123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fujitsu Intros New Series of 7200 RPM 2.5" Hard Drives
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Fujitsu Intros New Series of 7200 RPM 2.5" Hard Drives Reply with quote

Fujitsu Intros New Series of 7200 RPM 2.5" Hard Drives
Tuesday, March 6, 2007
Posted by: Glenn

Fujitsu today introduced the new MHW2 BJ series of 7,200 RPM 2.5" hard disk drives with a serial ATA 3.0 Gb/s interface. Available in 80GB, 120GB and 160GB capacities, the new series is targeted primarily at high-performance notebooks and small form-factor desktop computers. The 160GB model is capable of data transmission speeds at up to 300 MB/s, the fastest rate in the industry. The series also features best-in-class acoustic noise level of 2.5 bels at idle, and low-power consumption, operating at 2.3 watts or less when reading or writing data. The MHW2 BJ series of hard drives will be available on global basis at the end of May, 2007.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/612.html

Last edited by admin on Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful drives. I wish I had a new Mac Mini to put it in.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure sounds promising, but I take any promotional literature with a grain of salt until there are independent test results to confirm performance and/or noise claims.
ccfoo242

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that faster SATA interface will work with the mini?
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccfoo242 wrote:
So that faster SATA interface will work with the mini?

It should be backwards compatible with the 1.5Gb/sec interface. I don't see that being an issue.

Man, I just bought a 160GB 5400-RPM WD. No complaints, but I had a feeling the 160GB 7200-RPM drives were going to start coming out soon. I bet they'll cost a pretty penny when they first come out though.
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how loud this drive is compared to the Seagate and other competitors.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyPod wrote:
I wonder how loud this drive is compared to the Seagate and other competitors.

The 7200.1 Seagate drives are rated at 2.5 bels at idle and 2.9 bels at seek. Most of the 5400.3's are rated and 2.3 idle, 2.9 seek. The Hitachi drives are pretty much in the same range. So on paper, it stacks up well. The real world may be another story though.
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_tex wrote:
The 7200.1 Seagate drives are rated at 2.5 bels at idle and 2.9 bels at seek. Most of the 5400.3's are rated and 2.3 idle, 2.9 seek. The Hitachi drives are pretty much in the same range. So on paper, it stacks up well. The real world may be another story though.

I wouldn't really care how much noise it made, unless it was something unordinary. The stock internal drive is really quiet to me, and an increase in speed shouldn't make it that much louder. Most the time I have music playing or the TV is on, so i'm usually not in complete silence unless i'm doing my homework.
nanomano

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish Fujitsu would have listed the prices for the 120GB and 160GB models. I am jonesing for that 160GB drive big time. Anyone care to guess the price? Please don't say over three bills! Sad
Chris..S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its 9 months since seagate announced their 7200.2 Momentus drives. Still no 160GB version. Are these WD drives likely to be around any time soon?
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nanomano wrote:
Anyone care to guess the price? Please don't say over three bills! Sad

$299 with shipping and tax. Wink

Chris..S wrote:
I think its 9 months since seagate announced their 7200.2 Momentus drives. Still no 160GB version. Are these WD drives likely to be around any time soon?

I have been wondering the same thing. I thought they were supposed to come out here in the first quarter of 2007, but I don't see anything mentioned on their website anymore. It also looks like their website has been redesigned, so I might be missing something.
iLife's a Bitch!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Large capacity 2.5" drives for the mini don't really entice me. Where they shine is in the laptops. They are a lot nicer than having to port around an external drive.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Large capacity 2.5" drives for the mini don't really entice me.

That's a shocking statement. Shocked

But I kind of know what you mean by that. At some point, you are going an external drive with any computer. That being said, I'll still take all the internal speed and space I can get. Without spending an arm and leg that is. Laughing
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_tex wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
Large capacity 2.5" drives for the mini don't really entice me.

That's a shocking statement. Shocked

But I kind of know what you mean by that. At some point, you are going an external drive with any computer. That being said, I'll still take all the internal speed and space I can get. Without spending an arm and leg that is. Laughing

I just don't see real value to them. I wish the mini had a 3.5" drive. Some day maybe the 2.5" drives will catch up $/GB but I doubt it.

right now 160GB 5400 2.5" drive is $200 CDN I can get a 500GB 7200 RPM 3.5" drive for the same price. I can also keep the existing quiet 2.5" drive in my mini.

I'm not trying to be a grinch to this thread. I'm just commenting on the difference. I find it hard to get excited about the price/GB of 2.5" drives for a desktop computer.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I just don't see real value to them. I wish the mini had a 3.5" drive. Some day maybe the 2.5" drives will catch up $/GB but I doubt it.

The only "real value" is in their size, acoustics and power consumption. The latter doesn't really matter with the Mac mini, seeing that it's a desktop computer. As for $/GB. I really think there is a chance that one day 2.5" drives will catch up, especially if the laptop market continues to outpace the desktop market. I was able to buy my 160GB for just over $100 a couple of weeks ago. I would not have imagined that 6-9 months ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: