123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AMUG reviews 1.66GHz Mac mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:
WordPress is great, provided you use a decent theme. I view it more as a framework, not as a finished product. The problem is, the majority of the population sticks with the defaults.

It is a nice blogging solution, but that default theme is killing me. I think it's called Kubrick right?
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. It's pretty plain. Not really ugly, but so boring.

However, I'd take 100 default Word Press installs over 10 circa-1999 Geocities pages.
Gmac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not tha t good in english...I haven't understood if it's good to upgrade my mini from a double 512mb ram to 1.512GB ...two 1GB is too expensive for me but my dubbel 512mb is a bit slow...
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmac wrote:
I'm not tha t good in english...I haven't understood if it's good to upgrade my mini from a double 512mb ram to 1.512GB ...two 1GB is too expensive for me but my dubbel 512mb is a bit slow...

Well, my southern neighbour, I'd check again if I were you, prices have gone down considerably and if you're Dutch languaged you might be able to understand and order these: http://www.zercom.nl/index.php?p=35&f=1&s=1&a=13570. It is even in Eindhoven, and if you're close to the border it might be handy to visit as well.
The only question I have, is the CL of 5 an disadvantage to the CL 4 I see advertised as well for Corsair and other memory?
Gmac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
Gmac wrote:

Well, my southern neighbour, I'd check again if I were you, prices have gone down considerably and if you're Dutch languaged you might be able to understand and order these: http://www.zercom.nl/index.php?p=35&f=1&s=1&a=13570. It is even in Eindhoven, and if you're close to the border it might be handy to visit as well.
The only question I have, is the CL of 5 an disadvantage to the CL 4 I see advertised as well for Corsair and other memory?

actually I'm french languaged..well I do undestand the article but I saw some upstairs saying it can ben nice to change only one chip...I do not find where in the article they're saying that...

maybe two 1GB are now a bit more affordable but isn't it a bit stupid to throw away my brand new two 512mb? I'd like to keep one...
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmac wrote:

actually I'm french languaged..well I do undestand the article but I saw some upstairs saying it can ben nice to change only one chip...I do not find where in the article they're saying that...

maybe two 1GB are now a bit more affordable but isn't it a bit stupid to throw away my brand new two 512mb? I'd like to keep one...

I don't know if in Wallonia it is just as populair to sell on second hand sites as it is in The Netherlands and Flanders, but if you can sell with a bit less than new (approx. 2/3) it might be interesting for a lot of people to buy your memory for their MacMini, Macbook (Pro) or other laptop machines and it is off your hands. Of course you can start with 1 stick of 1GB and buy another one later, but are you able to get a matched pair later which is exactly the same? I wonder if their will be heavier memorysticks later of, say 2 or 3 GB and the acMini will be able to use that?
Gmac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
Gmac wrote:

I don't know if in Wallonia it is just as populair to sell on second hand sites as it is in The Netherlands and Flanders, but if you can sell with a bit less than new (approx. 2/3) it might be interesting for a lot of people to buy your memory for their MacMini, Macbook (Pro) or other laptop machines and it is off your hands. Of course you can start with 1 stick of 1GB and buy another one later, but are you able to get a matched pair later which is exactly the same? I wonder if their will be heavier memorysticks later of, say 2 or 3 GB and the acMini will be able to use that?

don't know either...

thanks for your answer.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmac wrote:
don't know either...

thanks for your answer.

Try to make an ad here: http://www.2dehands.be/ and http://www.kapaza.be/. They are Dutch languaged sites but if you put an advert in "Francophone" I guess most Flemish people won't mind and buy anyway.
Good luck! Smile
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to the review itself, I found the hard drive comparison results very interesting, especially the way that hard drive performance deteriorates as the drive fills up. This leads me to a question related to my own setup. I partition all my drives into two volumes, which allows me to run utilities that require the unmounting of a volume for repair or optimization (e.g., DiskWarrior). My question is how partitioning of a drive affects performance. For read/write performance which matters, the percent fullness of the drive or the percent fullness of the volume?
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Going back to the review itself, I found the hard drive comparison results very interesting, especially the way that hard drive performance deteriorates as the drive fills up. This leads me to a question related to my own setup. I partition all my drives into two volumes, which allows me to run utilities that require the unmounting of a volume for repair or optimization (e.g., DiskWarrior). My question is how partitioning of a drive affects performance. For read/write performance which matters, the percent fullness of the drive or the percent fullness of the volume?

I'd ask in the forums testing these harddrives, isn't a forum linked to:
http://www.storagereview.com/articles/200511/notebook_1.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: