the mini. My mini is connected (via ethernet cable) to a belkin 54g router which is wirelessly connected to the internet via an airport express in another room.

Ta,

Adam.

You can pick up one or two of those Belkin 54g routers on the the cheap after rebate. It's really easy to bridge two of them together in the control panel. I have two of these.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=201522&pcount=&Product_Id=136493
blueshead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used this http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=201523&pcount=&Product_Id=122761

belkin f5d6050 on my old lombard..you can d/l drivers for 10.1,10.2,10.3 don't know if it will run on tiger..my boss also has one..i'll borrow it and see if it runs in tiger.

New Orleans:Proud to Swim Home
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you run 802.11b nowadays? I'd say go with the router. I posted a link to getting it for $40 in the Off Topic forum.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
castaway

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why would you run 802.11b nowadays?

Got me! The difference between 802.11b and 802.11g is like night and day. I would stay away from wireless USB adapters and get AE.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

castaway wrote:
Quote:
Why would you run 802.11b nowadays?

Got me! The difference between 802.11b and 802.11g is like night and day. I would stay away from wireless USB adapters and get AE.

Well, you can get 802.11g USB adapters, though having it internal would be a lot nicer. If you can afford the $90-100 I would recommend getting the internal AE kit. You get Bluetooth too!
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
blueshead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all you want at a home is an internet connection..my choice is good..Your Internet speeds depend on the speed of your ISP..Whereas G is 54 megs and B is 11 megs yer home connection is not..And this Antenna on B has a one block or longer range..If your in an Office with 50 comps hooked up.. of course you want G..but for at home?

New Orleans:Proud to Swim Home
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueshead wrote:
If all you want at a home is an internet connection..my choice is good..Your Internet speeds depend on the speed of your ISP..Whereas G is 54 megs and B is 11 megs yer home connection is not..And this Antenna on B has a one block or longer range..If your in an Office with 50 comps hooked up.. of course you want G..but for at home?

Why wouldn't you want it at home? Once you have all of that wireless encryption and EC going on, you straight back down to 11mbps, though that's actual thoroughput, unlike with B. Also, most B products don't support the new AES WPA2.0 security standards that EVERYONE should be using, as far as I understand it.

Why would you want a block of range? That's more people who can access your network, causing security nightmares.

The speed of the networkk matters beyond your ISP's speed because if you're doing data transfer or streaming media, you won't be able to do that with B unless you're playing 128kbps media.

G is cheap, run with it.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
philpro68

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone here had the Airport wireless installed afterwards? Were there any problems?
Austin MacTexas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my AE wifi/bluetooth at my local Apple store a week after I bought MacMini from CompUSA. They installed for free, while I waited, and it has functioned flawlessly ever since.
IMO, don't waste your time w/ the non-Apple wifi hardware. That little bit of money you might save, will cost you in headaches down the road. Get the bluetooth version too. My wife is always looking for good gadgets to get me at birthday and christmas time, so I've put a wireless Apple keyboard on my wish list for her. My next cell phone is gonna have bluetooth. Funny how that was never a requirement for a cell phone, before I got my wonderful MacMini.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: