123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Lowers Prices on Cinema Displays
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Apple Lowers Prices on Cinema Displays Reply with quote

Apple Lowers Prices on Cinema Displays
Wednesday, April 4, 2007
Posted by: Brian

Apple today lowered the prices on its line of Cinema Displays across the board. That means the "D" in BYODKM for the Mac mini just got a little more affordable. The 20-inch Cinema Display offering 1680 x 1050 resolution is now priced at $599, down from $699. The mid-range 23-inch Cinema HD offering 1920 x 1200 resolution is now priced at $899, down from $999. And the 30-inch Cinema HD model now retails for $1799, down from $1999. It should be noted that the 30-inch Cinema HD is not compatible with the Mac mini. Each Cinema Display features two FireWire 400 ports and two USB 2.0 ports, and support the Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA) mounting interface standard.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/629.html
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great news. Though they still are pretty steep in price, it's good that Apple decided to lower them.

Does this mean new Cinema Displays soon?
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyPod wrote:
Does this mean new Cinema Displays soon?

I don't think anything is imminent, but I wouldn't be rushing out and buying one. I think the Cinema will be one the products that Apple updates before the end of the year. They could still do a better job on the pricing too. I think the current prices still need to be dropped another $100-150 buckaroos to become competitive. That being said, they are still gorgeous and worth a slight premium over most displays out there. Slight being the keyword. Laughing
iLife's a Bitch!
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have lowered the prices twice now, and they are still expensive compared to Dell and other companys monitors.

You're right, they could do a better job on their pricing. Then again, they are the nicest displays on the market (in my opinion), so they should be priced a little more than their competition.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Apple needs to refresh the Cinemas pretty bad. The lackluster panel specs and lack of extra inputs is really starting to date them. Adding HDMI, component and a built-in iSight camera would probably go a long way towards changing my attitude towards them. Well...that and maybe another price cut. Until they do that, it's hard to beat a Dell.

Last edited by Ben Tex on Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_tex wrote:
I think Apple needs to refresh the Cinemas pretty bad. The lackluster panel specs and lack of extra inputs are really starting to date them. Adding HDMI, component and a built-in iSight camera would probably go a long way towards changing my attitude towards them. Well...that and maybe another price cut. Until they do that, it's hard to beat Dell.

Dell is a better buy, that's for shure. If I was in the market looking between an ACD and a Dell, it would be a very hard decision.

I think the Dell's arent THAT bad looking anyways. They look pretty sharp with a mac.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyPod wrote:
I think the Dell's arent THAT bad looking anyways. They look pretty sharp with a mac.

Dell has done a much better job with the styling of their LCDs over the last year or so. I think the new 24" and 27" models are really good looking. I really like the silver bezel and black coloring on the 27" 2707WFP.
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually liked Dell's 05' displays better than any other. Their 24" '05 model looked really sharp in my opinion.

Hopefully Apple's next display line will be more in the range of Dell's prices.
Dinshaw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good news for someone like myself, who just happens to be in the market for the 23-inch model. I would also get the education discount, so the price would be $799. The bad news is, I'm a little afraid to buy one now. I have a feeling that Apple might be coming out with new displays soon. At least that's what all the rumors floating around would make you think. I just want to know one thing. Why are these buying decisions always so hard when it comes to Apple products? They make such nice equipment, but you always feel like something better is coming right around the corner. I just went trough this same process before buying my Mac mini. It's mentally exhausting! Laughing
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dinshaw wrote:
This is good news for someone like myself, who just happens to be in the market for the 23-inch model. I would also get the education discount, so the price would be $799. The bad news is, I'm a little afraid to buy one now. I have a feeling that Apple might be coming out with new displays soon. At least that's what all the rumors floating around would make you think. I just want to know one thing. Why are these buying decisions always so hard when it comes to Apple products? They make such nice equipment, but you always feel like something better is coming right around the corner. I just went trough this same process before buying my Mac mini. It's mentally exhausting! Laughing

If one could look into Steve Jobs' brain! Laughing I bought my MacMini G4 1.5 in January 2006, enough said... Rolling Eyes
sp468732

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had an unlimited cash supply, I would get the ACD. Since that will never happen, it's Dell monitors for me. At this point, you just can't beat them for the most bang for you buck.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the same boat as everyone else. It's nice that they lowered the price. But for what you pay for them, you'd think they would include an iSight by now. I'm still going to be an ACD-less Mac owner for the time being.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have a dilemma now.... I am in the market for a 23" ACD and I was waiting until NAB for an announcement for the Mac Pro and new ACDs. If they don't update the ACD on the 15th I will have to exercise some serious self-control to not buy one of these with my student discount...

-jb
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professional monitors don't need HDMI, memory card slots, iSight cameras etc.

Not all displays are created equal and higher specs doesn't mean better quality. Do you really think pros, who typically buy their equipment based on logical needs not emotional needs buy ACDs and Eizo brand displays because Dell's are better value?

We're not talking consumer products here. If you have a Mac mini, you are probably better off buying a Dell monitor, but comparing them and hoping for consumer features and pricing is like comparing the Mac mini to the Mac Pro. It doesn't make sense.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Professional monitors don't need HDMI, memory card slots, iSight cameras etc.

Not all displays are created equal and higher specs doesn't mean better quality. Do you really think pros, who typically buy their equipment based on logical needs not emotional needs buy ACDs and Eizo brand displays because Dell's are better value?

We're not talking consumer products here. If you have a Mac mini, you are probably better off buying a Dell monitor, but comparing them and hoping for consumer features and pricing is like comparing the Mac mini to the Mac Pro. It doesn't make sense.
Simmer down Bill. It just makes it all the more reason Apple needs to make at least one consumer display. Also given the fact there are no individual iSights to be had, anywhere (except for eBay and the like). Sure "pros" don't need an iSight. But it would be nice to have the option of obtaining one if you purchase a Mac without a built-in iSight. I'm sure a Mac Pro user might not want it, but on the other hand I'm sure there are a few Mac Mini owners out there. Plus there is an iSight on one "Pro" machine, the MacBook Pro.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: