123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wii or PS3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which one are you going to buy?
Wii
52%
 52%  [ 31 ]
PS3
37%
 37%  [ 22 ]
Both
10%
 10%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 59

Skipernicus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:27 am    Post subject: Wii Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
Nintendo still doesn't seem like they can break out of the kiddy stereotype.

That's precisely why I think the Wii will dominate the market. A lot of us, older users are having kids now. I find that on my PS2, there is very little I want my young kids to play. And then there is the price point - I can almost get three Wii's for the price of 1 PS3. So as far as the kids are concerned - tehy either get a PS3 and NO games, or a Wii and 6 games (or more).
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only problem with the Wii is that the games have hit a drought. How many games have been released since launch? Ok, how many good games have been released since then? It is starting to look like the GameCube. If you look at future games for this year, the list is short compared to other consoles. Yes there is Mario and maybe Metroid (might come out in 08 ). But there isn't a long list of third party games that just make you want a console. Sure Mario and other Nintendo greats will help. But would you honestly want to live from game to game on a quarterly basis?

I'm glad they are finally starting to form some sort of online service. I just wish they would take more steps to get more games on the system. I haven't even really touched my Wii since Zelda and Rayman Ravin Rabbids. It has basically sat there, except for a couple of downloaded games. It just feels exactly like it did when I got the GameCube. It is real exciting to have a new console, but what else is there to play? Avatar, Dragonball Z, Ice Age, etc?
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By summer, i'll probably invest and save up for a PS3. Though, Tiger Woods 07' does look super sweet for the Nintendo Wii.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyPod wrote:
Though, Tiger Woods 07' does look super sweet for the Nintendo Wii.
It depends on how well they implement the swinging. On Wii Sports, golf is hard to get the power of the swing right. It makes the game hard and not as fun as the other sports. Hopefully EA has got the accelerometer fields right. Otherwise if it is as touchy and has such a small tolerance for the swing, I'll pass.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
It depends on how well they implement the swinging. On Wii Sports, golf is hard to get the power of the swing right. It makes the game hard and not as fun as the other sports. Hopefully EA has got the accelerometer fields right. Otherwise if it is as touchy and has such a small tolerance for the swing, I'll pass.

I golf alot, so I hope it's realistic. If not, I wouldn't want anything to screw up my swing.
ranger1021

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I had said at the beginning of the thread that I was most likely to get both, but ended up getting only the PS3 as a friend and my brother got a Wii. I did get my own copy of Zelda for the Wii, though.
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ranger1021 wrote:
So I had said at the beginning of the thread that I was most likely to get both, but ended up getting only the PS3 as a friend and my brother got a Wii. I did get my own copy of Zelda for the Wii, though.

How do you like the PS3, and what model did you get?

Last edited by TyPod on Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
ranger1021

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyPod wrote:
ranger1021 wrote:

How do you like the PS3, and model did you get?

I got the 60GB version, mainly for the wireless internet (PS3 is on other side of house from modem), but the larger hard drive and card slots are nice. Got Resistance: Fall of Man, and would have to say that it rocks. I just beat the single player story. I also downloaded the MoterStorm demo, and think that it looks nice enough to just go out and get the full version.

I have noticed that the wireless card is sort of underpowered, and gets worse reception that my Mini that is about as far from the router as the PS3 is, but is powerful enough that I haven't noticed any slow downs online in Resistance. Also, I wanted to get it in HD on my TV without waiting for an HDMI cable to be shipped, so I bought a component cable, but have found that it doesn't support 1080P, it only goes to I.

All togeather, if you don't have an HD TV, and aren't going to upgrade for a while, I would just pass it up and get a Wii Laughing , but if you want good HD gaming and want a cheap Blu-Ray player, it is a definite buy.
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ranger1021 wrote:
I got the 60GB version, mainly for the wireless internet (PS3 is on other side of house from modem), but the larger hard drive and card slots are nice. Got Resistance: Fall of Man, and would have to say that it rocks. I just beat the single player story. I also downloaded the MoterStorm demo, and think that it looks nice enough to just go out and get the full version.

I have noticed that the wireless card is sort of underpowered, and gets worse reception that my Mini that is about as far from the router as the PS3 is, but is powerful enough that I haven't noticed any slow downs online in Resistance. Also, I wanted to get it in HD on my TV without waiting for an HDMI cable to be shipped, so I bought a component cable, but have found that it doesn't support 1080P, it only goes to I.

All togeather, if you don't have an HD TV, and aren't going to upgrade for a while, I would just pass it up and get a Wii Laughing , but if you want good HD gaming and want a cheap Blu-Ray player, it is a definite buy.

I'll probably end up getting the 60GB version of the PS3 also. Since my modem is in the basement, and my room is all the way upstairs, it would work out great for me to have wireless. But, the thing is, I have no TV to play the PS3 on. All my TVs are CRT's, and I want to get a good LCD to play the PS3 on. I was thinking about saving up and getting a display so I could plug both my mini and PS3 into it, but I just got the display i'm using right now for Christmas. I guess i'm going to have to suffer with a CRT screen until my parents invest in a better living room or basement TV.
elviswjr

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a Nintendo fan (look for elviswjr on NSider forums) but I voted PS3 because I already have a Wii and I want to get a PS3. I like the Wii better though.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been renting Blu-Ray movies like mad. I'm not a game player, but I'm certainly getting good use out of the PS3 for 1080P movies. I would get no use out of a Wii.

The whole 1080P thing is still in the birth stages but it's building steam quickly on the movie side. The PS3 games are still all 720P (as far as I know).
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I've been renting Blu-Ray movies like mad. I'm not a game player, but I'm certainly getting good use out of the PS3 for 1080P movies. I would get no use out of a Wii.

Cool man! I didn't know you had one Bandit. I mostly use mine for movies too. MotorStorm and Virtua Tennis are keeping me busy as well.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:

Cool man! I didn't know you had one Bandit. I mostly use mine for movies too. MotorStorm and Virtua Tennis are keeping me busy as well.

I just bought the PS3 and a Sharp LC4682U (46") LCD a month ago. I know you are super happy with your Plasma but I really wanted 1080P and 1080P Plasmas are just too much $. I'm very happy with it. About the only thing I don't like is the small amount of back lighting that you can see on the top and bottom band of a 2:4/1 movie when viewing video in a totally dark room.

From the latest PS3 firmware update and some posts on this forum it looks like the PS3 will have interesting potential down the road. This is great as I mentioned earlier I'm not big on games. I hadn't realized that the PS3 is also a SACD player. Maybe I'll pick up a SACD some day for some impressive audio.

The PS3 fan can get fairly loud, but given that I normally have the surround sound playing loud, I can live with it.

I bought Oblivion, but I only played it for about 1/2hr and I'm still in the underground tunnels. I read a review on that game saying it gets good once your out of the tunnel system. I'll have to give it some more time some day. I'll probably buy GTA4 when it is released but, I'll likely only rent games from now on.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I just bought the PS3 and a Sharp LC4682U (46") LCD a month ago. I know you are super happy with your Plasma but I really wanted 1080P and 1080P Plasmas are just too much $. I'm very happy with it. About the only thing I don't like is the small amount of back lighting that you can see on the top and bottom band of a 2:4/1 movie when viewing video in a totally dark room..

Oh, and an Aquos too. Cool

They are really nice LCDs. Did you get a big bonus or something? Laughing

I'm sorry to hear about the uneven backlighting. I guess you are seeing this on the black. I'm still happy with my Hitachi plasma. I should've waited a while to buy it though. The prices of LCDs and plasmas are falling like crazy.

Quote:
The PS3 fan can get fairly loud, but given that I normally have the surround sound playing loud, I can live with it.

Mine doesn't get that loud. Do you have it out in the open or contained in a TV stand/cabinet?

Quote:
I'll probably buy GTA4 when it is released but, I'll likely only rent games from now on.

I only have like 5 games. I rent everything else with my Blockbuster coupons.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Did you get a big bonus or something? Laughing

I'm sorry to hear about the uneven backlighting.

Mine doesn't get that loud. Do you have it out in the open or contained in a TV stand/cabinet?

No bonus, I've just been put in the field days. I've been home 19 out of the past 60 days.

It's not uneven back lighting that I'm experiencing. What I'm referring to is the nature of current LCD technology. The light which illuminates the image tends to bleed into the black bands at the top and bottom of the screen. The bands illuminate slightly. It would be nice if the screen remained as black as it is when the TV is off. I notice the same thing on my 20" ACD when watching a movie in the dark. Maybe this will disappear with LED back lighting.

The Sony is fairly open. This is something that I made sure of. I also have it standing upright so the hot air can rise and escape easily. It's possible that mine is louder than average. I have nothing to compare it to.

As far as waiting to buy TV's you know as well as anyone that the prices are going to continually drop and the technology will continually improve. I felt it was time to make the move, because I am finally satisfied with the technology. Previous LCD TV's drove me nuts to look at. At 4ms and 120Hz I have noticed very little choppiness. About the only time I do notice anything is in standard definition content. I'm still hooked up through analog cable (which is surprisingly good). I plan on getting a HD DVR through my cable company soon.

I've spent a small fortune these past couple months. I was really planning on buy Apple products, but Apple isn't delivering. I'm holding of until Leopard in any case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: