123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac mini Drives: Spring 2007 Price Per Gigabyte
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:

LaCie USA has a 80GB hubless LaCie mini (firewire) in the clearance corner for $50. I'd jump on that if I lived in the USA. Upgrade the drive and sell the 80GB drive.

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/clearance/products/?id=10007

For $50 bucks, that might not be such a bad idea. I think the enclosure by itself is well worth that amount of money. I guess swapping out the drives wouldn't be that hard either, although I have never had mine apart to see. I didn't want to risk voiding its warranty.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aquaman wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:

LaCie USA has a 80GB hubless LaCie mini (firewire) in the clearance corner for $50. I'd jump on that if I lived in the USA. Upgrade the drive and sell the 80GB drive.

For $50 bucks, that might not be such a bad idea. I think the enclosure by itself is well worth that amount of money. I guess swapping out the drives wouldn't be that hard either, although I have never had mine apart to see. I didn't want to risk voiding its warranty.

It is very easy to remove the drive from the LaCie mini. The 4 screws to open the case are under the rubber feet.
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very good deal. For $50, that 80GB drive is the way to go.
jalyst

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
jalyst wrote:
I'd much prefer a more functional device versus a device that simply looks better sitting on, next to, or below the MM.

No offense, but that extra functionality is unnecessary for many of us. A triple interface drive with an eSata port is useless with my Mac mini and iMac. I only have USB and firewire 400 ports. But that's not to say that you shouldn't buy one if it costs the same amount of money. You might want to have those options down the road. I can only speak for myself, but I just want something this time around that saves space and looks good with my gear. I also agree with ClunkClunk's comment about missing the point. This article was about the cost of the mini type drives. To criticize it for being nothing more, doesn't make much sense. I'm sure that many people looking around for one of these kind of drives will find it helpful. I did.

I'm more interested in overcoming restrictions of the mac mini and finding ways to get it to it's maximum potential. I think you guys often have discussions relating to this, I just picked the wrong thread!

I intend to do a non-destructive sata mod to the mac mini & route internal cabling to the eSATA port of one of those drives. "In some instances" FW400 is not enough bandwidth, so it becomes saturated. This is not an issue with the SATA interface.

For those whom are curious... Some other considerations which resulted in my "whitling down" to just those 5 ext HDDs is:

"build quality" (bit of guesswork here)
"thermal dissipation" (and here too!)
(fan isn't necessarily critical, so long as dissipation's acceptable)
"integrated ac power adapter" (no wall wart!)
"good warranty"
"can be oriented more than one way"
"bare-bones" (preferably)
But if the enclosure + "whatever the drive" equals not much more than a bare-bones + BYO drive... Then it can still be in the running

of secondary importance:
"design"
-so long as it's appearance doesn't detract from the mac mini, Im happy.
(this is subjective & different for everyone)
Laughing

Perhaps I should be starting up a thread for all ext HDD (mac mini in appearance or not) with the sort of parameters I'm looking for? Apologies everyone!
ShaneHale

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
Is the Sabrent not available anymore?

Captain... Wink

I've been digging and digging to find a Sabrent ECS-UFMC. Sabrent still lists it under the New Products but all the retailers I've spoken to don't have any in stock and are not expecting any. Even the ones that list it as 'in stock' on their sites have none available.

At $30-50 per enclosure with USB2 and FW, there were a steal. OWC has pointed to the MiniStack2 as their replacement.

- shane
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:

Nice find! I might just order one and swap out the drives.
jgf_one

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmini style esata and such, firewire 400/800

http://www.newertech.com/products/ministackv3.php
kbulava
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.0TB NewerTech miniStack v3 7200RPM 32MB Cache eSATA / FireWire 800/400 + USB2 Drive Solution with Integrated Side & Rear USB2 & FireWire Powered Hubs. Cables, Prosoft Data Backup, Intech HD Speedtools, & 2 Year Warranty included. $30 Rebate Available! (NWTMS3S7H10TB32)

A 32mb cache? Does anyone have this? I'm not interested in that much space so much, but that thing's gotta be fast! Can FW400 even keep up with that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: