123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Mac User- Mac Mini Help me Decide- PC User for 7 Years!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andp wrote:
The one pixel image is the biggest source of spam on the internet. It tells the evil-doers....we got a live one! Laughing

And it does not matter what OS you use it is a problem with the mail client, thats why I use Thunderbird it blocks loading images by default (Mail loads mages by default). The image is linkes to your email address and when it's loaded they know your account is active and you get more spam.

susurrus wrote:
Also, where do you guys get all of this spyware? The only "spyware" I get are tracker cookies and 1-pixel images. I don't get virii either. I don't run anti-spyware apps on my computer and only have virus scan on my computer because it was preinstalled.

I don't get spyware either I use Firefox and have stoppped using P2P software a long time ago, but i have made quite a bit of money cleaning it off of others computers who in turn always ask me how they got it. As for virus scanning, if you run Windows and are connected to the Internet and/or use e-mail it needs to be there.

Dual G5 Fireman wrote:
The users of PC forums are just angry and bitter 'cause they have to deal with Microcrap

Zealots and rude people are OS independant.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homerjatmoes wrote:
And it does not matter what OS you use it is a problem with the mail client, thats why I use Thunderbird it blocks loading images by default (Mail loads mages by default). The image is linked to your email address and when it's loaded they know your account is active and you get more spam.

Why would you select your email application based, apparently, on solely its ability to block pictures by default? That's an option in, as far as I know, every email app. Entourage also blocks images by default I believe. I use it, but I can't remember.

homerjatmoes wrote:
I don't get spyware either I use Firefox and have stoppped using P2P software a long time ago, but i have made quite a bit of money cleaning it off of others computers who in turn always ask me how they got it. As for virus scanning, if you run Windows and are connected to the Internet and/or use e-mail it needs to be there.

Turn off ActiveX controls. Don't open email attachments with reckless abandonment. The only time I have needed my virus program was because I did something very stupid that I did only because I knew I was "safe" because of my antivirus program.

homerjatmoes wrote:
Zealots and rude people are OS independant.

Word.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
rosco

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacGuy wrote:
You guy's think I'll get used to Mac easy? Rolling Eyes

I bought my Mini cold - never used a Mac in my life. I took it out of the box, plugged everything in and was on the net (via wireless LAN) inside of ten minutes.

Once I got used to how menus are at the top of the screen instead of on the windows it was a piece of cake. I keep finding little things I need to get used to, but I even have what looks very like the XP Start menu now.
Dual G5 Fireman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: internet Reply with quote

Yeah, one of the first things I noticed when I upgraded to Jaguar 3 years ago was how great its automatic network configuring was. I've never seen anything better. Much better than any "wizard". heh heh..
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
Why would you select your email application based, apparently, on solely its ability to block pictures by default? That's an option in, as far as I know, every email app. Entourage also blocks images by default I believe. I use it, but I can't remember.

Why? I value security and hate spam. As an IT your taught to lock everything down and only enable what is truly needed. I also use Thunderbird and Firefox because I can use them on Windows, Linux, and now OS X, it was nice to have applications that I am comfortable with while learning OS X.

Entourage and Outlook 2003 block images by default it just makes sense to me. I do not need the majority of features that Entourage/Outlook has so I don't use them.

Susurrus wrote:
Turn off ActiveX controls. Don't open email attachments with reckless abandonment.

That is a great start but creators of viruses and spyware/adware are getting very incidious. Viruses can be launched by just clicking on the mail to delete it if preview is enabled (which it is by default on most if not all email clients). Thunderbird is the only email client I know of that can delete an email without ever clicking on it, mark it junk move all email marked junk to the trash and empty the trash, brilliant!

I may sound paranoid but being paranoid is part of my job description. The email on the network I administer gets scanned for viruses 3 times by 3 different anti-virus systems, at the firewall, at the server, and at the desktop. Needless to say we have not had a virus in over 2 years since this was implemented.[/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rosco wrote:
I even have what looks very like the XP Start menu now.

How?? I am an orginization freak and it is one of the things I miss the most. The dock is great but I only want my most used apps there like I use quicklaunch in XP. I know I can organize the Applications folder but it is just not the same when you are used to the start menu.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homerjatmoes wrote:
The dock is great but I only want my most used apps there like I use quicklaunch in XP.

You can just put your most used apps in the dock. Right click on the one you don't want there and select "remove from dock". The ones you do want there, that may not be there presently, just drag the icon to the dock from your applications folder.
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have done that, I just want a menu system for quicker access to my other lesser used apps.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:

I use Thunderbird due to the Enigmail plugin. Seamless PGP integration.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homerjatmoes wrote:
Yes I have done that, I just want a menu system for quicker access to my other lesser used apps.

Go to Finder > Macintosh HD > Applications > Drag your Applications folder down next to the Trash on the dock and leave it. If you have a right button on your mouse right click the Applications folder in the dock. Got the Apple mouse, hold the Ctrl button on your keyboard and click your mouse "Ctrl+click". All your Apps will show up like a Windows Start Menu.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Dual G5 Fireman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Dock extender Reply with quote

Dock Extender is what you're looking for. Here's the website:
http://www.codetek.com/dockextender/?PHPSESSID=322ab1bd97d3be37a97fd5406791846c

It's a pretty cool app that replicates the features of the start menu in a mac - like way.
MacGuy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know whats the MAX monitor resolution you can run at??

I will be running the Mac Mini for now on my CRT monitor. Shocked

My resolution is now at 1024x768.... But when I work on Photoshop I run the resolution at 1280x1024.

Can I do the same with the Mac Mini? Rolling Eyes
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max resolutions are: 1920 x 1200 for DVI, 1920 x 1080 for VGA.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPGMail

This is for you, Mavherzog; it's PGP for Mail.app and is Tiger compatible. I figured I'd post it here in case someone else is looking for this for Mail.app.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
WC3_Gamer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is used in finland, thas where my mom's from, went there last summer, lol, I'm surprised they have finnish users on that..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: