123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linux alternative - Fink for OS X

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bubba

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Linux alternative - Fink for OS X Reply with quote

If installing Linux isn't your cup of tea, you can still have some of your commonly found Linux applications on your OS X machine. Take a look at Fink - http://fink.sourceforge.net
geegee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's for the link. Are most of the applications stable?

Smalldog.com is my favorite Apple Store!
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Fink is not your ONLY option. From what I've read so far, I'd recommend Gentoo for OS X and/or the DarwinPorts project.

Being a long-time Gentoo user, having portage for OS X sounds pretty much like heaven. But the DarwinPorts project seems to have quite a few ports available (over 2000 at last count).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
James T. Kirkę

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Linux alternative - Fink for OS X Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
If installing Linux isn't your cup of tea, you can still have some of your commonly found Linux applications on your OS X machine. Take a look at Fink - http://fink.sourceforge.net

I'm using Linux right now (don't own a mini yet) and I wonder how these programs function: like an emulator as VPC and such, or does Fink/DarwinPorts MAKE an OSX program when installing a Linux program? There are a couple of programs in Linux which work nice and could nicely be ported to OSX I think.
~ Registered Linux user #310054 ~
made in Xandros 3.0 (Linux)
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Linux alternative - Fink for OS X Reply with quote

James T. Kirkę wrote:
I'm using Linux right now (don't own a mini yet) and I wonder how these programs function: like an emulator as VPC and such, or does Fink/DarwinPorts MAKE an OSX program when installing a Linux program? There are a couple of programs in Linux which work nice and could nicely be ported to OSX I think.

Well to be fair, they are not "Linux programs", but open source projects that, typically, run on a variety of UNIX and UNIX-like operating systems.

Both Gentoo on Linux and DarwinPorts provide a way to automatically download the source and compile new binaries on the Mac. Fink, I believe, is a binary package management system (software is pre-compiled for the Mac).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
James T. Kirkę

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Linux alternative - Fink for OS X Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:

Well to be fair, they are not "Linux programs", but open source projects that, typically, run on a variety of UNIX and UNIX-like operating systems.

Both Gentoo on Linux and DarwinPorts provide a way to automatically download the source and compile new binaries on the Mac. Fink, I believe, is a binary package management system (software is pre-compiled for the Mac).

OK, I think I understand (a little), not for nothing I use an 'easier' linux! Wink
~ Registered Linux user #310054 ~
made in Xandros 3.0 (Linux)
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice overview of DarwinPorts for OSX:

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2004/04/09/darwinports.html

The more I read about DarwinPorts, the more I believe it WILL be my open source package management system of choice once my mini arrives...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: