123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fonts all blurry...double vision...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackjaw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, im going to head over there in a few minutes before i go to work

i was just so stoked on the mac mini, and i just picked up the display that was hooked to it without even thinking

im going to see if they will hook a few monitors into the mini they have on display, just to see what it looks like, its worth a try
blackjaw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i went back to bestbuy today and they didnt have the westinghouse widescreen (go figure)...it was backordered for a week or two...so i got this one instead http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6289535&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01010&id=1072287232189

so far its a great monitor, colors are great and the sharpness is 100% better than the old monitor...plus it came with a dvi cable in the box (kinda sucks i have one being shipped to me as well...oh well..haha)

only qualm so far is the dead pixel out of teh box....like an inch and half from the bottom of the monitor, right in the center

im usually pretty anal about that kind of thing, but its only one dead pixel, if i see a few more i might take it back, but so far im happy

thanks for all the help guys!

...now to decide if i want to install this gig of crucial memory myself or have bestbuy/compusa do it for me....
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackjaw wrote:
...now to decide if i want to install this gig of crucial memory myself or have bestbuy/compusa do it for me....

Do it yourself....You know you wanna....Laughing It's not terribly hard. Just get a putty knife and have at it. I can make a high quality vid for you of me doing it and send it to you over AIM if you'd like.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
blackjaw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just watched the video over at OWC of a dude doing an entire install (HD, superdrive, memory)..and it took him like 20 minutes..haha

its not so much the difficulty as ive upgraded my pc more times than i can count, but the time...it might be worth me paying the 30 bucks for bestbuy or compusa to do it as i dont have much free time on my hands right now Sad

eh, but perhaps i will go see if i have a putty knife readily available, if i do then maybe i will just do it quickly before work
blackjaw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i found a putty knife so i guess i might as well give it a shot...if things go terribly wrong (which i cant imagine how unless i break one of the plastic pin things) then i will just take it to bestbuy or something..haha
blackjaw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well that wasnt the easiest mod ever, but it wasnt the hardest

i had a problem opening the case at first, i was too gentle, didnt want to break my new mini, but eventually got it open

then i had a problem shutting it, the back wouldnt line up right

finally got it done and shut, only a few scratches on the bottom of the case and a few on the little plastic connector thingys inside (from the dang putty knife)

i havnet really noticed the difference yet...haha...but then again i havent done anythign with the mini besides firefox and ichat
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really scratched up the white part on the bottom part of the care, the part right below the prongs that clip onto the top of the case. My putty knife corners got bend and when I pulled them they really scratched the white. Luckily it's on the inside so it doesn't matter, just make sure you don't have bent corners on your knife.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
philpro68

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackjaw wrote:
yeah, i might just do that, i love the widescreen and the dvi option (which im going to hit up as soon as that dang cable comes)

i really liked the display unit they had hooked up to the mac at best buy, i didnt see this problem there, and i havent found it online anywhere on any forums, so i guess i mightve just gotten a dud

If you haven't already solved your problem, the refresh rate being set too low will cause that. Some of the monitors will set default to 65Hz which is to low. Set it as high as your video Mini/monitor will allow around 75Hz.
blackjaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpro68 wrote:
blackjaw wrote:
yeah, i might just do that, i love the widescreen and the dvi option (which im going to hit up as soon as that dang cable comes)

i really liked the display unit they had hooked up to the mac at best buy, i didnt see this problem there, and i havent found it online anywhere on any forums, so i guess i mightve just gotten a dud

If you haven't already solved your problem, the refresh rate being set too low will cause that. Some of the monitors will set default to 65Hz which is to low. Set it as high as your video Mini/monitor will allow around 75Hz.

i actually bought an overpriced LG and didnt really like it, so i returned it and ordered another one of the westinghouse 17" widescreen lcd's (to compliment the mini and also for the widescreen aspect of it)....hopefully this time nothing will be wrong with it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: