123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

H-Squared intros new Mini Mount, Mini Shelf and Air Mount

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: H-Squared intros new Mini Mount, Mini Shelf and Air Mount Reply with quote

H-Squared intros new Mini Mount, Mini Shelf and Air Mount
Tuesday, February 20, 2007
Posted by: Glenn

H-Squared today unveiled two new mounts for the Mac mini and a mount for Apple's latest AirPort Extreme 802.11n base station. The Mini mount ($39.99, $54.99 with backlight) serves as an improved wall mount for the Mac mini, offering a lower-profile stop that is entirely hidden when mounted. The new mount also adds VESA mounting holes in both 75mm and 100mm configurations.

The Mini Shelf ($44.99) is designed to stow a Mac mini system while deterring theft. It locks the Mac mini in place with a small "bar" that slides through the rear of the mount. The bar can be locked in place so that the Mac mini cannot be removed. The Mini Shelf is also stackable - meaning you can purchase additional units and connect them in a vertical series for additional peripherals. The Air Mount ($37.99, $52.99 with backlight) is specifically made for the Airport Extreme 802.11n base station so you can mount it both horizontally and vertically. The design allows you to get the Airport Extreme up off of the desk and in an area where your signal strength and speed can be maximized.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/607.html

Last edited by admin on Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:50 am; edited 4 times in total
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Air Mount is beautiful. I would get one if I had an AirPort Extreme. The Mini Shelf is ok looking. Though the lock bar had me laughing a little. I guess if you used it in combination with the lock slot on the back of the Mini, it would be really secure. I just don't like the look of the Mini Mount. But I guess two out of three isn't bad.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in most educational systems, 2/3 would equate to 66%- not a stellar score. If you have suggestions on how to improve the look of the Mini mount, feel free to PM me. I'm always open to new ideas!

P.S.-That bar in the back of the Mini shelf is much stronger than I thought it would be. 1/4" material actually holds up pretty well. Smile
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It gets the job done. It just seems a little curvy to me. The reason I like the Air Mount is because it is more squared. Plus I just think the part on the front underneath looks better on the Air Mount. Mostly for the reason it is wider than the Mini Mounts. It just seems too small under the Mac Mini from the picture. Plus the Air Mount lights up better on the sides.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. Appreciate the comments.

Oh...by the way. I just noticed some of the links on the Air Mount page were busted. They're all fixed now. Sorry! Embarassed
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremyh wrote:
Oh...by the way. I just noticed some of the links on the Air Mount page were busted. They're all fixed now. Sorry! Embarassed
Looks great lighted up! The little details in the writing on the side sure do look nice lit up.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Looks great lighted up! The little details in the writing on the side sure do look nice lit up.

Yeah, the lighting on the Air Mount looks very cool. I wonder if the Airport logo and text are etched or silkscreened onto the plastic? They seem to be reflecting the light perfectly.
jeremyh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're etched in. I was shocked when we first lit it up. Happy you guys like it.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's cool how the Air Mount actually holds the AE base station. I'm talking about how the side arms fit into the indented band that goes around the AE's body. That's a nice design.
jeremyh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Actually, I wish the Mac mini and the Apple TV had that as well. Would make the design a bit cleaner (from a profile standpoint)...but you play the cards you're dealt. Smile
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremyh wrote:
Thanks. Actually, I wish the Mac mini and the Apple TV had that as well. Would make the design a bit cleaner (from a profile standpoint)...but you play the cards you're dealt. Smile

I also wish the Apple TV had at least the same footprint as the Mac mini, 6.5" x 6.5". If it only had a different height, it would make things easier. We wouldn't need to make a new product just for it. Wink

I'm curious about how your Mini Shelf stacks together. You seem to be using the same holes for the screws, the screwdriver and the stacking method.

And BTW, it really does look nice when lighted up. Is it laser-etched before being laser-cut?
jeremyh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:

I'm curious about how your Mini Shelf stacks together. You seem to be using the same holes for the screws, the screwdriver and the stacking method.

Yes. To add a unit below, I include metal binding posts that screw together and are recessed so they don't obstruct the Mac mini at all. I haven't tested how many units you could stack together, but I'm guessing you could go to the floor as 1/4" acrylic is pretty strong in a single piece design like the Mini Shelf.

Yvan256 wrote:
And BTW, it really does look nice when lighted up. Is it laser-etched before being laser-cut?

Thanks! The process happens all at the same time- although the laser typically etches first and then makes a final cut pass.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremyh wrote:
Yes. To add a unit below, I include metal binding posts that screw together and are recessed so they don't obstruct the Mac mini at all.

I see. That's one advantage of using 1/4" acrylic instead of 0.051" aluminum. The aluminum is too thin to conceal bolt heads and such. I can only use the space right under the vents with small button head bolts.

Last edited by Yvan256 on Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:12 pm; edited 4 times in total
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremyh wrote:
They're etched in. I was shocked when we first lit it up. Happy you guys like it.

That's cool! Can you do MacBooks with the same etching machine? Laughing
jeremyh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooper wrote:

That's cool! Can you do MacBooks with the same etching machine? Laughing

Probably so...just gotta figure out where to put the light. Smile

Although I haven't tried it yet, I believe that anodized aluminum like found on the iPod and MBP would etch fine. The MacBook would be no problem as it's plastic just like the Mini mounts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: