123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

View posts since last visit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: View posts since last visit Reply with quote

What is the quickest way to get back to viewing all the posts since your last visit after you've read a link? The way I'm doing it seems clunky.

I started by clicking <back> <back> to view the list again (which isn't updated because that page is cached on my computer). This can also be annoying if you've linked through multiple pages.

I then moved on to clicking on the "Forums forum index" link and then clicking on "view posts since my last visit" again.

I've heard of mark page and snapback. And I guess I could try doing that, but it would probably be easier if there was simply a "view posts since my last visit" at the end of each page. (This may also help educate people on this feature)

Any feedback would be appreciated. Maybe I'm just overlooking something obvious.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I understand your question fully:

You were viewing a thread and followed a link off site. You were off-site for a while reading that article, but then you come back to the thread by clicking back however many times you need to?

I would just hit F5 then, because that would refresh the page and reset your cache to the latest version.

You could also just disable cache like I do; it's actually faster on very fast connections.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try again.

When I come to this site I:
1- "Go to the forums"
2- "View posts since last visit"
3- Then I go into a topic that interests me.

This is all great but, after I am done reading a post I want to go back to the list of all the posts I still haven't read since my last visit with one click or keyboard command.

Right now I have to click <back> an number of times, or select "123macmini.com- Forums forum index" at the bottom of each thread then select "View posts since my last visit" all over again.

This may seem minor, but after reading 30 threads it seems inefficient. A link to "View posts since my last visit" at the bottom of each thread page would solve this.

Again, I'm open to other suggestions.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just used that feature (didn't know we had it) and it worked perfectly like this.

1) click view posts since last visit
2) click interesting thread
3) read, reply
4) hit backspace (click back) until I'm back at the listing of threads with recent postings
5) Press F5 (reload)

That worked fine for me. It's a little convoluted and it would be nice to have a link to take you back to that page when you're viewing a thread. I guess I'm just used to things being more difficult and don't even think about it.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad suggestion, if you haven't went through too many pages. For example if you read a 3 page thread you'd have to hit delete 4 times. But it would still be quicker than using the mouse.

I tried out the snapback feature in Safari. This will work perfectly for me and it would be good to get used to using this feature.

Mark page <option><command><k>
Page snapback <option><command><p>
<command><R> to reload page.

Now, I'll have to figure out how to build all those commands into 1 keystroke and I'll be laughing.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make things really easy. I went into:

1- system preferences
2- keyboard and mouse
3- keyboard shortcuts
4- All applications
5- +
6- select "safari"
7- +
8- Mark Page for SnapBack (assign F1)
9- +
10- Page SnapBack (assign F2)
11- +
12- Reload Page (assign F3)

Now it is very simple and quick. I can keep my right hand on the mouse and my use left hand for F1,F2&F3.

The Mac is soooo cooool I wouldn't have been able to do this in windows.

So to use these things now.
1- Start Safari
2- 123macmini.com
3- forums
4- view posts since last visit
5- F1
6- (read thread)
7- F2
8- (read another thread... and so on)
9- F2
10- F3 to refresh if needed

note: If you update Safari you may need to set this up again. I'm not sure.
wasted

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: On a related note: (sorry for the thread divergence later) Reply with quote

Is there a way on this forum (like on other phpBB type forums) to, once you have clicked on "view posts since last visit", just jump to last unread post in that thread? Another board/forum I'm on will list all the threads with unread messages since your last login to the forum, and then there is a link on the top of each thread once you click on it that says "jump to last unread message." That way you don't have to remember where you left off in reading that thread and can continue where you did. Would be especially useful for these multi-page threads we've been having on the boards lately.

BTW, I guess I should introduce myself, being this is my first post and all. I've been reading the boards and site since it was started in late January when the Mac Mini was first released (bought mine that Saturday January 22, 2005), but I just registered for the forums today since it's getting too hard to follow all the threads I've read since the last visit to the site, which can be several times a day sometimes or just once or twice a week other times.

I've got a stock 1.42Ghz, 80GB $599 Mini that I've upgraded to 1GB RAM myself, connected to a 17" Mag Innovision CRT 771-FS (no CRT issues for this baby), a USB Apple keyboard ($30), and a USB Logitech MX310 optical mouse. I have a Griffin iMic that I use for line in recording for my audio projects. I also bought an external FW/USB enclosure (CompUSA brand - $50) that I threw an old 40GB HD I had lying around in my PC for backing up the Mac, which I bought in late April before I upgraded to Tiger (erase and install after the backup). No problems on my Mini at all, whether display or otherwise that people have been having. Cool I'll also upload 1 picture of my setup (which is probably the smallest in space usage of any on this board I bet). I've got my Mini, the CRT, a router, cable modem, Apple Keyboard, & mouse all crammed onto a small corner computer desk that's about 2.5' x 2.5'.

The only problem I had earlier in the Mini's life was when I was ripping my entire 300+ CD collection into iTunes (took about 20.4GB at standard AAC settings). Some of my CD's (approximately 5%) would cause the Mini's CD drive to emit the high pitched whine that another thread here mentions not too long ago. Importing into iTunes for these CD's also took forever and I'd get the spinning beachball of death when trying to quit iTunes after I got tired of waiting. After much research on the net, I came to the conclusion based on info from various troubleshooting sites that the drives in some Macs have a hard time reading certain discs, especially those with artwork on them that may be uneven or with security devices on the front of them. This causes an imbalance, which causes the high-pitched whining noise when spinning and the long encoding times due to poor readability of the disc from the imbalance.

Relating to another thread regarding backing up my Mini's HD, I prefer to use the built in Disk Utility that comes with OSX instead of spending extra money on SuperDuper, CCC, or other backup software. The less extra software needed, the better, I say anyways. Wink Why waste your money if you don't need to use the extra functionality those programs offer? With the built-in Disk Utility app, just choose your primary drive, the Restore tab on the top, then choose the primary drive again as the Source drive and the secondary (external usually) drive as the Destination drive. Disk Utility will copy everything from your primary drive automatically without any extra work and if the Destination drive is FW you can even use it as a bootable drive, without needing CCC or SuperDuper, etc.

The Mini is my first foray into actual Macs & their OSes ever. I'm loving it and learning something new every day. Making a great substitute for my previous OS (BeOS/PhOS) that was used for day-to-day functionality on the PC which I pretty much let the wife use mostly nowadays (WinXP of course). Doesn't boot up as fast as BeOS did, but has the latest functionality (i.e. Java & flash, etc.) that BeOS was lacking. Running my mini 24-7 (except for during bad thunderstorms when I turn it off) since day 1 crunching Seti@home data packets without any issues so far. The fan runs a little high when Seti kicks in but other than that it's good. Takes about 5 - 5 1/2 hours to crunch a data packet for Seti with this machine, which is about the same time it took with my homebuilt PC the wife uses now (AMD Athlon XP2400+ with 512MB DDRAM).

Sorry for the long reply & introductory post, but I figured I'd tackle several replies at once for a few threads I read over the last couple days. Happy to be a registered member of the forum! Wink
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this site has the ability to automatically take you to the last post you read in a thread. That would be a nice feature. Especially if a lot of posts went up since you last looked at that thread.
I've seen this program used for a few forums and I've never seen that feature available.

Welcome to the site. Your 1 post was worth 3 or 4 Wink I'd say.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About time! Welcome! Wink
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: