123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Intel not as stable as PPC...Doh..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bibamus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Intel not as stable as PPC...Doh.. Reply with quote

I had my PPC Mac Mini from its release till 2 months ago, when I bought a new 20" Imac.
I have the same applications on my new iMac; ilife 6, MS Office 2004, Adobe Creative Suite CS2, Toast 7, Starrynight Pro, Real, Google Earth and a couple more.
My PPC never crashed, no programs froze, I never turned it off, it always woke from sleep. Software always up to date.

My Intel iMac. Mail has "quit unexpectedly" 6 or 7 times. I have not been able to wake it up 3 times, it occasionally doesnt recognise the Apple BT Keyboard and mouse. Safari has "quit unexpectedly" 4 times. iPhoto has frozen twice, iTunes has frozen once........
Funnily enough, MS Office has behaved impeccably.
Is this progress?
Dont get me wrong, I love my iMac, but, it just seems a little too Windowesque to me now.

Allan
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is probably an underlying problem with your machine/OS. It shouldn't operate like that. You might have to look into it more and troubleshoot any differences/changes you have made. Or has it been like this out the box?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it could be because i just transferred all my old stuff straight into the new one.
I should really do a clean install then just add the stuff I want afterwards.
I used Bootcamp to install Win XP. If I reinstall OSX, can I keep my Win partition or will I lose it? Just backing up everything now....

Allan
jbstingray
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
MS Office 2004, Adobe Creative Suite CS2

That is your problem - those both are not Intel native - Adobe Photoshop eats up about 300mb of RAM when idle....

It is not so much a question of stability, more that you are overdoing it on the RAM.

-jb
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even overdoing it on RAM shouldn't cause things to crash. Slow down, yes. Slow to a crawl, yes. But things shouldn't crash.

I'd run some RAM tests to see if there's a funky stick of RAM in your machine. I like Rember to do my testing.
bibamus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is, it doesnt seem slow. I can run Adobe and Office applications fine, never had a problem with them and faster than my PPC, its just the bundled stuff with OSX.
I decided it would be best to do a clean install of OSX. I wouldnt have transferred all my stuff over from the Mini, but I thought it would save time. However, there is some stuff that I dont need anymore. And you cant beat a fresh install, at least I`ll see the new Mac video when it starts first time and I can just pretend I have a new Mac!!
Thanks guys
Allan
bibamus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I did a fresh install of OSX and did all the updates. Loaded in Adobe and Office 2004.....still getting the unexpected quits. This time System Preferences has quit, Word has quit, Safari has quit, Mail hasnt!! ( I havent run any Adobe programs yet)

I did the Apple hardware test ( quick and full) all passed, I then tried Rember to test the ram ( 1gb fitted from new) all passed ok.

Safari has quit 3 or four times today. After it quit first time, it wouldnt start again, then did so, but in a small window and I couldnt resize it. Then it quit again when I clicked on the blue Apple logo ( just checking the amount of ram recognised as I was reading Apple support pages.

Any suggestions here?

Allan
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 20" Intel iMac as well. I use iLife apps, Office 2004, Adobe Reader, Google Earth and Safari and I don't have any of these problems. I had occasional crashes in Word and Adobe Reader which I traced to a few menu enhancers I was using. One of them, Application Enhancer, was updated to include a Rosetta optimization process and since putting that on, I have not had a single crash. If you are using an menu enhancers (e.g., Fruitmenu, Default Folder, MaxMenus), you might want to remove them and see if the system becomes more stable. If so, download version 2.0.2 of Application Enhancer and then put back your menu enhancers. If this isn't the problem, I suggest you take your iMac to an Apple Store or any authorized service provider and get them to fix it.
bibamus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did another clean install then updated all the installed mac software, everything running perfectly.
Put back in all my backed up documents and photos by hand. Last time, I saved them using toast 7 and reinstalled them, using toast 7 restore feature.
Still going well.
Installed MS Office 2004, updated, still running fine.
Installed Toast7, still speeding along.
Installed Adobe PS CS2 Premium, still ok.
And its been ok for a whole day now, no unexpected quits at all.
I did notice however, that sometimes the dock takes a second or to to respond to the mouse when its been left for a while, I might change the default power setting to something more like I had before.
Anyway, the upshot is that it seems better. I have a feeling using Toast restore function messed it up, I did notice a few duplicated items around last time.

I`ll see how it goes, but thanks for all the suggestions and help.
Allan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: