123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Review: LaCie mini Hard Drive & Hub
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dimac1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
he Iomega mini is comparable with the Newer Tech Ministack (older model) and another brand which has exactly the same stuff inside. Not very nice made, plastic case has a ugly edge just around the corner, works good enough though...

So if it is comparable to the older ministack, is the suggestion that the ministack v2 is much better than any of the other products out there?
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't compare with the older Mini Stack, I have the V2, but I liked my old LaCie minimate much better, looks cooler and I really don't need the hub so much, especially if one owns a Intel Mac Mini with more USB's Any of the other FW drives has an extra FW port anyway. The LaCie or the Sabrent drives probably looks best (aluminum cases), and my guess is, the LaCie is not bad at all. If you don't mind how it looks like, you might consider buying a whole different brand, not MacMini like, but I'd suggest to stay with Firewire.
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
I can't compare with the older Mini Stack, I have the V2, but I liked my old LaCie minimate much better, looks cooler and I really don't need the hub so much, especially if one owns a Intel Mac Mini with more USB's Any of the other FW drives has an extra FW port anyway. The LaCie or the Sabrent drives probably looks best (aluminum cases), and my guess is, the LaCie is not bad at all. If you don't mind how it looks like, you might consider buying a whole different brand, not MacMini like, but I'd suggest to stay with Firewire.

I agree, I think the LaCie Mini looks the best out of all the external hard drives built for the mini.
dimac1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought reading this forum that the Lacie was noisy especially if wanting to use it as a media centre hub in a living room. Looks aside I don't think I want a enclosure that makes more noise than the mac mini, but I do want something that will provide a good basis for a multimedia centre in my living room running photos and songs often plus some video now and again.

Other reports suggested the LaCie was not up to the job.

The Iomega is something similar to the Ministack from what I can gather, but with a garrish Iomega logo on the front, mind you whats in a logo in a living room.........

and the mini stack v2 was similar to that.

Only questions I have now are does the ministack v2 come with a UK plug or can one be fitted. I saw a pic ands it seemed to suggest that the plug was on a separate lead to the adapter and so it may be possible to fit a UK plug. Have emailed sales ref this but no response so far, busy time of year I guess.

I could go with a different enclosure, but iot looks much nicer when all stcked together neatly under the tv with the xbox360 sky tv etc rather than adding yet another shaped box to ry and fit into the mix.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimac1 wrote:
I thought reading this forum that the Lacie was noisy especially if wanting to use it as a media centre hub in a living room. Looks aside I don't think I want a enclosure that makes more noise than the mac mini, but I do want something that will provide a good basis for a multimedia centre in my living room running photos and songs often plus some video now and again.

Other reports suggested the LaCie was not up to the job.

The Iomega is something similar to the Ministack from what I can gather, but with a garrish Iomega logo on the front, mind you whats in a logo in a living room.........

and the mini stack v2 was similar to that.

Only questions I have now are does the ministack v2 come with a UK plug or can one be fitted. I saw a pic ands it seemed to suggest that the plug was on a separate lead to the adapter and so it may be possible to fit a UK plug. Have emailed sales ref this but no response so far, busy time of year I guess.

I could go with a different enclosure, but iot looks much nicer when all stcked together neatly under the tv with the xbox360 sky tv etc rather than adding yet another shaped box to ry and fit into the mix.

If it is in a living-room environement, it does not bother so much that the V2 is not real aluminum and even, if one has black hifi/TV appliances, there are black skins for the mac mini and one can stick something similar to the V2 and gone is the not good looking appearance of the V2.
About the plug: the external power supply is 110 ~ 240 V; 50/60 HZ and the powercord is detachable. I have an USA V2 and I live in The Netherlands. It was a no brainer just to swap the cord for a Eurocord.
aralin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 500GB version quieter or louder than miniStack v2? Reply with quote

Dan Harkless wrote:
The most important thing to me is quiet. Has anyone gotten their hands on an LmHDH 500GB model yet? I'm very curious how the fan and drive noise would compare between it and the miniStack v2, at idle and under load.

One other question: Anyone know what Mac OS X software is on the LaCie Utilities CD-ROM? Is it just the 1-Click Backup Software?

I just got the LaCie Mini Hub 500Gb model in mail. I was very excited to get ir working and it looked great in the setup with Mac Mini and Miglia TVMax (although I wish they more closely fit the Mac Mini design). The only thing I don't like is the LaCie logo in front.

The noise though is a huge issue. The HDD runs very warm. The fan started after just couple of minutes and it never stopped! I have unmounted the disk, after 10 minutes, the fan was still running and the disk was hot. So I ejected it, 10 more minutes, still hot. So I turned the disk off, with the power switch, the disk still hot and the fan still running. I had to unplug the power cable for it to finally stop! And the fan noise is loud. It is almost like a hairdryer.

I will search some more on the net if this is just some malfunctioning unit, but if this is a normal operation, I will return the disk. It is totally unacceptable level of noise from an external disk.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 500GB version quieter or louder than miniStack v2? Reply with quote

aralin wrote:
Dan Harkless wrote:
The most important thing to me is quiet. Has anyone gotten their hands on an LmHDH 500GB model yet? I'm very curious how the fan and drive noise would compare between it and the miniStack v2, at idle and under load.

One other question: Anyone know what Mac OS X software is on the LaCie Utilities CD-ROM? Is it just the 1-Click Backup Software?

I just got the LaCie Mini Hub 500Gb model in mail. I was very excited to get ir working and it looked great in the setup with Mac Mini and Miglia TVMax (although I wish they more closely fit the Mac Mini design). The only thing I don't like is the LaCie logo in front.

The noise though is a huge issue. The HDD runs very warm. The fan started after just couple of minutes and it never stopped! I have unmounted the disk, after 10 minutes, the fan was still running and the disk was hot. So I ejected it, 10 more minutes, still hot. So I turned the disk off, with the power switch, the disk still hot and the fan still running. I had to unplug the power cable for it to finally stop! And the fan noise is loud. It is almost like a hairdryer.

I will search some more on the net if this is just some malfunctioning unit, but if this is a normal operation, I will return the disk. It is totally unacceptable level of noise from an external disk.

I think you have a dud. Good luck.
sylvere

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do have the same problme on my Lacie Mini 500Gb , very noisy!
Lacie D2 500 GB
2 tuners Diversity EveTV on MacMini
jgdh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: Same problem... Reply with quote

I have the same issue with my Lacie. This can't be how it is supposed to work - it's only got a hard disk inside, whereas the Mac Mini itself has an entire computer inc. processor packed in to the same space and it stays cool and almost silent. I have also read reviews of this drive that comment on how quiet it is, and mine currently sounds like a hairdryer. I sent mine back as DOA, but it has just been returned to me as non-faulty! Ha anyone else successfully returned theirs and got a quiet one back by return?
stangri

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody can comment on how do the 3 models mentioned before compare to the minimate: http://www.micronet.com/General/minimate.asp ?

Thanks!
dgpdx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

camination wrote:
what happens when the Mac Mini is put to sleep? does the lacie go to sleep too? ...

No, and furthermore, since I've hooked up my LaCie to the mini, the mini has trouble getting to sleep. Sometimes it takes several tries to make it sleep and it always has a long delay before sleeping. Any ideas out there...???
kitm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: LaCie minihub 500gb firewire drive - noisy! Reply with quote

I purchased a Mini + 20" screen + LaCie 500gb drive + EyeTV just before Xmas. Delighted with the mini but having set it up in the living room as a media centre - with Cambridge Audio amp, Klipsch speakers and LCD TV - the LaCie mini drive has sent me and my wife crazy. When listening to music the drive whizes into life to record some TV soap for my wife and ruins the whole idea of a media centre.

I had reported my dissatisfaction just after Xmas but the suplier said the drive was still formatting and could take several weeks of use to quieten down. Long story - looked at alternatives (such as a high speed LAN to loft with ethernet drive) - and, after little notceable improvement, took the drive back to the supplier. He asked LaCie to inspect it and they replied that "it doesn't make any more noise than other minihubs".

Has anyone seen an agreement on what constitutes "ultra quiet" (LaCie product description) in terms of decibels?

I'll never buy another LaCie drive and will not trust suppliers who say they refuse to take equipment back just because the packaging has been opened!

I am very interested in setting up guidelines for setting up a media centre based on Apple Mini / HDMI etc.
obrien99

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm another dissatisfied owner of 500 GB version. The drive itself is good, but the noise is irritant.
looobell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi this might be a really silly question but can you hook up two macs to this device?

Thanks
mrdcmiller

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: My Lacie suks too! Reply with quote

Just bought the 500gb mini hub to go with my new mac mini and it sounds like hairdryer. It sits on a desk in air conditioned room. Even withthe mac min turned off the stupid fan runs.

I've sent an e-mail to LaCie but , after reading how others fared, I don't have high hopes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: