123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tiger and fan issues?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manicpanic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Tiger and fan issues? Reply with quote

I have had my 1.42 Mini for about a month now. The first day I got it I installed the Tiger upgrade that was included in the box. I recently noticed that the fan in my Mini seemed to be running often. It was either running at what seemed like a medium speed all the time, or full speed during high processor usage. I did purchase a 1 GB memory chip, installed it, then took it out and returned it. It was a generic Kingston, and I have read online that it is better to get RAM made to work with Apple firmware. I will be ordering one from Critical. So I am back to the 256 MB. To be honest I paid little attention to the fan while the 1 GB chip was in. So totally frustrated with the fan noise I opted to reinstall Panther. Problem Solved, or in part. The fan is quite only kicking on when needed and quickly slowing back down. The new problem I want to use Tiger. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Is it just that Tiger uses more RAM? Sorry for the wordy post, any insight would be appreciated!
slickrick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you doing anything else different like playing games, visiting heavy flash sites, streaming video, or watching movies? Upgrading your memory shouldn't make the fan come any more or less. You might have got a bad memory stick.
manicpanic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No the fan was staying on even when only the finder was open. I couldn't be bad memory because I took it out and returned it. Now that I am running 10.3 the fan does kick on when I do things such a use dreamweaver or any other taxing program. The difference is that it does slow back down now. With 10.4 it was just staying on. The only other thing I can think of is I had originally installed 10.4 on the UNIX file system. Now 10.3 is installed on the Mac Journal Extended file system. Could that make a difference? I use my Mini for everything, I'm sure sometimes pushing it to it's limit. I'm not expecting the fan to never come on, but the whole non-stop thing is a problem. I really want to reinstall 10.4 but if the problem returns that means I'll be installing 10.3 again.

Must add even with this minor problem... so glad to be done with Windows for good.
slickrick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you re-install 10.4 do the 10.4.2 update. It might help!
manicpanic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did have the 10.4.2 update installed... I'm going to just reinstall 10.4, get all the updates, and then just listen carefully to the fan as I change, install, add anything... thanks for the input!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mini came with 10.3.7 installed. I upgraded to 10.4 then 10.4.1 now 10.4.2.

I only have 256MB RAM. The only time the fan has sped up is when I played a game. The rest of time it has only whispered at its lowest speed. That's been over 1 month of daily use now.

Last edited by Bandit Bill on Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:32 am; edited 1 time in total
manicpanic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I reinstalled 10.4. I'm downloading the 10.4.2 update as we speak. So far the fan seems to be fine running the same as with 10.3 just a whisper. The only thing I really did different is to install the OS on the Mac Journaled Extended file system and not the Unix. Read that the Unix file system can cause problems for most users and that there is only a very small % that need it. So maybe that was it. Possible using the Unix file system was requireing more processing power?
manicpanic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seem my whole computer is running faster... way less pinwheels... coolness... I'm happy, just hope it stays this way...
manicpanic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's for sure. Using the Unix Files system was causing my computer to work harder and slower. Using the Journal Extended has made everything so much quicker. The fan is so quite now. This rocks. I can have more then one or two apps. open now. Smile And I thought the Unix file system would have been better. So wrong...
slickrick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear! I would've never thought of that in a thousand years. Everything else is running smooth?
manicpanic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect... Talked to a friend of mine tonight who is into the whole Unix side of OS X. He said it mad perfect sense to him (wish I would have know to bring this up a month ago). I guess OS X is made to run for normal use on the Mac Journal Extended File system, which combines both Journaling and Unix. The Unix file system is much less integrated and compatible. I also went to the "For Dummies" site and it said not to install OS X on the Unix file system for any reason, that it will cause problems. Well problem fix, and everything is still perfect. All but half my iTunes library (2,000 songs) I forgot to back up! Oops! It will take some time to rip a that again...
blackjaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, my mini's fan seems to be running at low/medium speed all the time....all i do is firefox and ichat

i dont remember how it was before, but i think it was a bit quieter

but i mean, its still 1000% more quiet than that damn 400watt power supply in my old PC
castaway

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to monitor the temperature of the Mac mini's processor ?
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackjaw wrote:
yeah, my mini's fan seems to be running at low/medium speed all the time....all i do is firefox and ichat

i dont remember how it was before, but i think it was a bit quieter

but i mean, its still 1000% more quiet than that damn 400watt power supply in my old PC

I've noticed the same thing! The fan runs on low all the time and you can feel air being blown out the back. It isn't loud, but there's been a distinct change in fan activity since I installed 10.4.2. Confused
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

castaway wrote:
Is there a way to monitor the temperature of the Mac mini's processor ?

I've read that there isn't a temperature probe that you can use to see the Mini's temperature, but that wouldn't make sense because the computer needs to know when to rev up the fan and such. There has to be a sensor somewhere that controls the fan.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: