123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases Airport Extreme Update 2007-002
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Apple Releases Airport Extreme Update 2007-002 Reply with quote

Apple Releases Airport Extreme Update 2007-002
Thursday, March 8, 2007
Posted by: Brian

Apple has released Airport Extreme Update 2007-002 via Mac OS X's Software Update utility and on the Web. According to the company, this update is recommended for all Intel-based Macs and improves compatibility with AirPort Extreme base stations and networks. It also includes the content from the AirPort Extreme Update 2007-001, and addresses a security issue as described here. In addition, Apple says Airport Extreme Update 2007-002 improves compatibility for the MacBook Core 2 Duo and the MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo when using certain third-party access points configured to use WEP Open System security.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/315.html

Last edited by admin on Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Zalez

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little off topic, but my Software Update keeps missing updates. I have it set to look for new updates daily. Does it go out and look at special time or something? Confused
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This update has royally screwed up my Airport. I cannot connect to my network or any other. I cannot even start a new one. I am going to see what I can do and will post results. Be VERY wary of this one! Update 03/09/07~ My Airport set-up is shot. It will connect for about 10 seconds and then it starts flickering and then shuts off. When I try to re-join it says there was an error in joining (name) would you like to try again. I have re-set the router, made a new network, went back to the old one, used airport admin, used set-up assistant, and nothing. This one is really a crock!
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems here. I'm still able to connect to my Linksys router without any trouble. I have read that some people are having trouble with their MacBooks though.
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update 03/09/07AM: Finally got a partial handle on it. It is an encryption problem. No matter what I do I can not get it to work using WPA. I stepped back and used WEP(basic) and the network went back to working. I guess that will have to suffice for now.
BigLee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to sound rude or anything but you were using the right WPA PSK? Sorry if it sounds stupidly simple but i have fixed i don't know how many Wifi problems by having the correct password. Very Happy
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same one I've always used.
Sparkstack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuentecigar wrote:
This update has royally screwed up my Airport. I cannot connect to my network or any other. This one is really a crock!

I'm sorry, but I'm calling BS.

Either you have an inability to correctly follow instructions; and/or an incorrectly designed wireless network which fails to follow basic rules. Neither of which are the responsibility of Apple.

I just applied this update to 2 Intel Mac Minis, (one of which is oh, about 3,900 miles away and connected to a non Apple wireless router) and 1 MacBookPro that I bought a month ago. NONE of these machines has had any issues at all connecting to my WPA2 TKIP wireless connection here, or in the case of the UK machine, WPA PSK. Infact I would go as far to say that the connection in England is better than it was before the update. I've got full signal strength now, prior to the update i was hovering between 2 and 3 bars...
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you know what I have,son.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have any trouble with the update either. I'm using 128bit WEP with my router. My speeds and signal strength are the same too.

Have you been able to fix this fuentecigar?
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a manner of speaking. I had to change to WEP(basic) encryption rather than WPA(personal). WPA works for 10 to 15 seconds and then disconnects. WEP stays on in the manner it should.
Sparkstack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First. I'm not your son.

Second. I don't know what you have, neither does anyone else. Mainly because while you was quick to bitch about how much this update supposedly sucks, your subsequent replys to questions are just one liners.

Third. You have an encryption problem.

Fourth. Nobody else who reads this forum (and there are quite a few) has come on to this topic with "OMG my airport isn't working".
So, all the problems you claim to have point to something in your network that is configured incorrectly, and not the Airport Update.
JamesE

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no problems with this update and im using WPA PSK2, However I did have a corrupt login screen after the reboot although that never led to any issue.
nanomano

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a strange little issue come up after applying the update. My Macintosh HD was labeled +--+--++ -+ on the desktop. I never really had this happened before, but I assumed it was a permission problem. I repaired the permissions and it went back to reading Macintosh HD. No harm, no foul.
imfullofit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this update on my macbook with no issues. I am using WPA2 personal.

I waited a while because of fuentecigar's problems. In his defense I have seen many on forums blame real hardware and software problems on user error. Apple is much more consistent with the hardware it uses but there are multiple revisions and some changes are made. We are also all using different software that uses our system and hardware in different ways. Most are not using apple routers so there may be issues with compatibility. Hardware manufacturers often will do firmware updates that make their equipment work better but also cause problems with other manufactures equipment.

I agree with sparkstack as well. It is really helpful to post as much information as possible about your setup. When I am having problems I will put very specific things into google like model numbers. I usually end up in a forum somewhere and a lot of the time the person hasn't posted enough information or finds a solution somewhere else and never posts back. Talk about frustrating. Evil or Very Mad

www.julianvandercook.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: