123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What improvements are most important for the new mac mini?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which is most important to you?
C2D Processor
35%
 35%  [ 7 ]
7200 RPM hd
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
FW 800
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
802.11n (draft)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
more ram
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
bigger hard drive capacity
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
better graphics
60%
 60%  [ 12 ]
lower price
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
superdrive in low-end mac mini
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 20

mdgm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: What improvements are most important for the new mac mini? Reply with quote

I was just wondering what people thought are the most important things to come improved in the new mac mini (whenever it comes). I think C2D processor personally so that it works well with Leopard. What about you? The list of options are all the things that I think would make the mini a better product.
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said better graphics. If we had better graphics, Mac mini users could upgrade their computers to almost 20" iMac specs. With that being said, if you had the money, and the graphics became upgradable or "better", you could really expand the Mac mini's horizons more than they are now.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said core 2 duo. Most consumers look at processor speed when buying a new system.
robinscruffy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wanted both the C2D and the better graphics, but i think it's more important about the processing power.

Speaking of improvements, wouldn't it be interesting if Apple use NAND flash memory, that would save a lot of space and have a big in increase in performance (ie boot up time)
- iPod Touch 8GB

Visit www.thebigapples.net Very Happy Podcasts, Videos & more Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
heavy_nutz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

better graphics.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Core 2 Duo and better graphics would be at the top of my list. But if I had to choose one, it would probably be a better graphics card. The Core Duo is still adequate. That being said, I hope both are upgraded. There really isn't much of a reason to keep the Core 2 Duo out of the mini. I mean price isn't a factor anymore. A larger standard hard drive and more memory on the top-end mini would be nice too.

I hope this is what it looks like...

Top Mac mini
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo
64MB ATI video
120GB hard drive
1GB of RAM
SuperDrive
$799

Lower Mac mini
1.83GHz Core 2 Duo
64MB ATI video
80GB hard drive
512MB RAM
SuperDrive
$599

I think Apple would do really well with these specs. They could count me in! Well, I'll probably be in anyways, but don't tell them I said that. Wink Laughing
iLife's a Bitch!
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My "pulled it out of my butt" guess is going to be that we'll see a better graphics system in the Mini, but it will still be integrated, not dedicated.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:
My "pulled it out of my butt" guess is going to be that we'll see a better graphics system in the Mini, but it will still be integrated, not dedicated.

I think you may be right. I think there is a strong possibility that it might end up being the GMA X3000.
iLife's a Bitch!
robinscruffy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only way we'll see a dedicated graphics chip in the mini is by getting rid of the hard drive.

Then replace it with a NAND flash system, that way you'll get better performance and probably have enough space to see a graphics chip. Saying that, it might be possible to use the NAND flash system to support the graphics. This is still new technology but I believe that the NAND flash system could be capable of running at speeds close to the computer's processor speed.

The biggest NAND flash is a 64GB drive. Also Intel announced their NAND flash chips.
- iPod Touch 8GB

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robinscruffy wrote:
I think the only way we'll see a dedicated graphics chip in the mini is by getting rid of the hard drive.

Why? All the G4 Mac mini models have dedicated graphics chips.

Keep in mind Apple want to sell more iMacs than minis. Even the entry level iMac doesn't have a dedicated memory to graphics. Just another incentive to get you to step up to the next model or save Apple cash on manufacturing the entry level model.

The entire conversation of this thread could go both ways. What do you want in the mini and what does Apple want to put in the mini? So far with every revision people have complained that Apple should have do such and such. You can't make every happy with standard configs. You do have the option of moving up to a Mac Pro if you need customizability. Now price becomes important again Confused

Last edited by Bandit Bill on Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
robinscruffy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
robinscruffy wrote:

Keep in mind Apple want to sell more iMacs than minis. Even the entry level iMac doesn't have a dedicated memory to graphics. Just another incentive to get you to step up to the next model or save Apple cash on producing the entry level model.

Didn't the G4's have a 32MB chip, i mean everyone would like to see at least a 128MB chip. This is why the NAND flash comes into play, you don't have to have a hard drive and it could support the graphics.

We've probably all heard of the sub-notebook rumor, whats to say that Apple might do the same with the technology that would be put into this notebook?
- iPod Touch 8GB

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robinscruffy wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
robinscruffy wrote:

Keep in mind Apple want to sell more iMacs than minis. Even the entry level iMac doesn't have a dedicated memory to graphics. Just another incentive to get you to step up to the next model or save Apple cash on producing the entry level model.

Didn't the G4's have a 32MB chip, i mean everyone would like to see at least a 128MB chip. This is why the NAND flash comes into play, you don't have to have a hard drive and it could support the graphics.

Some "stealth" models had 64MB chips.

Again what "people" would like to see and what Apple is going to market are usually different. As consumers we want everything, we want it now and we want it to be affordable. Do you think these are Apples goals Smile

Apples goals are to sell as many units as possible with as much profit margin as possible per unit. There's usually a little give and take. Neither side can be totally happy.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could only have one of those improvements, it would be the C2D, but I'm taking it for granted that we'll see that in the next version. A graphics card upgrade would be great, but I'm certainly not taking that one for granted.
jordz84

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take core 2 duo over the graphics card right now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: