123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Starts Shipping Apple TV
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rightondamark wrote:
Walt Mossberg always seems like he is in the back pocket of Steve Jobs. It's funny how he is the first one to review the Apple TV. So I tend to take his personal views on Apple products with a grain of salt. He also doesn't seem like the smartest technical guy out there. Although, he might just be dumbing it down for his readers.
Yeah I don't disagree with you there. Though there is the requirement line on Apple's website, saying a widescreen TV is required for the Apple TV. I just always wondered if it would somewhat work on a regular old CRT TV. But if it doesn't have v-compression or something, I don't necessarily see how it would work. It looks like the menu will always be in a widescreen format. That could change, but I guess we will find out when people start getting their units.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fake Steve Jobs on the WSJ/Mossberg Apple TV story

From the blog:

"Check out his review of Apple TV in this morning's Wall Street Journal. As Walt points out, our product:

* won't work with older TVs;
* can't record cable or satellite TV;
* can't play DVDs;
* can't stream video or audio directly from the Internet;
* won't let you buy media directly from iTunes;
* won't play music in Microsoft's formats, even from a Windows PC;
* won't let you change volume using the Apple remote;
* won't let you plug in an extra hard drive for more capacity.

So, should you buy Apple TV? Absolutely, says Walt. He gives it four thumbs up, raves about its simplicity and elegance, and tells you not to worry about the features we don't have, because even though Apple won't discuss these issues, Walt is sure that many of these features will become available in the future."

LOL. I like reading Mossberg's stuff, but FSJ nails this one on the head.

Razz

Jamie
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Though there is the requirement line on Apple's website, saying a widescreen TV is required for the Apple TV. I just always wondered if it would somewhat work on a regular old CRT TV.

I'm not sure but I'm guessing the main requirement is 480p. My old 36" CRT Toshiba is 4:3 but has component inputs and can display 480p. However it doesn't have a "letterboxing" feature so I'm guessing I'll be watching a vertically stretched interface.

As soon as I get my AppleTV I'll let you guys know.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
As soon as I get my AppleTV I'll let you guys know.

My wife just signed for mine at home. It came a day earlier than I thought. FedEx tracking said the 23rd the last time I looked. Very Happy
iLife's a Bitch!
archer75

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's priced about $100 too high. And it's lack of support for more video and audio formats is what's killing it for me. I will never purchase DRM content from itunes.

Along with lacking HD DVR support. The thing is virtually useless to me.

You can get a sling box media extender for cheaper and plays all formats, streams video from the net, anything at all.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picaman wrote:
LOL. I like reading Mossberg's stuff, but FSJ nails this one on the head.

FSJ is always one of my favorite daily reads. Either he's a genius, or just has way too much free time on his hands.

My favorite quote from that post:
Steve 'I invented the friggin iPod, have you heard of it?' Jobs wrote:
But, as Walt points out, you get only a 20GB drive and the price is $399, which Walt "not a math major" Mossberg calculates to be 50% more than the $299 price for Apple TV.

RickB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone here get theirs? If so, how do you like it?
nanomano

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickB wrote:
Anyone here get theirs? If so, how do you like it?

I received mine today. I like it, but there are a few things that are scaring and annoying me. First off, the user interface is really slick. I hope this is what Front Row 2.0 looks like in Leopard. But there is one little thing that I hate in Music. When you play a song the album art swings back and fourth from the left to the right every like 30 seconds. This is obviously to prevent plasma burn in, but I find it rather annoying. I haven't found a way to turn it off yet.

I can say that my HandBrake videos and Apple trailers play really well. They look better on my 32" screen than I thought they would. I don't really have a good LCD TV either. The Apple TV feels fast too. I mean like when you're navigating around in the menus and stuff.

Here is where it gets scary though. This thing is burning hot! I can barely touch the top in different places. The back left corner is particularly hot. I don't know if this is unique to my unit, but I'm calling Apple about it tomorrow. I would imagine that this has something to do built-in power supply. Maybe it would have been better if Apple had used an external power brick or something. This has to have a negative effect on the internal components, especially the hard drive. I would also mention that transfers over ethernet are pretty slow. It took me almost an hour to transfer over my library.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nanomano wrote:
Here is where it gets scary though. This thing is burning hot! I can barely touch the top in different places. The back left corner is particularly hot. I don't know if this is unique to my unit, but I'm calling Apple about it tomorrow. I would imagine that this has something to do built-in power supply. Maybe it would have been better if Apple had used an external power brick or something. This has to have a negative effect on the internal components, especially the hard drive. I would also mention that transfers over ethernet are pretty slow. It took me almost an hour to transfer over my library.

I think we found the hidden feature of Apple TV. It can double as a coffee mug warmer! Wink

All kidding aside, mine is even running hot in standby mode. I don't think it's hot enough to be in panic mode yet, but I'll be keeping an eye on it. However, it's making me think that it might be a good idea to pick up the AppleCare plan for it..
iLife's a Bitch!
DCGuy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

f...apple care. wait for a recall
Twisted Evil
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCGuy wrote:
Twisted Evil

Please don't say that, please don't say that! Laughing
iLife's a Bitch!
DCGuy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
DCGuy wrote:
Twisted Evil

Please don't say that, please don't say that! Laughing

Laughing Laughing evil, aint I
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Received mine this morning Reply with quote

Here's the facts for those without a widescreen TV:

- for some strange reason, the Apple TV supports 480i even though it only has components and HDMI outputs
- there is no "4:3 or 16:9" setting, the box assumes your display has a 16:19 ratio
- it works on my 36" Toshiba, which is a 4:3 CRT. However all the content is vertically stretched, like anamorphic (not sure if it's the right term)
- My HandBrake rips seem to work very well so far (the two I copied/streamed), in both H.264/AAC and MPEG-4/AAC (both .mp4 files, not .avi)
- The specifications listed are for maximums, not minimums. The Apple TV plays my 352x288 MPEG-4/AAC rips just fine too. Before you ask, these are rips for my Nintendo Play-Yan micro. Cool
- 4:3 videos have black borders on the left and right, which is the proper way to display them on widescreen LCDs. Which looks odd on my TV since it ends up with a black border all around it.

If my television had a "letterboxing" feature/setting I would be ok. But it doesn't. What bugs me is that a simple software setting could fix that. Let the Apple TV render everything in widescreen but simply rescale to 4:3 before outputting. I don't want to buy another TV when a simple firmware update could do the trick.
nanomano

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
I think we found the hidden feature of Apple TV. It can double as a coffee mug warmer! Wink

All kidding aside, mine is even running hot in standby mode. I don't think it's hot enough to be in panic mode yet, but I'll be keeping an eye on it. However, it's making me think that it might be a good idea to pick up the AppleCare plan for it..

I called Apple today and the support rep said it was normal for the top and sides of the Apple TV to feel a little warmer than normal because it doubles as a heat sink. I'm not sure if completely buy that, but I guess it's possible with the internal power supply. I also found another thing about the Apple TV that I don't like. You can't stream photos! If they don't fix that in the first firmware update, I'll be disappointed. Sad
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree with Apple. If the exterior wasn't warm that would mean that the heat had remained on the items were producing the heat.

I'm not saying that the TV doesn't run too hot. I've never touched one. But I welcome you to touch a heat sync. They're hot for a reason, they are doing their job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: