123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple TV Cables
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Apple TV Cables Reply with quote

Apple TV Cables
Wednesday, March 21, 2007
Posted by: Glenn

Monster Cable has introduced a new line of high-performance cables designed specifically for the Apple TV. The new cables include: Monster iTV Component Video Cable ($39.95), Monster iTV Fiber Optic Cable ($29.95), Monster iTV HDMI Cable ($59.95) and Monster iTV Analog Audio Cable ($24.95). All of the cables feature 24k gold contacts, full-coverage shielding, and Duraflex protective jackets.

"This attractive suite of cables ensure optimal enjoyment of movies, TV programs, music, podcasts, movie trailers and more out of Apple TV," says The Head Monster, Noel Lee. "Apple TV is a 40GB device that works with both Macs and PCs, and syncs iTunes media for display on widescreen TVs. Monster's commitment to creating innovative, high-performance solutions will allow outstanding audio and video reproduction for Apple TV customers."

XtremeMac also has a line of cables for the Apple TV that were announced back in January. They offer all the cables necessary for consumers to integrate Apple TV into their HD home entertainment system, utilizing any of the connectivity options Apple TV provides. This includes HDMI to HDMI ($19.95), HDMI to DVI ($19.95), Component Video ($19.95), Toslink Optical Audio ($19.95), and RCA stereo ($14.95). XtremeMac also offers an 4-port HDMI Switcher ($99.95) in the same form-factor as the Apple TV.

The digital optical audio cables offered by Monster and XtremeMac are also compatible with the Mac mini. The same thing can be said for the XtremeMac HDMI to DVI cable.

Last edited by admin on Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
stevenz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as how all the Monster cables are just tricked-out standard cables and "any old thing" will do the job in lieu, this doesn't seem much like mac news but more like an advertisement for Monster, and with their exorbitant prices, I hardly think they need more income. (I mean really, $30 for an optical cable!?)

As cool as it is, it's not like the Apple TV is going to output anything near audiophile/videophile grade output.
RickB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I mean really, $30 for an optical cable

I paid $20 bucks for a Griffin XpressCable, so I don't think these prices are that much out of line. Most of the prices for a decent quality 3m cable were in the same range when I was looking around.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenz wrote:
Seeing as how all the Monster cables are just tricked-out standard cables and "any old thing" will do the job in lieu, this doesn't seem much like mac news but more like an advertisement for Monster, and with their exorbitant prices, I hardly think they need more income. (I mean really, $30 for an optical cable!?)

As cool as it is, it's not like the Apple TV is going to output anything near audiophile/videophile grade output.

These are pretty strong opinions for someone who likely has never seen or heard the AppleTV.

In my opinion this is Apple news. In fact I think it should be a sticky in the Home-theater section. I'm sure once people start receiving the Apple TV we will be flooded with cable questions. There are already questions in the forums about cabling and nobody has received their Apple TV yet.

Brand preference is a matter of choice. Not all cables are created equal. Monster is noted for making quality products. In some cases a smaller company may make a product of equal quality at a lower price, but you can rest assured that with Monster products you are getting a decent consumer grade product.

Last edited by Bandit Bill on Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With an optical cable, it depends on the quality of the glass in the fiber. Even still, stevenz is correct, it isn't like the Apple TV is spitting out super high quality audio or video. That being said, I don't see the point of "high-end" cables for the Apple TV. Unless you happen to have an extreme amount of interference and could use some extra shielding over the cheap $10-20 cables.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap cables can introduce interference to your other components. I don't think I've seen a monster cable over $100. Your opinions on what is considered hi end and expensive are different than mine. I have seen systems with 10's of 1000's of dollars worth of cabling. Rolling Eyes

If people want to buy lower cost cabling that's their choice. The dollar store carries RCA cables if you're interested.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
In some cases a smaller company may make a product of equal quality at a lower price, but you can rest assured that with Monster products you are getting a decent consumer grade product.
After working retail, I know the marketing of Monster cables. I know there are some instances where you should use properly shielded cables, especially over long runs. Though I know when you buy them for a store, it only costs the store $20 for a $50 cable. All the rest of it is just profit for the retailer, unless you buy direct from Monster. Even then, I'd rather buy from monoprice.com. Then again, that is just my "opinion".
Bandit Bill wrote:
I don't think I've seen a monster cable over $100. Your opinions on what is considered hi end and expensive are different than mine. I have seen systems with 10's of 1000's of dollars worth of cabling. Rolling Eyes

If people want to but lower cost cabling that's there choice. The dollar store carries RCA cables if you're interested.
I've seen a single Monster cable run into the thousands, even the local Best Buy will have a $200+ Monster cable for sale. And I'm not considering a $100 Monster cable "super high end", but it is more or less "high end" for the average consumer. You will see majority of consumers won't even know what or who Monster or their cables are. They will stick to those low end RCA cables from the dollar store or Radioshack.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Monoprice.com, I recently bought some component cables and HDMI cables from them and to be honest I wasn't quite sure what to expect because their prices were really good. When they arrived I was blown away by the quality. They have made me a customer for life...... no i don't work for them or have any kind of business relationship but just thought I would mention them for anyone in the community that was interested.
Bachiano

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I triple Monoprice.com
the5count

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: The Monster Cable Myth Reply with quote

First, I'd like to say that Monster makes good cables, but unless you want to impress people with how much money you can afford to spend on cables, there are other cable suppliers out there that make quality cables at far far cheaper prices. The electrical characteristics of cable are a very well studied phenomena, and most audio cables you buy are adequate for people's needs. I know of few people who can hear above 22k cps. Bell labs did a number of studies in this area and they should know. Of course you can get brands that fall apart after two pulls on the cable, and some cable has no, or almost non-existent shielding, and yea- there is a cable surface effect and so on. But most of the name brand cable will work just fine and you don't have to spring for $50 a foot brands.

Ethan Winer is a guy who has written thousands of articles for all the major audiophile magazines. His background in engineering is irrefutable (and he is a practicing musician to boot). Go look up some of the articles he has written on the subject and then you can have a much better understanding of why Monster has hyped everyone. Sure they can snow you with a million reasons why they are the best, but the reality is that it's mostly hype.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thepainter wrote:
and to be honest I wasn't quite sure what to expect

This was the point I was mostly trying to make.

My brand preference for value in cabling is Alberta Computer Cable. They are local to my province, they make custom cables if needed, are reasonably priced and decent quality, they give great customer service. To me they are similar to APC (American Power Conversion) in terms of quality and service.

Alberta Computer Cable is not well known like Monster cables, but I am familiar with the company. By all means shop around, find a company that works for you.

Monster is a company that you can count on making a decent product. To some people there is value in not having to shop around to save $10 or going through a series of products that did not satisfy their needs. The Monster cables also look good. To some that is very important in their home theater set-up, especially when it comes to Apple customers.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the cables! I want that HDMI switcher when I reorder my ATV. I saw it on here before, but that thing looks really nice for $100 bucks. They didn't have any pictures or details about it at the time. Hell, it even comes with a remote. Does anyone know of a better quality or nicer looking HDMI switcher in that price range? I don't.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the back-up Devo Smile

To me this is news. Apparently it is to you too.

If 123macmini makes a few bucks through a purchase via a person linking to Monster through this site all the power to them. I would purposely link through this site to support 123macmini. The mods on this site have always been great. I never have felt offended by advertising. Try macdailynews.com out if you want to see a site that's annoying and portrays news primarily to make money.
Brian
News Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
If 123macmini makes a few bucks through a purchase via a person linking to Monster through this site all the power to them. I would purposely link through this site to support 123macmini. The mods on this site have always been great. I never have felt offended by advertising. Try macdailynews.com out if you want to see a site that's annoying and portrays news primarily to make money.

I (we) appreciate that. But for the record guys, we rarely if ever post affiliate links directly in the body our news stories. This article that Glenn posted has no affiliate links in the body or sponsorship associated with it. We also stay clear contextual ads in the body of our articles. Ok, let's get back on topic. Very Happy
Scotty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: High priced stuff Reply with quote

Most of this add-on stuff is ridiculously overpriced. You can buy a KVM switch for more than a hundred bucks. Or you can get one -- not called a KVM switch -- from Fry's for about 20 bucks.

The only difference between a Cadillac and a Chevy is a little engineering, some body styling and about ten grand. I'll take the Chevy.

Scotty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: