123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any Recommendations for Anti Adware/Spyware?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merlyn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Any Recommendations for Anti Adware/Spyware? Reply with quote

I use ad-aware from Lavasoft for my PCs, but what do I use for my Mac Mini?
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never used or needed anti spyware for my Macs! There is no such thing as spyware on the Mac that I have ever seen!!! Welcome to what computing should be!! Wink
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
leftplay

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well not completely true but for the most part if you use Safari or Firefox on your Mac you should be ok, at least for now. But our beloved widgets might be the biggest security risk of all http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5700982.html?tag=zdfd.newsfeed
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leftplay wrote:
Well not completely true but for the most part if you use Safari or Firefox on your Mac you should be ok, at least for now. But our beloved widgets might be the biggest security risk of all http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5700982.html?tag=zdfd.newsfeed

What's not completely true? Please clearify what you mean!
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
leftplay

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LouieMacGoo wrote:
leftplay wrote:

What's not completely true? Please clearify what you mean!

A quote from the article, "A fellow blogger, going by the name of Aaron, has created a series of widgets that closely resemble Apple's own set of widgets and can be used to displace the genuine ones. One of these fake widgets can run with full system access without the user's express permission." By definition such an application is malware, which is worse than spyware. If Macs ever get a larger share of total computer users, it stands at 5% give or take, we can be sure that there WILL be new viruses, malware, ect for us also.

It does look like OS X 10.4.2 will finally address one widget security issue by including a widget manager, that surprise will let you disable and uninstall widgets - wonder who was the idoit who forgot that feature in the first place. 10.4.2 looks good, can't wait! Laughing
powermini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A practical way to stay safe (for now) is to download widgets from the apple website -- there are already more than you may ever have the time to try and erase Smile
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

powermini wrote:
A practical way to stay safe (for now) is to download widgets from the apple website -- there are already more than you may ever have the time to try and erase Smile

When you download a widget from Apple's site does it come from their server or from the publishers? I might be reaching, but there could be a security risk if it's coming from the publisher's server.
powermini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
powermini wrote:

When you download a widget from Apple's site does it come from their server or from the publishers? I might be reaching, but there could be a security risk if it's coming from the publisher's server.

The linked addresses start from wsidecar.apple.com, so the widgets ought to be maintained by apple. I do believe that apple tests them before uploading the links (if they are sane, which cannot be too hard to be).
chriscundy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been a mac user for 7 years now and i have never encountered a virus, spyware or anything dodgy like that Smile
This is the real world of computers where your system 'Just Works'!!
No more pain or suffering, no more Norton or McAfee slowing down your system as they use up too much memory in your system tray!!!
none of these email virus's work cos they're .exe attachments just wont work on the mac as the file system is totally the opposite to a peecee.

sit back, relax and enjoy!! spend your money on something nice like an ipod or turning your mini into a home media centre instead of buying unnceccary anti virus and spyware software!!
billabong

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a virus? Razz
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McAfee does make a virus app. Pretty much the only reason to have this would be to catch virii in email attachments that you might send on to other Windows users. It might be worth it if you want to help innoculate the internet, but other than that...

Also, with the widget manager in 10.4.2 (which everyone with Tiger should upgrade to promptly) the widgets aren't a big security threat anymore than attachments and phishing is. Now the fault lies with the consumer if he falls for social engineering ploys.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
blackjaw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the big reasons i bought a mac mini was becuase of the ease of use and lesser risk for spyware and viruses

it makes me so happy to not have to run a zone alarm firewall+spybot+panda+adaware....SOOO FREKIN HAPPY!
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackjaw wrote:
one of the big reasons i bought a mac mini was becuase of the ease of use and lesser risk for spyware and viruses

it makes me so happy to not have to run a zone alarm firewall+spybot+panda+adaware....SOOO FREKIN HAPPY!

I just hope you have your firewall on anyways...
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
blackjaw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
blackjaw wrote:

I just hope you have your firewall on anyways...

i believe my router has one built in...guess i should check on that..hahaha
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackjaw wrote:
i believe my router has one built in...guess i should check on that..hahaha

Most routers have a firewall built-in, but the firewall in OS X is awesome. It's in SysPrefs->Sharing->Firewall. Just check the box and you're done. It really shouldn't interfere with any programs because you can just check the box next to the program to allow access to ports it needs.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: