123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shortcuts and Apple keyboard and mouse.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
indahouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Shortcuts and Apple keyboard and mouse. Reply with quote

First off, how great is the Mac mini! Very Happy

Does anybody know of a keyboard shortcut to open Spotlight?

What are the keyboard shortcuts for copy and paste? I'm using a cheap keyboard without the Apple symbols.

How good is battery life with the Apple wireless keyboard and mouse? Can you turn them off with like a switch when they are not in use? I was thinking about buying them soon.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Shortcuts and Apple keyboard and mouse. Reply with quote

indahouse wrote:
First off, how great is the Mac mini! Very Happy

Does anybody know of a keyboard shortcut to open Spotlight?

What are the keyboard shortcuts for copy and paste? I'm using a cheap keyboard without the Apple symbols.

How good is battery life with the Apple wireless keyboard and mouse? Can you turn them off with like a switch when they are not in use? I was thinking about buying them soon.

I know the wireless mouse has a switch. It's pretty nifty, though if you plan on gaming, I would definitely recommend at least a two-button. I'm not sure about the keyboard because I only have the mouse.

I found an Apple support document here that lists all shortcuts for OS X and has links for more at the bottom. It also shows the key combos for options at startup. I would copy it to this post, but it's formatted so nicely on their page.

For using a Windows keyboard, which I assume you are because pretty much all cheap keyboards are for Windows, the Windows logo is the same as the Apple/command key.

For OS X, basically most Windows shortcuts that involve control just use the Apple key. Like ctrl+v (paste) is Apple+v on OS X.

As for the Spotlight question. Copied straight from Apple's website:

Apple wrote:
Spotlight Menu Shortcut

If you use Spotlight all the time and want to search without lifting your hands off of the keyboard, there’s a hot key that will instantly open up the Spotlight menu, ready for you to type in your search phrase. The default keyboard shortcut is set to command-space but you can set it to any sequence you like using the Spotlight system preference.

1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
indahouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not really a gamer. My sons are big gamers but they've been ordered to stay off the Mac mini. This is my computer! Finally something for me! I'm going to order the Apple wireless keyboard-mouse and the Belkin mini USB hub. The old Visa card is getting a small workout here between the Mac mini, new desk, and all these new toys.

Command-space for Spotlight! I didn't even realize you could change the shortcuts for it in system preferences. I'm having a fun time learning my way around OS X. I was bored with Windows and needed a new challenge. Again, thanks for the reply!
blackjaw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, im learning all the quick keys too...i love that you can basically control everything from the keyboard
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackjaw wrote:
yeah, im learning all the quick keys too...i love that you can basically control everything from the keyboard

It's almost like a UNIX system!! Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: