123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

anyone have an 8x Pioneer Superdrive?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheModWiki.org wrote:
Pioneer Drive Installed!

It's an 8X DVD+/-RW with DL capability, and seems much peppier than the standard Apple solution, a Matsuisha brand I believe. The Pioneer is substantially lighter than the standard drive too. It seeks and reads discs faster as well. Overall this was a great upgrade, and I think other mini owners would agree. There is one thing to note though... The drive ships with a plastic front plate, as if the drive were to be used in a laptop. For the drive to fit in the mini, you must remove this plate, but it is easy to take it off.

Dang, you are a Mac mini upgrading machine! Very Happy What's next? Have you been running before and after benchmarks?
droconn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

serpent wrote:
@Susurrus
well maybe you should keep your pet in your pocket then! 'cause where I come from, CPE in front of a name or position means they're a " Candidate for Penile Enlargement"! wahaha
and NO I don't believe you are sorry. Here's a little something my grandfather taught me when I was a little kid. "Just always remember that no one will ever know how stupid you are until you open your mouth." Try it, if it doesn't work for saving face it might just save ya a few teeth.

Anyway as far as my upgrades & mini:

mini bought as an open box 400$
100 gig hard drive Seagate 167$
1 gig ram 99$ pc 2700, 3200 just a waste of $ noperformance difference
8x dual layer dvd Pioneer 149$ later found place for 99$
bt/wifi 89$ apple store w/ student disc-eventhough i'm not student.
total with tax & freight 825$ sold old parts for 100$
upped proccessor speed from 1.25ghz to 1.5ghz was a freebee. closest possible configuration from Apple to my mini would have cost 1105$

Serpent

Keep us posted as to heat issues, etc. Things that may not be detectable at first but mayb effect your Mini in the long run and threaten its longevity.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I had the nerve to overclock mine! Those jumpers are tiny.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

serpent wrote:
@Susurrus
well maybe you should keep your pet in your pocket then! 'cause where I come from, CPE in front of a name or position means they're a " Candidate for Penile Enlargement"! wahaha
and NO I don't believe you are sorry. Here's a little something my grandfather taught me when I was a little kid. "Just always remember that no one will ever know how stupid you are until you open your mouth." Try it, if it doesn't work for saving face it might just save ya a few teeth.

Serpent

Okay. I feel I should address this. First off, I was pretty much just joking about your grammar and so on. And second, CPE means computer engineer. Third, I'm not the one who brought male genitalia into this thread.

But do keep us apprised of any heat related issues you may experience. Is your fan on all of the time now?

devo wrote:

I've read that you can just use a toothpick and pry them off using it. People didn't really recommend it just because it might damage the solder points so soldering the jumpers back on might be impossible afterwards. That wouldn't be too difficult to do, though finding the jumpers afterwards would, Laughing.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano

Last edited by Susurrus on Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
chillywilly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modwiki...

Thanks for the details on your upgrades, esp. the new Pinoeer superdrive. Before I came to this forum, I was thinking the best option would be to add an external 16x drive. But since reading your experience, it sounds like that's an option I wouldn't mind doing.

I've had my mini open once to upgrade the RAM to 512Mb. Would love a DVD burner to start offloading a lot of stuff I've downloaded to removeable media. That is, until I can find a 120gb 7200 2.5" drive. Seagate has one that's 4200rpm, but I'd rather go all the way with the max storage and speed I can get.
serpent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
]Okay. I feel I should address this. First off, I was pretty much just joking about your grammar and so on. And second, CPE means computer engineer. Third, I'm not the one who brought male genitalia into this thread.

Even tho I don't want to turn an educational post into a flaming war I still dont see the relevence of my poor grammer to kapton tape or upgrading your mini? So you recieved my rebuttal conotating your title and I might add your avatar to having a small "member". As far as your appology, I do not truely believe it is sincere since your ending line states that it is a "peeve of yours" and your later post confirming "pretty much". Maybe you should have spent the time researching the benifits of using kapton tape over scotch or electrical tape in the field of computer engineering and its applied usage in building mac minis', putting your degree to good use.

so maybe we should all put a disclaimer at the ends of our posts like, Stupidity is a pet peeve of mine! and then call everyone an idiot when they ask a simple question or something that might of already been addressed in an early post.

to all those reading this thread it is my "belief" and is not based on any facts, it don't make a bit of differece what kind of tape you use to re-secure your wiring in fact the only wire i taped was the antenae wire where it runs along the dvd and ram.

Quote:
But do keep us apprised of any heat related issues you may experience. Is your fan on all of the time now?

I have no problems with heat in fact the fan comes on less now then it did as a 1.25. Come to think of it I can't remember hearing the fan come on at all since i overclocked 2 months ago.

devo wrote:

devo it doesn't take nerve to OC your mini, all it takes is a magnifier, an exacto knife, soldering gun and a red plastic flower pot. 1st put the pot on your head and say out load "now whip it into shape shape it up get straight go forward move ahead try to detect it it's not too late to whip it into shape shape it up get straight go forward move ahead try to detect it it's not too late to whip it whip it go" yo should have all the confidence you need now to either heat up the resisters and remove with exacto knife or just cut them off with knife just apply a little downward pressure on the rh an lh side of the resister between the resistor and the pad its soldered to and lift it off the board by sliding the knife under it and it should come right off. now depending on which speed you want you might have to solder new jumpers or remove the resister from underneath the processor heat sink.
you'll be real happy when you look in system profiler and it says something like this:
Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: Mac mini
Machine Model: PowerMac10,1
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.2)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.5 GHz

enjoy

Serpent
TheModWiki.org

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chillywilly wrote:
modwiki...

Thanks for the details on your upgrades, esp. the new Pinoeer superdrive. Before I came to this forum, I was thinking the best option would be to add an external 16x drive. But since reading your experience, it sounds like that's an option I wouldn't mind doing.

I've had my mini open once to upgrade the RAM to 512Mb. Would love a DVD burner to start offloading a lot of stuff I've downloaded to removeable media. That is, until I can find a 120gb 7200 2.5" drive. Seagate has one that's 4200rpm, but I'd rather go all the way with the max storage and speed I can get.

No problem... I had my eye on that drive from the beginning so I got the Combo drive from Apple to upgrade later. With the mini being so quiet I keep it on 24/7 to fold or download (legally) and I need to burn my downloads everyonce in a while. Plus, you CAN'T beat the coolness factor of a slot-load drive.
Maxtor 300GB Ext. FW
Pioneer DVR-K05 SD

www.PaulStamatiou.com , 9rules Network
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo it doesn't take nerve to OC your mini, all it takes is a magnifier, an exacto knife, soldering gun and a red plastic flower pot. 1st put the pot on your head and say out load "now whip it into shape shape it up get straight go forward move ahead try to detect it it's not too late to whip it into shape shape it up get straight go forward move ahead try to detect it it's not too late to whip it whip it go" yo should have all the confidence you need now to either heat up the resisters and remove with exacto knife or just cut them off with knife just apply a little downward pressure on the rh an lh side of the resister between the resistor and the pad its soldered to and lift it off the board by sliding the knife under it and it should come right off. now depending on which speed you want you might have to solder new jumpers or remove the resister from underneath the processor heat sink.
you'll be real happy when you look in system profiler and it says something like this:
Hardware Overview:

I'm also afraid my Mac mini's G4 will be "Through Being (staying) Cool" Devo fans will get that! Laughing
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Hardware Overview:

I'm also afraid my Mac mini's G4 will be "Through Being (staying) Cool" Devo fans will get that! Laughing

If you use an exacto knife to cut them off, be careful that you don't damage the solder pads or the resistor as you may need/want to change the clock speed of your Mini again. Of course, you can always use flux to fill in where the resister was, but damaged solder pads will ruin even those attempts.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
Of course, you can always use flux to fill in where the resister was, but damaged solder pads will ruin even those attempts.

Actually, flux is just used to help the solder flow properly (and lowers the solder's melting point) . It would be the solder itself that would "fill in" where the resister was...not the flux. Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
Susurrus wrote:
Of course, you can always use flux to fill in where the resister was, but damaged solder pads will ruin even those attempts.

Actually, flux is just used to help the solder flow properly (and lowers the solder's melting point) . It would be the solder itself that would "fill in" where the resister was...not the flux. Smile

My bad. The liquid solder stuff is what I was talking about. There are quick solder products or something like that that just contain basically liquid solder. You can use this to easily join the two contact points.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
chillywilly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheModWiki.org wrote:
No problem... I had my eye on that drive from the beginning so I got the Combo drive from Apple to upgrade later. With the mini being so quiet I keep it on 24/7 to fold or download (legally) and I need to burn my downloads everyonce in a while. Plus, you CAN'T beat the coolness factor of a slot-load drive.

I keep mine on a lot and it actually would be nice to get a quieter slot loading drive - besides the coolness factor, it would make the mini that much more quiet.

Is this new Pioneer drive quieter than the stock combo drive?
chillywilly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, as a note, if anyone is looking at upgrading the drive, make note that the DVR-K05 is the drive to get. DO NOT GET THE DVR-K15. It's a drawer-loading slim drive instead of slot loading.

New Egg only sells the DVR-K15.
idave

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who has the lowest price for the DVRK05? $119 is the best I can find.
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
rollfaster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one for $99 from mwave.com:

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=AA35521

I'm thinking of getting one after my next paycheck... Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: