123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini wont start Classic!?!?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outlaw20

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Mac Mini wont start Classic!?!? Reply with quote

I have a mac mini running TIger OS X 10.4.2 and i just used my old mac os 9 install cd with 9.2 to install a classic folder, but when i try to start classic the load bar doesnt move and it never starts. I have reinstalled it many time, even restarted right after install. Nothing works. Im fed up, i want to play some Doom 2 and Diablo 2 w/o all these damn problems. This is the only major Macintosh flaw i have found.
External 200GB Maxtor Drive
Soon*External DVD burner
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, games are pretty much the only flaw with Macs.

Onto your dilemma. It seems like there is an option during the installation of Tiger to install Classic extensions and that you need to enable that to get Classic to work.

Have you tried playing with any of the options in the SysPrefs? It seems that Classic should install some preference panes that have some options. Maybe one of those options is what you need.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
oldskoolboarder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W/ my new Mini, I used the install CD that came w/ it to install Classic. Works well w/ REALLY old CDs, even down to OS7. But, I do wish it was windowed, I hate having to run it single threaded.
outlaw20

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THe disc im using is the one that came with the mini. It isnt an actual os 9.2 its the assitant thing or w/e. I have installed it over and over, even restarting and nothing is working, not even changing settings.
Soon*External DVD burner
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outlaw20 wrote:
THe disc im using is the one that came with the mini. It isnt an actual os 9.2 its the assitant thing or w/e. I have installed it over and over, even restarting and nothing is working, not even changing settings.

Have you tried completely reformatting the machine and reinstalling OS X, updating the OS completely and then installing Classic? You should also update Classic all the way before trying to actually use it.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
outlaw20

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do i update it? Ive used software update, but should i use version tracker or another site?
Soon*External DVD burner
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outlaw20 wrote:
how do i update it? Ive used software update, but should i use version tracker or another site?

I believe that's the way to update it. I don't think VersionTracker carries Apple updates.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Dual G5 Fireman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: OS X installer for Diablo Reply with quote

Hey there's an OS X installer patch on Blizzard's website for most of their games. Makes them run natively in OS X. Which is, of course, nice. Games are not a strong suit for Macs, but the situation is improving.
outlaw20

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THx for all the replies. Its still not working, but maybe ill just get an old mac w/ os 9 on it.
Soon*External DVD burner
TaleRocker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Can't get classic to work? Reply with quote

It's been a while- did you get anywhere?

I just picked up this mini last friday, tried to load an OS 9 version of Dreamweaver, and Toast, got through the process of loading classic into Tiger with the installation disk this mini came with, loaded dreamweaver, tried to use it, it was buggy, things started flashing, I quit trying to use that, then everything I tried to use brought up the error message, "i, [this application] is not supported by Classic"

so I trashed a few things, ended up needing to re run the install disk. maybe I clicked the wrong thing- but... Appleworks disappeared (oh no-) restore software didn't bring it back. (It's a plot by microsoft! they want me to rot my mind using "Wird"- gack- )

bunch of other things too- like I want the pull down menu back in the upper right corner that shows you what you have running, and allows you to switch between them? the dock sux. what did they do to sherlock?

jobs says os 9 is dead. do we know for certain that jobs isn't dead, a mere husk being manipulated by microsoft puppeteers?

shrug. Didja give up or what?

I got a couple things to work in Classic, just not what I really needed. (and I have a G3 Yosemite and a 7300 with a G3/233 MHz card in it to back me up here-

Yeah I know, I talk too much.

.....Jim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: