123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Mac User- Mac Mini Help me Decide- PC User for 7 Years!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacGuy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: New Mac User- Mac Mini Help me Decide- PC User for 7 Years! Reply with quote

Hey,

I'm a PC XP user and wanna make the switch to Mac. I really like the Mac Mini to start off with.

I use Photoshop alot, nothing big just for graphic design. Wink

Interested in the Mac Mini 1.42GHz 80GB, with 1GB of memory & SuperDrive.

I use Yahoo Messenger and MSN Messenger on my PC, how do you Voice Chat with the Mini Mac??

Where do you PLUG THE MIC IN?? Rolling Eyes

Is Mac Mini more stable than PC XP. XP always locks up and freezes. Crying or Very sad

Does Mac Freeze alot?

Let me start off with these questions and I'll ask more as they come to mind.

Thanks!
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New Mac User- Mac Mini Help me Decide- PC User for 7 Yea Reply with quote

"I use Photoshop alot, nothing big just for graphic design. Wink "
Photoshop runs fine on the Mac mini. You may want to check out Photoshop Elements 3.0. I do design for a living.

"I use Yahoo Messenger and MSN Messenger on my PC, how do you Voice Chat with the Mini Mac?? "
iChat

"Where do you PLUG THE MIC IN??"
You'll need to buy a Giffin iMic or use a USB mic.

"Is Mac Mini more stable than PC XP. XP always locks up and freezes. Crying or Very sad"
God yes. No blue screens of death here. I haven't had one crash on my Mac mini yet.

"Does Mac Freeze alot?"
No. Up the memory to the 1GB max to avoid the beachballs! Wink
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New Mac User- Mac Mini Help me Decide- PC User for 7 Yea Reply with quote

curt wrote:

"I use Yahoo Messenger and MSN Messenger on my PC, how do you Voice Chat with the Mini Mac?? "
iChat

There is also Skype for Mac/PC/Linux as well as Yahoo! IM I believe, as well.

curt wrote:
"Where do you PLUG THE MIC IN??"
You'll need to buy a Giffin iMic or use a USB mic.

You can also get the M-Audio Transit. It has some issues on Tiger, but it's a full external soundcard with digital out/in and analog out/in.

Otherwise, Curt's got you covered.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played around with Photoshop Elements (maybe 10 minutes) and all the review I had read seem positive.

However, I would consider purchasing Photoshop CS at a bargain now that CS2 is out.
MacGuy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guy's think I'll get used to Mac easy? Rolling Eyes

I'm a Full Time, Day and Night PC user.

But really want to make a change to Mac.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I use Photoshop alot, nothing big just for graphic design"

I suggested Elements 3.0 because of his needs. CS2 is what use at work and home. Element 3.0 is an affordable way for switchers to get their feet wet with Photoshop. CS2 costs $550 for the full version. You can upgrade for $140 from a previous version. Elements 3.0 can be had for under $60 with rebate. I was thinking more about new users.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
"I use Photoshop alot, nothing big just for graphic design"

I suggested Elements 3.0 because of his needs. CS2 is what use at work and home. Element 3.0 is an affordable way for switchers to get their feet wet with Photoshop. CS2 costs $550 for the full version. You can upgrade for $140 from a previous version. Elements 3.0 can be had for under $60 with rebate. I was thinking more about new users.

I understand. But don't most people purchase Elements because of the price? Or is it easier to use etc. ?

I was thinking if Curt already uses Photoshop. He's probably using CS not CS2 and I've seen PC versions of CS going for $99. Maybe he could pick up a Mac version for $99. He could probably pick-up some manuals out of the bargain bins. Plus, there as so many magazines, courses etc. for Photoshop, not so many for elements.

Now if we were talking CS2 vs. elements, I wouldn't even consider CS2. Unless I was going to be making money with it. I'd still probaly buy the older version and CS for $99.
MacGuy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm I'm lost, who needs to get their feet wet in Photoshop? I been a Photoshop user for more than five years.

My main concern is the Mac Mini and the ability to run Photoshop and other programs like DreamweaverMX at the same time on the Mac Mini without system slow downs or crashes.

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. Sad

I'm a FULL Version Photoshop User on XP. Rolling Eyes

But I do have years of Photoshop Experience.

Thanks in advance everyone! Embarassed
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have read your post wrong. I was suggesting Elements 3.0 for new Photoshop users on the Mac. I didn't do a very good job of explaining myself. Had a very long day! I was worried about new users buying a Mac mini and spending a lot of money on Photoshop only to find OS X doesn't meet their needs. Elements 3.0 is a solid program for them.

I can't comment on how Photoshop and Dreamweaver run at the same time on the Mac mini. Don't use Dreamweaver. I can't see why there would be trouble since you are getting 1GB of memory. That would've been my only concern. I've read that some people are hoping for tighter integration between Photoshop and Dreamweaver now that Adobe has merged with Macromedia.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacGuy,

I'm not too sure what to say. I've been using/selling/breathing/fixing PC's since before Windows 3.1. I like the mini. I'm content with 256MB of RAM, but I will be upgrading to 1GB soon.

I found the Mac pretty easy/stable/fun etc. from day 1. I never use my XP system any longer.

The most difficult thing I find about OSX is believing how easy it is. I still find myself thinking. "Is that all I have to do? That just seems too easy."

Everyones has a different opinion on what's fast. I recommend you visit an Apple dealer and demo a few different machines.
MacGuy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
MacGuy,

I'm not too sure what to say. I've been using/selling/breathing/fixing PC's since before Windows 3.1. I like the mini. I'm content with 256MB of RAM, but I will be upgrading to 1GB soon.

I found the Mac pretty easy/stable/fun etc. from day 1. I never use my XP system any longer.

The most difficult thing I find about OSX is believing how easy it is. I still find myself thinking. "Is that all I have to do? That just seems too easy."

Everyones has a different opinion on what's fast. I recommend you visit an Apple dealer and demo a few different machines.

Sounds Good......
blackjaw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just switched over last saturday after being a PC user for probably 16-17 years and i have to say i love my mac

i use photoshop cs2 without a hitch (getting a new wacom tablet sometime soon) and i love the fact that my mac mini came with OSX and other tools like ilife (itunes and iphoto are nice), works (who can live without word processing or excel) and quicken 2005 (keep my finances in order)...also widgets are pretty rad....plus i must say that ichat is probably my favorite IM program ive used over the past few years

all in all, i lvoe my 1.42 w/ 1gig memory, it runs everything perfectly and i havent had a problem yet

edit- if my old 1.2 ghz pentium with 256mb ram could run photoshop, dreamweaver, quensential music player, AIM, and all my firewall/virus/spyware shiz at the same time without crashing, i think my mac mini can as well....i just dont have dreamweaver on here right now to test it, but i seriously doubt it would have a problem
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1.42 mini with 1GB RAM and I run Photoshop CS2, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, and Firefox at the same time without a problem.

If you are just creating web graphics it shouldn't be any problem, if you are doing any high end graphics for print I don't know how well it would perform but I can check when I get home
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dual G5 Fireman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: iChat Reply with quote

Nobody mentioned the iSight. Great camera, has a mic built in, so it enables you to do video or audio only chatting, plus control your computer if you set it as the input source. I love what someone here mentioned - "it seemed too easy". I remember that feeling. On average, what takes 4 -5 clicks to fix in Winblows takes 1 -2 clicks to deal with on the Mac.
Welcome to Macintosh, Mac Guy.
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New Mac User- Mac Mini Help me Decide- PC User for 7 Yea Reply with quote

MacGuy wrote:
Is Mac Mini more stable than PC XP. XP always locks up and freezes.

PC lock ups happen due to poorly coded programs (read spyware/adware) and cheap parts (power supplies being the main culprit).

With a Mac there currently is little to no problems with spyware/adware and the quality of the parts used is controled better. XP on a well built and protected machine will run stable. So yes, if you want to just turn on a computer and run you are better off with a Mac.

This is why I hope that the Intel version of OS X will never run on a "beige box" PC's, the main hardware needs to be controlled so it doesn't get the stigma Windows has.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: