123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any Recommendations for Anti Adware/Spyware?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Merlyn
Member
Member


Joined: 03 Jun 2005
Posts: 84

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Any Recommendations for Anti Adware/Spyware? Reply with quote

I use ad-aware from Lavasoft for my PCs, but what do I use for my Mac Mini?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 590
Location: Livonia, Michigan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never used or needed anti spyware for my Macs! There is no such thing as spyware on the Mac that I have ever seen!!! Welcome to what computing should be!! Wink
_________________
13' Macbook 2.0ghz C2D w/2gb RAM and 120gb HD
G4 Mac Mini 1.42ghz w/1gb RAM, 80gb HD, SuperDrive, 160gb MiniStack
eMac 700mhz G4 PPC 1gb RAM 40gb HD, Combo drive
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
leftplay
Member
Member


Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Posts: 61

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well not completely true but for the most part if you use Safari or Firefox on your Mac you should be ok, at least for now. But our beloved widgets might be the biggest security risk of all http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5700982.html?tag=zdfd.newsfeed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 590
Location: Livonia, Michigan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leftplay wrote:
Well not completely true but for the most part if you use Safari or Firefox on your Mac you should be ok, at least for now. But our beloved widgets might be the biggest security risk of all http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5700982.html?tag=zdfd.newsfeed


What's not completely true? Please clearify what you mean!
_________________
13' Macbook 2.0ghz C2D w/2gb RAM and 120gb HD
G4 Mac Mini 1.42ghz w/1gb RAM, 80gb HD, SuperDrive, 160gb MiniStack
eMac 700mhz G4 PPC 1gb RAM 40gb HD, Combo drive
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
leftplay
Member
Member


Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Posts: 61

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LouieMacGoo wrote:
leftplay wrote:
Well not completely true but for the most part if you use Safari or Firefox on your Mac you should be ok, at least for now. But our beloved widgets might be the biggest security risk of all http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5700982.html?tag=zdfd.newsfeed


What's not completely true? Please clearify what you mean!


A quote from the article, "A fellow blogger, going by the name of Aaron, has created a series of widgets that closely resemble Apple's own set of widgets and can be used to displace the genuine ones. One of these fake widgets can run with full system access without the user's express permission." By definition such an application is malware, which is worse than spyware. If Macs ever get a larger share of total computer users, it stands at 5% give or take, we can be sure that there WILL be new viruses, malware, ect for us also.

It does look like OS X 10.4.2 will finally address one widget security issue by including a widget manager, that surprise will let you disable and uninstall widgets - wonder who was the idoit who forgot that feature in the first place. 10.4.2 looks good, can't wait! Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
powermini
New Member
New Member


Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A practical way to stay safe (for now) is to download widgets from the apple website -- there are already more than you may ever have the time to try and erase Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2005
Posts: 5385
Location: Dunwoody, GA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

powermini wrote:
A practical way to stay safe (for now) is to download widgets from the apple website -- there are already more than you may ever have the time to try and erase Smile


When you download a widget from Apple's site does it come from their server or from the publishers? I might be reaching, but there could be a security risk if it's coming from the publisher's server.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
powermini
New Member
New Member


Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
powermini wrote:
A practical way to stay safe (for now) is to download widgets from the apple website -- there are already more than you may ever have the time to try and erase Smile


When you download a widget from Apple's site does it come from their server or from the publishers? I might be reaching, but there could be a security risk if it's coming from the publisher's server.


The linked addresses start from wsidecar.apple.com, so the widgets ought to be maintained by apple. I do believe that apple tests them before uploading the links (if they are sane, which cannot be too hard to be).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chriscundy
New Member
New Member


Joined: 13 Jul 2005
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been a mac user for 7 years now and i have never encountered a virus, spyware or anything dodgy like that Smile
This is the real world of computers where your system 'Just Works'!!
No more pain or suffering, no more Norton or McAfee slowing down your system as they use up too much memory in your system tray!!!
none of these email virus's work cos they're .exe attachments just wont work on the mac as the file system is totally the opposite to a peecee.

sit back, relax and enjoy!! spend your money on something nice like an ipod or turning your mini into a home media centre instead of buying unnceccary anti virus and spyware software!!
_________________
MacMini 1.42Ghz | 1GB Ram | 80GB HDD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
billabong
Member
Member


Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 147
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a virus? Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 05 May 2005
Posts: 1303
Location: Providence, Rhode Island

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McAfee does make a virus app. Pretty much the only reason to have this would be to catch virii in email attachments that you might send on to other Windows users. It might be worth it if you want to help innoculate the internet, but other than that...

Also, with the widget manager in 10.4.2 (which everyone with Tiger should upgrade to promptly) the widgets aren't a big security threat anymore than attachments and phishing is. Now the fault lies with the consumer if he falls for social engineering ploys.
_________________
Computer Engineer
Junior, Brown University
15" NC8430 HP Laptop
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
blackjaw
Member
Member


Joined: 10 Jul 2005
Posts: 112

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the big reasons i bought a mac mini was becuase of the ease of use and lesser risk for spyware and viruses

it makes me so happy to not have to run a zone alarm firewall+spybot+panda+adaware....SOOO FREKIN HAPPY!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 05 May 2005
Posts: 1303
Location: Providence, Rhode Island

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackjaw wrote:
one of the big reasons i bought a mac mini was becuase of the ease of use and lesser risk for spyware and viruses

it makes me so happy to not have to run a zone alarm firewall+spybot+panda+adaware....SOOO FREKIN HAPPY!


I just hope you have your firewall on anyways...
_________________
Computer Engineer
Junior, Brown University
15" NC8430 HP Laptop
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
blackjaw
Member
Member


Joined: 10 Jul 2005
Posts: 112

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
blackjaw wrote:
one of the big reasons i bought a mac mini was becuase of the ease of use and lesser risk for spyware and viruses

it makes me so happy to not have to run a zone alarm firewall+spybot+panda+adaware....SOOO FREKIN HAPPY!


I just hope you have your firewall on anyways...


i believe my router has one built in...guess i should check on that..hahaha
_________________
1.42 ghz mac mini w/ 1gig ram
17" LG flatron 1720p
30GB ipod photo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 05 May 2005
Posts: 1303
Location: Providence, Rhode Island

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackjaw wrote:
i believe my router has one built in...guess i should check on that..hahaha


Most routers have a firewall built-in, but the firewall in OS X is awesome. It's in SysPrefs->Sharing->Firewall. Just check the box and you're done. It really shouldn't interfere with any programs because you can just check the box next to the program to allow access to ports it needs.
_________________
Computer Engineer
Junior, Brown University
15" NC8430 HP Laptop
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



      

Shop:  Apple Store  |  Refurbished Macs  |  Refurbished iPads  |  MacConnection  |  Mac Mini Vault  |  Other World Computing

MK 1 Studio Mac mini Racks  |  Crucial Mac Memory  |  Top Free Mac Apps  |  Top Paid Mac Apps



123Macmini.com is an independent publication and has not been authorized, sponsored, or approved by Apple Computer, Inc.
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owners.
Copyright © 2011 123Macmini.com. All Rights Reserved.