123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple TV and 120GB drive on their way
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Apple TV and 120GB drive on their way Reply with quote

Well that didn't take long to pull a 180! I just ordered an Apple TV and a 120GB drive from Newegg. I decided to bite after seeing that the hard drive can upgraded and some of the other hacks that are going on. Now I need to order one of those USB to IDE (maybe with SATA) 2.5"/3.5"drive adapters. I could probably buy a cheap 2.5" enclosure for the transfer, but I've always wanted to have one of those adapters around. There are a ton of them on Newegg to choose from. Does anyone here have one that they could recommend? Decisions, decisions!
stanski

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still waiting for somebody to try a 160GB HDD. I am wondering if the bios can support over 136GB. I am sure it will, but I don't want to buy one until I am certain it will work.
100 GB 7200rpm Hard Drive

MacBook
2.16 Core 2 Duo
2 Gigs RAM
250 GB 5400rpm Hard Drive

Mac Pro (Hackintosh)
2.4 Core 2 Duo
4 Gigs Ram
1 TB Hard Drive

And yes I own the Leopard Family License
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple TV and 120GB drive on their way Reply with quote

Ben_tex wrote:
Now I need to order one of those USB to IDE (maybe with SATA) 2.5"/3.5"drive adapters.

I don't personally own one, but I would definitely get one that is compatible with SATA. After all, everything is going that way.

Here are two from more reputable companies. The one from Rosewill is available on Newegg.

http://www.rosewill.com/product/product.aspx?productId=451

http://www.newertech.com/products/usb2_adapt.php

stanski wrote:
I am still waiting for somebody to try a 160GB HDD. I am wondering if the bios can support over 136GB. I am sure it will, but I don't want to buy one until I am certain it will work.

Yeah, I haven't seen an article that mentions a 160GB swap. I bet it will work fine though.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I don't personally own one, but I would definitely get one that is compatible with SATA. After all, everything is going that way.

True. I don't want this to be a one shot thing. I would like to be able to use it with different drives in the future. I'm going to go ahead and order the Rosewill from Newegg. Thanks for the input!
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was ready to go tonight with a 80GB HDD, but the iPartition site is down for the count. Sad
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iPartition site is back up! I have to admit, I'm a little concerned about putting a 5400-RPM drive in here. The external casing of the Apple TV sure is warm to the touch. I hope steeping up to a 5400-RPM drive doesn't cause a meltdown or cause the drive to prematurely fail. I would never consider putting a 7200-RPM in here. Shocked
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazer wrote:
I'm a little concerned about putting a 5400-RPM drive in here. The external casing of the Apple TV sure is warm to the touch. I hope steeping up to a 5400-RPM drive doesn't cause a meltdown or cause the drive to prematurely fail. I would never consider putting a 7200-RPM in here. Shocked

I was thinking the same thing after reading through some of the guides online yesterday. That's why I bought the Fujitsu 120GB MHV2120AT from Newegg. From what I've read, its specs are exactly the same as the stock 40GB drive in the Apple TV. That means it spins at the same 4200RPM. It was a little more expensive than some of the other 120GB models, but I think it's worth it. I did not want to chance using a faster drive that might generate more heat.

Last edited by Ben Tex on Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense to Ben tex or blazer, but I can't figure out why so may people are interested in upgrading the hard drive? Don't the streaming capabilities make it sort of unnecessary? And it's possible that Apple may enable the USB port for external storage in the future. I don't see anything wrong with hacking, but I just don't see the benefits. Right now this just seems like a good way to void your warranty.
garty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aquaman wrote:
No offense to Ben tex or blazer, but I can't figure out why so may people are interested in upgrading the hard drive? Don't the streaming capabilities make it sort of unnecessary? And it's possible that Apple may enable the USB port for external storage in the future. I don't see anything wrong with hacking, but I just don't see the benefits. Right now this just seems like a good way to void your warranty.

I was wondering the same thing.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aquaman wrote:
No offense to Ben tex or blazer, but I can't figure out why so may people are interested in upgrading the hard drive?

None taken. I have five reasons.
1. I'll be able to set up video hacks while swapping out the drives.
2. I'll be able to play most of my content without a computer on.
3. I'll be able to have a much larger photo collection on my Apple TV. You reportedly can't stream photos at this time.
4. I have way more than 32GB worth of stuff. I don't feel like cutting songs or TV shows. I just want everything there (I guess this relates to #2). I'll still stream over some movies that are set up as aliases in iTunes. I mean 120GB isn't going to last forever either. I would be all for Apple opening up that USB port. It's so lame having it there for service only. I would have liked to been in the meeting for that decision. Mad
5. I like cheating the man! Laughing
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally if I had all those reasons. I would just set-up a mini in the living room.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Personally if I had all those reasons. I would just set-up a mini in the living room.

That's not a bad idea. Laughing

I want to keep the Mac mini in my bedroom. I use it as my primary machine now. You are right though, the Mac mini makes a better HTPC type machine. I probably could have been on my way to having another Mac mini with the money I spent. This Apple TV should still be fun to play around with though. Who knows where it may end up in the future. These aren't the last of my Apple purchases. Very Happy
cuvtixo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Projects for Nerds Reply with quote

For one thing, the usb port does not seem to be disabled, just not officially supported. However, swapping out the hard drive seems like a fun little challenge, maybe a weekend project. What shocks me is people who are paying for someone else to upgrade the drive!
Personally, I've been trying unsuccessfully to convince my parents to let me install an HTPC for years. Even a mini was out of the question: they don't trust any newfangled computer attached to the HDTV. But ... their Apple TV is on its way!!! Very Happy Wink
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Projects for Nerds Reply with quote

cuvtixo wrote:
For one thing, the usb port does not seem to be disabled, just not officially supported. However, swapping out the hard drive seems like a fun little challenge, maybe a weekend project.

I think it will be fun. Very Happy

I was going to do it this weekend, but DHL let me down. My drive is probably sitting in a warehouse across town. Mad

cuvtixo wrote:
What shocks me is people who are paying for someone else to upgrade the drive! :

These are the only reasons I can think of.
1. The person doesn't have the skills to do the upgrade.
2. It sounds like some of these services might keep the warranty in tact.

It makes absolutely no sense from a money standpoint. Especially seeing that you don't need to purchase iPartition anymore.
Livenstak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What shocks me is people who are paying for someone else to upgrade the drive!

Actually I am one of the these people (not for the AppleTV, generally speaking). Sorry to shock. Ben_tex got it (almost) in one. I think I may have the skills, but I have money to pay for it, and things that I find more valuable to do with my time (that's only me though, I don't judge).
And I am scared as hell of messing it up : cuvtixo, I don't know if you're married, but opening an electronics device, get to change something, and then realizing that it's not working anymore, when your wife needs it for whatever reason, is NOT my idea of a fun weekend (anybody with me?). Wink So I rely on the experts ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: