123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Belkin USB 2.0 and FireWire 6-Port Hub for Mac mini
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Gear Guide
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Belkin USB 2.0 and FireWire 6-Port Hub for Mac mini Reply with quote

Product: Belkin USB 2.0 and FireWire 6-Port Hub for Mac mini
Category: USB and FireWire Hubs

Summary:
The Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 and FireWire 6-Port Hub #F5U507 has a low-profile design specifically engineered to stack on top of or below the Mac mini-helping to organize and save your valuable desktop space. The Hub provides four downstream USB ports compatible with both Hi-Speed USB 2.0 and USB 1.1 (low- and full-speed) devices. It also features two FireWire ports to connect up to two of your FireWire devices. A single USB and a FireWire port are located on the front of the Hub to give you easy access for quick, temporary connections of USB thumb drives, media readers, small accessories such as the Apple iPod and iPod shuffle, and more. The Hub includes a USB cable, FireWire cable, and Lifetime Warranty. [List Price: $58.99]

danielsan26

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Arriving today.... Reply with quote

After being ordered more than a month ago, macmall reports mine will be arriving today. It's a gift for a friend of mine whose mini is her first mac ever, but if demand warrants I could get some pictures of it posted. I'm pretty nervous it will be incorrect since macmall's price is 1/2 Belkin's listed price, but the Belkin part #'s match, so I know I should be getting the right one. If you want to get it for $30, go to macmall and search for belking f5U507, which is Belkin's listed part # for this product. More news later!
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price on Belkin's website is their suggested retail price. I guess independent retailers can set their own prices. Maybe MacMall will have the Belkin Flip for $59-$69.Very Happy

Post your opinion of the hub!
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
danielsan26

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: It's here Reply with quote

Well, the package has officially arrived! I'm going to take some pictures of the box and try to get them linked up here, but since it's a present I'm going to have to get the permission of the recipient to post some pictures. Just some fyi, some people were speculating that it simply relocated the firewire port to the front, but it does in fact give 2 additional firewire ports.
andp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures please! Very Happy
danielsan26

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having lost my ftp server, I made a blogger page to toss some pictures up. I literally only had a few minutes to do this and I only had my bluetooth phone to take pictures with so I apologize for the sloppy, piece of junk, unrotated pictures. That one zoomed-in pictures says "mac mini not included." It's not quite as funny as "do not eat ipod shuffle," but was so Captain Obvious on a $29 hub I had to put it up there. That's a 4G 40GB B&W ipod next to it for the height comparison picture.
Photos here:
http://belkinhub.blogspot.com/
danielsan26

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should also note that the two plugs on the right of the rear of the hub connect to the mini, I'm not sure why a mini-usb goes to the hub, but it does. It looks kinda like a power input in the pictures but it's not. It adds 4 USB and 2 FW
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Is the base heavy? Does the base slide around when the mini stacked on top of it?
EyeTV 250 Plus
16GB 3G iPhone
danielsan26

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not very heavy, but definitely sturdy. Has the same feeling as my TI-89, if you know what I mean Very Happy Negative on the sliding issue, there's lots of surface area touching the desk of the same rubber material as the bottom of an ipod dock, if you've got one of those. The mini should be plenty heavy enough to hold it down through some pretty high richter (sp?) scale action, but at that point you've got much bigger problems to worry about. I don't have a mini myself it's actually a present for a friend of mine who just switched. Thinking about getting one to be my personal fileserver/private test webserver though. PB user and fairly recent switcher myself. Don't tell I opened the box.....shhhh
indahouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great deal for $30. I need more ports in the worst way. Time to break out the Visa card!
danielsan26

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One caveat I forgot to mention.....I placed the order with macmall (I should be getting a commission or something from them.....hmmmm) the day after Belkin announced the hub and the 1st day Macmall had anything on their website about them, that was a full month ago, I would definitely call that macmall # about availability before ordering, sounded like it could take a while for it to arrive.....
indahouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip! Sounds like a good idea. I hate when you order something over the net only to find out it won't be shipped for another month. I will call them over the phone as soon as you get off with them asking about your commission. Laughing
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danielsan26 wrote:
One caveat I forgot to mention.....I placed the order with macmall (I should be getting a commission or something from them.....hmmmm) the day after Belkin announced the hub and the 1st day Macmall had anything on their website about them, that was a full month ago, I would definitely call that macmall # about availability before ordering, sounded like it could take a while for it to arrive.....

I'm surprised they had the product listed the day after it was announced. Did they have the same price then? I assume you called the order in with Belkin part number.
EyeTV 250 Plus
16GB 3G iPhone
danielsan26

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I called it in the day after they announced it but they were already fully aware of the product and had ordered many already. Last time I checked the website it was the same price.
jrt1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the website and it said to call for availability. Anyone else selling them? I would like to buy one!

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail~dpno~569810.asp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Gear Guide All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: