123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anybody use Dynex accessories?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
splinesmith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Anybody use Dynex accessories? Reply with quote

I just got back from Best Buy, where I purchased a home theater docking unit for my new 80GB video iPod. What I bought was Best Buy's home brand of Dynex, which is made in China. I kept going back and forth between buying all Apple accessories, or going with the less expensive option. (Dock, remote, AC adaptor, plus all cables--for less than the Apple Universal Dock alone).

Now I'm afraid to open the package. Does anyone have experience with using these products? From the standpoint of functionality, it looks to be completely equivalent to the Apple products. I just don't want to find that the video quality gets degraded by inferior components. If anyone has any thoughts on this, pro or con, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks, John
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would give it a try. What do you have to loose? Best Buy has a decent return policy if the product doesn't live up to your expectations. I can tell you, the Apple dock isn't anything really special. The only in my mind that separates from some of these other docks is the Apple Remote. I just like the way it feels in my hand. I don't think will see big difference in the video quality or other features either. JMHO
splinesmith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Devo, I decided to take your advice. I took a deep breath, sliced the package open, hooked it up, and it seems to work fine! The s-video cord is a little wobbly...I will probably replace that with a better cord.

The one thing that puzzled me was that at first I thought the Dynex remote was not working. I was trying to use it to navigate through the iPod menus. But according to the instrux, it only pauses, plays, rewinds, ffs, and changes the volume of something that is playing (and can be used to go back and forth in slide shows). So I guess it is not designed to navigate the iPod menus. Upon doing some digging online, it appears that the Universal Dock and wireless Apple remote combo does the same thing--no iPod menu navigation. Is that right?

Too bad. It means I have to get off the couch and go change music videos. Oh, the Horror... Wink

So the dock appears to work as advertised. Score!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPods All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: