123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple TV Cables
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little surprised by this thread. First off, I don't know why anyone would call cables an add-on for the Apple TV. Without a couple of them, you're going to be staring at your Apple TV doing nothing. It probably would have been nice for Apple to include a Component and RCA cables in the box with the Apple TV, but that's another story. Now on to Monster cables. I bought a couple sets of their standard THX cables for my setup and they have worked out well. I bought 3 sets of RCAs, 2 Components and an S-Video. Did they cost a little more than cables from Radio Shack? Yes! Do they provide a better picture and less interference? Yes! How do I know this? They replaced cheapo cables from Radio Shack. Laughing I'm not saying that all the Monster cables are good deals, but they do have different lines at various prices. JMTC
ecking

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Forget the cables! I want that HDMI switcher when I reorder my ATV. I saw it on here before, but that thing looks really nice for $100 bucks. They didn't have any pictures or details about it at the time. Hell, it even comes with a remote. Does anyone know of a better quality or nicer looking HDMI switcher in that price range? I don't.

Here's a pic devo:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/canadastore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=6C04E07A&nplm=TM083ZM%2FA
stevenz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
stevenz wrote:
Seeing as how all the Monster cables are just tricked-out standard cables and "any old thing" will do the job in lieu, this doesn't seem much like mac news but more like an advertisement for Monster, and with their exorbitant prices, I hardly think they need more income. (I mean really, $30 for an optical cable!?)

As cool as it is, it's not like the Apple TV is going to output anything near audiophile/videophile grade output.

These are pretty strong opinions for someone who likely has never seen or heard the AppleTV..

Bar the Monster stuff, I'd argue that the AppleTV comments aren't really opinions, but fact. The primary media being played by the AppleTV will be fairly heavily compressed video. The miniscule amount of potential artifacts produced by cheap cables being used in a setup with heavy RF interference, will be very likely to exceed the noticable artifacts produced by the compression of the original imaging. if the AppleTV will do upsampling and videoprocessing of the same grade of a $1000 DVD player, then fine, but I'd be willing to bet good money that it doesn't. I've never been very impressed with the quality of most DVDs except those produced in double-disk formats where the first disk is ONLY the movie so they're not too badly compressed, the other ones where the disk is wasting a gigabyte or 2 on multiple language tracks and useless extras just degrades the video to a more and more noticable level.

The AppleTV does NOT justify high-end cables unless you need the additional shielding to compensate for a poor setup. I'm sure it's a great device and I'd like to have one, but it's not a high-end device.

Audio quality is irrelevant, over any normal run (~2metres) a $5 optical cable and a $50 optical cable will produce a signal of such quality as to be audibly indistinguishable by anyone except the high-end golden-ear audiophiles who wouldn't even contemplate touching something as "low-end" as the Apple-TV. (aka people with far too much money).If the difference is easily noticable, then either something is faulty or something is set up wrong. Unless your system is generating significant amounts of dirty RF and you're not capable of wiring correctly to compensate, even a cheap coaxial lead for AC3 should be indistinguishable from a "high-end" optical lead. If you (believe you) can tell the difference, more power to you, but unless there's massive interference, a digital signal is a digital signal. if you have that level of interference, then you've got bigger problems.

I can't tell the difference between my $250 HDMI cable (early adopter, no alternatives) and my $5 component leads on a Sony V-series Bravia from a mid-range ($300) DVD player so maybe I'm not the target market though.
JamesE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Analog audio and video DO need the extra shielding and it's one of only two reasons to spend a little extra on cables, The other is to get decent connectors that are made to spec and actually fit. Ever bought a cheep cable that won't stay connected? I have.

Right now my analog audio cables are of a decent quality but even they are not what would be called audiophile, The reason I spent a little extra for these is so I could place them in close proximity to power cables without getting interference. My analog video cables on the other hand are the cheep ones that came packaged with the equipment and I have to run my TV power cable away from them (in full view and not nice to look at) or the picture quality suffers. (There on the shopping list) Smile

Digital cables however are different to analog cables because the signal is different and they are also less susceptible to interference than analog cables. If the signal gets there on a cheep digital cable it will be exactly the same as on an expensive cable. These so called audiophile digital cables are nothing but a scam to make you spend more money. Would you spend $150 on a "Gold plated super wicked better than the rest USB cable"? I doubt it and I would consider the cable that is connected to a backup drive more important that one connected to a TV.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically when it comes to optical cables, it either works or it doesn't. It doesn't perform any better or less than the next "working" cable. Sure there can be a difference in the quality of fiber, to a cheap plastic type core optical cable. But that would only make a difference if you were running the cable over a long length.

But as with any cables or any purchase for that matter, research it. You can find many great quality cables from monoprice or other sites. They cut out the retailer, which saves you the extra 150% price margin increase for the retailer. So instead of paying $50 for a cable, you can pay $20 (that can even include the shipping!).

When you buy products, marketed directly for your product.. sure that can be a piece of mind that it works. But you are also paying for the marketing costs, packaging and who knows what (made for iPod program costs?)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesE wrote:
The other is to get decent connectors that are made to spec and actually fit. Ever bought a cheep cable that won't stay connected? I have.

That's actually a good point. I've had my fair share of connectors that wouldn't stay connected well. I've even had a tip break off on a cheap RCA cable before. Luckily, it didn't break off in the jack.
grayskyz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monster brand cables are so overkill for this tv its not even funny. I'm going cheaper cables but not so cheap they won't fit. The video and audio quality isn't so much that you will need monster cable. I could understand if we were talking about 72 inch plasma and 9.1 surround sound. But this is an $300 tv. I have a monster cable (freebie) that I used on my 32" samsung and a cheapo on my 23" samsung. No difference. I've which them back and forth so many times I can't recall which one is on what. Monster has there place, just not in my set up (yet).

C~
.• MACBOOK PRO 2.33• AIRPORT EXTREME N STATION• MAC OCTO PRO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: