123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LaCie Unveils Drive for Mac Mini [Updated]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 05 May 2005
Posts: 1303
Location: Providence, Rhode Island

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slickrick wrote:
Quote:
If you could find that person who was trying to colormatch the aluminum color with paint and find out the color you could use Bondo(I think this is the brand name) to fill in the logo and then paint over it.


That seems extreme! Just slap one of your Apple stickers over it! Laughing


But that's all of the fun! It was generic when you bought it, but then you mod it, and it becomes yours. This concept should make sense to Apple-folk who are pretty much always very possessive of their 'babies,' even unmodded.
_________________
Computer Engineer
Junior, Brown University
15" NC8430 HP Laptop
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2005
Posts: 5388
Location: Dunwoody, GA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest the logo really doesn't bother me that much. The article says the Apple store is carrying them. Has anyone found them on the online store?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 17 Mar 2005
Posts: 1453
Location: Oregon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how much input LaCie got from Apple to let the space for airflow in since they'll be selling it. It looks like my idea for using those 3M feet on the miniStack may have some validity.
_________________
My Setup
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Posts: 5985
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
If you could find that person who was trying to colormatch the aluminum color with paint and find out the color you could use Bondo(I think this is the brand name) to fill in the logo and then paint over it.


I was "that" person. Alclad II White Aluminum is the closest color match I found.
http://www.ehobbies.com/alc106.html

I don't have an airbrush system so I went with this
http://duplicolor.com/products/engine.html
DE 1615 Aluminum
It's not as close of a match as the Alclad, but I'm happy with the results.

Unless your a pro at this stuff you would be better off leaving it alone or having a pro do it for you.

Another thing to take into account is the reflective properties of metal vs. paint.

I just got my modem project finished today. I'll post pictures later.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 05 May 2005
Posts: 1303
Location: Providence, Rhode Island

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't they have paint that looks like metal? Don't they use that on cars sometimes and such? I could swear they do, but I think you know more about paint then I do.
_________________
Computer Engineer
Junior, Brown University
15" NC8430 HP Laptop
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Posts: 5985
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
Don't they have paint that looks like metal? Don't they use that on cars sometimes and such? I could swear they do, but I think you know more about paint then I do.


Yah dude, they do. If you find an exact match let me know this was the best I could do for $5.
http://homepage.mac.com/banditbill/Modem/PhotoAlbum26.html
I'd love to know the exact paint code to match. I'd do my entire office in it Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 05 May 2005
Posts: 1303
Location: Providence, Rhode Island

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Susurrus wrote:
Don't they have paint that looks like metal? Don't they use that on cars sometimes and such? I could swear they do, but I think you know more about paint then I do.


Yah dude, they do. If you find an exact match let me know this was the best I could do for $5.
http://homepage.mac.com/banditbill/Modem/PhotoAlbum26.html
I'd love to know the exact paint code to match. I'd do my entire office in it Wink


You think that the Home Depot would know,
what color without spending too much dough?
I live right nearby so tomorrow I could go,
So I could find out, unless it snows.
But either way, I'd weather it out,
It's always worth it, just to find out.
Too bad I don't ever know where to go in that store,
Because I'm barely there, frankly, it's a bore.
I'm more into hardware of the electrical kind,
You know? With solder? To help you unwind?

Okay, that's enough flow for me tonight....whoo.
_________________
Computer Engineer
Junior, Brown University
15" NC8430 HP Laptop
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Posts: 5985
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll continue this conversation on the aluminum color paint match thread as to not offend people looking for info on the LaCie drive.

I hate threads that go off topic and apologize.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 05 May 2005
Posts: 1303
Location: Providence, Rhode Island

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I'll continue this conversation on the aluminum color paint match thread as to not offend people looking for info on the LaCie drive.

I hate threads that go off topic and apologize.


In this case, ignore my little freestyle and check out his other thread here.
_________________
Computer Engineer
Junior, Brown University
15" NC8430 HP Laptop
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Posts: 5985
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you considering a miniStack, miniXxx or whatever else comes out this week. You may want to consider the companies producing these products.

LaCie has been around for a long time and will likely be around for many more years. They have been Macintosh focused (not entirely) and have always made quality products. If warranty and support become an issue you may be glad you went with LaCie.

The other thing is Apple will be endorsing this product through their webpage. That is another thing to consider as far as support goes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 17 Mar 2005
Posts: 1453
Location: Oregon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
For those of you considering a miniStack, miniXxx or whatever else comes out this week. You may want to consider the companies producing these products.

LaCie has been around for a long time and will likely be around for many more years. They have been Macintosh focused (not entirely) and have always made quality products. If warranty and support become an issue you may be glad you went with LaCie.

The other thing is Apple will be endorsing this product through their webpage. That is another thing to consider as far as support goes.


I totally agree. LaCie is a solid company with pretty good support. Read my above post about input from Apple. I would like to see some pictures of the back of the unit before placing an order. This looks like the one for me. I was thinking about the M9, but changed my mind today.
_________________
My Setup
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
anthonymoody
Member
Member


Joined: 07 Jul 2005
Posts: 68

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to have a LaCie product rather than, say, the minimate I ordered. However, no hub = no joy for me.

TM
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 2767
Location: Virginia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the PDF manual it looks like it gives you two extra USB or Firewire ports.

http://www.lacie.com/download/manuals/minidrive_fw_en.pdf
_________________
1.25GHz Mac Mini / 1.8GHz iMac G5 / 2.0GHz C2D Mac mini (2009)
4GB iPod mini / 2G iPod shuffle / 16GB iPhone 3G
Apple TV 2
iLife's a Bitch!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Posts: 5985
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
If you look at the PDF manual it looks like it gives you two extra USB or Firewire ports.

http://www.lacie.com/download/manuals/minidrive_fw_en.pdf


Can you be a little more specific where you're seeing this in the .pdf

The webpage says:
Interface : 2 x FireWire ports (6-pin)

but does that mean 1+2 free or 2 in total???
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 2767
Location: Virginia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:


Can you be a little more specific where you're seeing this in the .pdf

The webpage says:
Interface : 2 x FireWire ports (6-pin)

but does that mean 1+2 free or 2 in total???


I should have read the manual better "RTFM". I was in a hurry to pick my kids up from school. You are right, there are two ports total. The other thing that looks like a port in the illustration is the power switch. Page 11, step 4, points to it "Turn the drive on and off by using the On/Off switch".

My bad! Embarassed
_________________
1.25GHz Mac Mini / 1.8GHz iMac G5 / 2.0GHz C2D Mac mini (2009)
4GB iPod mini / 2G iPod shuffle / 16GB iPhone 3G
Apple TV 2
iLife's a Bitch!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



      

Shop:  Apple Store  |  Refurbished Macs  |  Refurbished iPads  |  MacConnection  |  Mac Mini Vault  |  Other World Computing

MK 1 Studio Mac mini Racks  |  Crucial Mac Memory  |  Top Free Mac Apps  |  Top Paid Mac Apps



123Macmini.com is an independent publication and has not been authorized, sponsored, or approved by Apple Computer, Inc.
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owners.
Copyright © 2011 123Macmini.com. All Rights Reserved.