123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AMUG reviews 1.66GHz Mac mini
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: AMUG reviews 1.66GHz Mac mini Reply with quote

AMUG reviews 1.66GHz Mac mini
Friday, February 9, 2007
Posted by: Charles

The folks over at AMUG (Arizona Macintosh Users Group) have posted an excellent review of the 1.66GHz Mac mini. This review includes a lot of benchmarks, upgrading tips and insight. "The Apple Intel Mac mini 1.66 GHz provides a quiet computer with a small foot print and plenty of processor power. Upgrading the memory, hard drive, optical drive or adding external storage options can significantly increase the capability of this wonderful little computer. Hopefully, this Intel Mac mini article will help users discover some of the many upgrade options that are available for this awesome little computer," writes Michael Bean of the AMUG. The 1.66GHz Mac mini received a score of 4 AMUGs out of 5.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/603.html
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice review!
GCG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best reviews on the Mac Mini to date! Well written and very complete. Exclamation
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: H.264 vs AVI? Reply with quote

I'm guessing they meant "MPEG-4/mp3 .avi" vs "H.264/AAC .mp4" in their tests, since H.264 is a video CODEC and .avi is a wrapper format.

Still, very impressive numbers. I can't wait for Apple to upgrade the Mac mini so I can upgrade mine (currently G4/1.42GHz, 1GB RAM).
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the best reviews of the 1.66 MacMini I've read sofar and don't feel to much bothered if I have to abstain from a Core2Duo if there is no MacMini with Core2Duo coming soon! There were a couple of links about upgrading suggestions, even with the idea of inserting one 1GB with 256 which is better than 2 sticks of 512! So one can save up for a second bar of 1 GB later... The links about the notebook drives were also very enlightening!
I'll wait until the rumoured 20th of this month and if there is no new mini's coming, I'll probably opt for a 1.66 CoreDuo.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
I'll wait until the rumoured 20th of this month and if there is no new mini's coming, I'll probably opt for a 1.66 CoreDuo.

Given the price of OS X and iLife, I'll wait until the Mac mini update.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple computer sales have to be taking a hit right now. Everyone and their uncle is waiting for Leopard and iLife '07.

Oh yeah, nice review! Smile
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
James T Kirk wrote:

Did I mention "second hand"? Very Happy
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice review. It has me really anxious to buy one of these. But I'm still holding out for the upgrade. If it doesn't come on Feb. 20, I don't know if I'll hold out much longer.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Very nice review. It has me really anxious to buy one of these. But I'm still holding out for the upgrade. If it doesn't come on Feb. 20, I don't know if I'll hold out much longer.

Your feelings are soooo familiar! On top of that I already sold my G4 and working with the little PB connected to al my stuff...
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
Yvan256 wrote:

Did I mention "second hand"? Very Happy

Even with second-hand prices, I'd rather pay 680$CAD and get the upgraded Mac mini model, which will include Leopard and iLife '07.

Tiger is 150$CAD and iLife'06 is 90$CAD. That means I would pay the same price as a brand new Mac mini (probably upgraded too) unless it was under 440$CAD. The only thing I could find at that price would probably be the Mac mini G4/1.42GHz, which is the one I already have.

Also, that review not only makes it clear you can run the Mac mini without paired RAM (which I thought we couldn't do), it also shows the slowdown is marginal (and 1.25GB of 4% slower RAM is probably better than 512MB of RAM anyway).
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:

Even with second-hand prices, I'd rather pay 680$CAD and get the upgraded Mac mini model, which will include Leopard and iLife '07.

Tiger is 150$CAD and iLife'06 is 90$CAD. That means I would pay the same price as a brand new Mac mini (probably upgraded too) unless it was under 440$CAD. The only thing I could find at that price would probably be the Mac mini G4/1.42GHz, which is the one I already have.

Also, that review not only makes it clear you can run the Mac mini without paired RAM (which I thought we couldn't do), it also shows the slowdown is marginal (and 1.25GB of 4% slower RAM is probably better than 512MB of RAM anyway).

Yeah, I'd rather have a Core2Duo with faster ethernet, Leopard and iLife 07 too. The only thing is: Will it come indeed? I can buy a 7 month old 1.66 IntelMini, totally standard for € 475, while a new one will cost me € 617. Leopard will cost me € 129, don't know if I really need iLife 07. There is a pricedifference of € 144 and for that price I can buy me 2 GB of RAM. O.T.O.H it will not buy me Leopard+Ilive 07. When I have to wait until end of June however.... Sad
diulei

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good review...their web design could use a bit of work though. I made pages that looked like that around 98.
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diulei wrote:
Good review...their web design could use a bit of work though. I made pages that looked like that around 98.

Their site might be bland, but the content is awesome. At least they don't use WordPress. I'm so sick of looking at cookie cutter WordPress sites. Laughing
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WordPress is great, provided you use a decent theme. I view it more as a framework, not as a finished product. The problem is, the majority of the population sticks with the defaults. You see it all the time, default ringtones on phones, default settings on their computers, tec.

AMUG may be ugly, but they produce some of the best, well written reviews. I always enjoy them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: