123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Intel's New 80 Core Chip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robinscruffy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Intel's New 80 Core Chip Reply with quote

Intel has just unveiled a 80 Core chip that can process up to one trillion calculations per second.

Intel says it will be in servers or computers of the future or artificial intelligence. The technology made by this chip will be used in computers, PDAs, etc.

??????????Could we see a Mac Pro with this??????????
- iPod Touch 8GB

Visit www.thebigapples.net Very Happy Podcasts, Videos & more Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe in the way future. Im thinking there will be an 8 core Mac Pro, not an 80 core Mac Pro.
robinscruffy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyPod wrote:
Maybe in the way future. Im thinking there will be an 8 core Mac Pro, not an 80 core Mac Pro.

Yeh thats probably what Apple will do next. But think how mental it would be to have one in a Mac Pro, it would probably take only a second to boot up.

But it's going to be interesting to see if someone turns it into A.I
- iPod Touch 8GB

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robinscruffy wrote:
Yeh thats probably what Apple will do next. But think how mental it would be to have one in a Mac Pro, it would probably take only a second to boot up.

If that were the case, I would save up for a long time and get that. Have they ever tested one of these 80 core processors yet? Are there any on the market?
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robinscruffy wrote:

Actually, it would probably not be as big of a speed boost for booting as you'd think, because booting up requires a large transfer of data from the hard drive to memory, which is mostly independent of CPU speed.
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:
robinscruffy wrote:

Actually, it would probably not be as big of a speed boost for booting as you'd think, because booting up requires a large transfer of data from the hard drive to memory, which is mostly independent of CPU speed.

So having let's say a 15,00 RPM drive would have faster boot times than a 80 Core processor?
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily. There's many factors that come in to play when booting up a computer. Depending on the configuration, some play larger roles than other. I would be suspect of any one component making a gigantic difference in boot time, with no other variables being changed.

Plus, who the heck boots up and down their computers? Mine sleep and wake, the only reason I reboot is to switch to Windows or when I apply system updates.
robinscruffy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:
Not necessarily. There's many factors that come in to play when booting up a computer. Depending on the configuration, some play larger roles than other. I would be suspect of any one component making a gigantic difference in boot time, with no other variables being changed.

Plus, who the heck boots up and down their computers? Mine sleep and wake, the only reason I reboot is to switch to Windows or when I apply system updates.

Using 15,000rpm RAID (Like 4 of them) would help A LOT. Not sure if you could use to boot up. Or maybe flash memory, if your further the technology, you can replace it for the hard drive, but do they have a faster data rate than hard drives.

Oh Intel says that its only a prototype, they don't intend on putting it into production. They said that it only uses 65W of power and switches the cores on and off when it needs to. It's based on intels new chip i believe that is supposed to come out sometime near the summer. So look out for new Macs with them inside.
- iPod Touch 8GB

TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:
Plus, who the heck boots up and down their computers?

I don't. The only time I shut down or restart is when I have to. Like after doing an OnyX clean-up or getting a software update from Apple.
Gesiwuj

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is with parallel computing, is that an 80 core processor will not be 40 times as powerful as a dual core processor.

Here is a Wikibooks explanation of Amdahl's law that defines parallel processing:

In the special case of parallelization, Amdahl's law states that if F is the fraction of a calculation that is sequential (i.e. cannot benefit from parallelisation), and (1 − F) is the fraction that can be parallelised, then the maximum speedup that can be achieved by using N processors is

In the limit, as N tends to infinity, the maximum speedup tends to 1/F. In practice, price/performance ratio falls rapidly as N is increased once (1 − F)/N is small compared to F.

As an example, if F is only 10%, the problem can be sped up by only a maximum of a factor of 10, no matter how large the value of N used. For this reason, parallel computing is only useful for either small numbers of processors, or problems with very low values of F: so-called embarrassingly parallel problems. A great part of the craft of parallel programming consists of attempting to reduce F to the smallest possible value.
robinscruffy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well lets focus on the A.I side of this, because i would love to see happen at some point.
- iPod Touch 8GB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: