123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac mini Arcade Game Machine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Mac mini Arcade Game Machine Reply with quote

Mac mini Arcade Game Machine
Monday, March 12, 2007
Posted by: Charles

Michael S. writes in to tell us about his Mac mini-based "Vectornomicon" arcade game machine. "Vectornomicon is an all purpose media center; it functions as an arcade game, a jukebox, internet kiosk and a media center. The case is homemade, on lockable rollers, and uses an arcade monitor (which makes DVDs look great). Hidden in the case is an s-video adapter, a split audio out and 20' of cord for attaching to big screens and projectors. Oh, you can also rest a drink on it, which was the main reason for making it," writes Michael. The Vectornomicon is powered by a G4 Mac mini and uses a 250GB NewerTech miniStack for extra storage. It also features a Wells Gardner arcade monitor, custom built controls, working coin box and a USB hub for extra input devices. Michael is using MAME and a wide variety of emulators for the games. All in all, it sounds like a lot of fun. Well done!

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/614.html

Last edited by admin on Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please tell me it runs Pacman (see avatar)! Very Happy

I wonder how the controls are configured in OS X?
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice, but I prefer the classic vertical cabinet models. In fact I've never even seen a cocktail table model in person. Surprised

It would be nice to see pictures of the internal components, etc.

Last edited by Yvan256 on Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always liked the Pac Man cocktail tables. Great for sticking a slice of pizza and a beer on while you're chasing ghosts.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an arcade cocktail table at our local pizza joint that we frequented back in the day. I just can't remember what game was on it. I think it might have been Frogger, Galaxian or Joust. Confused
iLife's a Bitch!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cocktail tables are my preference. You get to park your butt, relax and place whatever you want on top. They are also great for playing doubles. Neither has to move and both get to watch the game in full view (except upside down Smile for the one not playing). Another thing nice about them is you don't feel boxed in like the cabinet models. They also take up much less space. The downside being ambient light can hit the screen from any angle.
Skipernicus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
Really nice, but I prefer the classic vertical cabinet models.

Yeah, they are cool - but the table ones are easier to get into your house if you are married. A tablecloth, a potted plant, and hey hey!

Okay, really, I went for the easiest build first. I'm working on an upright too, but man, the big cabinets get really heavy - the table is fairly heavy, the urprights have about twice the wood!
Skipernicus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: It runs pacman Reply with quote

Ben_tex wrote:
Please tell me it runs Pacman (see avatar)! Very Happy

I wonder how the controls are configured in OS X?

It does, and all the variants.

The controls are pretty easy to configure, actually - all that stuff is built right into MAME. The interface is a little encoder board I got from Ultimarc.com - basically, it's a keyboard encoder, but it allows you to press a bunch of buttons at once. Way easier to put together than you'd think.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skipernicus wrote:
Okay, really, I went for the easiest build first. I'm working on an upright too, but man, the big cabinets get really heavy - the table is fairly heavy, the urprights have about twice the wood!

It doesn't have to be a full-size upright, however. Take a look at mine:
http://www.yvan256.net/projects/mamecade/
Skipernicus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Yvan256"]
Skipernicus wrote:
Take a look at mine:
http://www.yvan256.net/projects/mamecade/

We have the same sickness. Your cabinets are wicked cool! I've started a tabletop upright, the side are cut, but I've got a ways to go yet...
imfullofit

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always loved the classic arcade games and dream of building one of these. The idea of using a mini over a pee-cee is interesting because this seems like a great place to put some extra speakers and a hard drive and have a great Itunes server and lots of extra storage on your network. I also like the fact that the PPC minis only use around 30 watts of power when they are in standby and around 55 watts in full use. In my mind I want an old 23 inch apple cinema display and a sexy piece of aluminum furniture that shows off all the hardware.

www.julianvandercook.com
Skipernicus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: PC or mini Reply with quote

imfullofit wrote:
The idea of using a mini over a pee-cee is interesting because this seems like a great place to put some extra speakers and a hard drive and have a great Itunes server and lots of extra storage on your network.

To tell the truth, I used the mini because it worked. No fiddling with this and that, trying to get graphics cards to work properly, or getting it on my wireless network. I just put the thing in, and off we go!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: