123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Works
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philpro68

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Apple Works Reply with quote

Hi guys and gals,
I ordered my new mac mini a few days ago, and I am wondering if Apple Works comes with the Mac mini?
bsnoel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Apple Works Reply with quote

philpro68 wrote:
Hi guys and gals,
I ordered my new mac mini a few days ago, and I am wondering if Apple Works comes with the Mac mini?

Yes it should come with Apple Works. However iWork has a much better word processor in it.

Quoting to the Apple Store
"More Bundled Software
Use your Mac mini to balance your checkbook with Quicken 2005. Use AppleWorks 6 to compose a spreadsheet or write the next literary classic."
philpro68

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Apple Works Reply with quote

bsnoel wrote:
philpro68 wrote:
Hi guys and gals,

Yes it should come with Apple Works. However iWork has a much better word processor in it.

"More Bundled Software
Use your Mac mini to balance your checkbook with Quicken 2005. Use AppleWorks 6 to compose a spreadsheet or write the next literary classic."

Cool, and that was my next question. Iwork includes Keynote right? Is it worth the purchase? I know nothing about these programs but am eager to learn. Thanks
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Apple Works Reply with quote

philpro68 wrote:
bsnoel wrote:
philpro68 wrote:
Hi guys and gals,

"More Bundled Software

Cool, and that was my next question. Iwork includes Keynote right? Is it worth the purchase? I know nothing about these programs but am eager to learn. Thanks

iWork '05 does include Keynote 2.0 and Pages 1.02 I believe. Pages is a very powerful word processor/layout management tool, though I have not explored it much since I'm not taking any summer classes. You'll still want to use Appleworks for spreadsheets as iWork only includes the two programs above.

Edited: Changed Pages to proper version number
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano

Last edited by Susurrus on Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
philpro68

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Apple Works Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.
I have Adobe CS on my PC that came with our business computer, but unfortionally it won't work on macs. Neither do I have the CDs because it was preinstalled and because of a business split I don't have the CDs. Sucks for me.
Dual G5 Fireman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Keynote and Pages Reply with quote

Keynote is at version 2.0.2 Pages is at 1.0.2
k3lso

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer Appleworks given that it´s an MS Office-like application... Pages is good but if you´re used to work with Word.. it´s kind of difficult to get used to it.
14" 600Mhz G3 iBook 256Mb Ram
20 Gb iPod
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find Appleworks adequate for home use.
I won't pay for Pages when Appleworks came for free with my mini. I can save in Word format, so it works for me.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Keynote and Pages Reply with quote

Dual G5 Fireman wrote:
Keynote is at version 2.0.2 Pages is at 1.0.2

Yeah, I thought Pages was still at 1-something. My bad.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
philpro68

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Apple Works Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the responses! I am sure as soon as my Mac mini arrives, I will be pestering you guys.
Thanks! Very Happy
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not buying iWork until Apple includes a spreadsheet. I played around with the free 30-day trial of Pages you got with buying Tiger. It was sweet!
Dual G5 Fireman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: numbers Reply with quote

Actually funny that you mention that. Apple just took out a trademark on the name "Numbers". Rumor has it among the Mac community that Apple is going to include a spreadsheet program with the next version of iWork. So you won't have to wait long.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I'm waiting. Wink

Pages and Numbers are great names for a word processor and spreadsheet. I'm surprised those trademarks were available after all these years. Why hasn't anyone used them before??? Laughing
ninjamini

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: numbers Reply with quote

Dual G5 Fireman wrote:
Actually funny that you mention that. Apple just took out a trademark on the name "Numbers". Rumor has it among the Mac community that Apple is going to include a spreadsheet program with the next version of iWork. So you won't have to wait long.

Yea but when is that next version gonna happen. iWork is fairly new.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
That's why I'm waiting. Wink

Pages and Numbers are great names for a word processor and spreadsheet. I'm surprised those trademarks were available after all these years. Why hasn't anyone used them before??? Laughing

Stupid companie think features imply complexity and that their products need a complicated name that isn't too complicated to market their product. "Pages" and "Numbers" are far too simple for anyone but Apple to use. It's genius, frankly.

Think Different.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: