123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NewerTech miniStack for Mac mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WolfieCA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldskoolboarder wrote:
WolfieCA wrote:
skoone wrote:
Hmmm... Interesting. My drive isn't powering down. Yep, the blue light on the front stays on after the Mini has been powered down but the drive is definitely still spinning. Something is very wrong here. Guess I'm going to have to troubleshoot this one a bit further.

The drive itself works fine with the Mini and the M9, in fact it does everything that it's supposed to except power the drive down. The hard drive is a WD 300 gig, picked it up at Sam's Club a few days ago.

Steve

Getting back to the point that Steve (skoone) made. I am having the same issue with the "smart" switch. My stack stays powered all the time. I even set the fan to "manual/high" to see if the light was just staying on, but the fan (and drive) kept running. I left it that way for an hour.

Talked to OWC tech support and they said that it shoud shut off (light and all) when the mini is shut down. Adam is going to run some tests on one there and get back to me. If anyone else has this problem, please call and let them know. They said that I was the first and only one to report this.

Rich

Who do we contact? I did a shut down but the LED stayed on. I didn't try to play w/ the power down too much.

I spoke with Adam at OWC. Give him a call. He also said the the light SHOULD shut off.

Rich
sylvere

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minimat ? ministrack ? No question Ministrack !!! i do have bought of them...
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sylvere wrote:
Minimat ? ministrack ? No question Ministrack !!! i do have bought of them...

I take it the heat problems aren't a problem for you?
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
anthonymoody

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich[/quote]I spoke with Adam at OWC. Give him a call. He also said the the light SHOULD shut off.Rich[/quote]

Not trying to be argumentative but IIRC in one of the early writeups the light was described as a status light - that it'd stay on even when the drive was powered down.

TM
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthonymoody wrote:
WolfieCA wrote:
I spoke with Adam at OWC. Give him a call. He also said the the light SHOULD shut off.

Rich

Not trying to be argumentative but IIRC in one of the early writeups the light was described as a status light - that it'd stay on even when the drive was powered down.

TM

I think that all status lights should blink, breathe, or whatever as long as they aren't always on. It's dumb that a status light can't actually tell you the status of the product because it's just always on. We need to move away from this binary system of on/off and go to on/off/blink or something similar. That's what causes headaches like this, well, besides the products not working like they should.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
anthonymoody

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW I got mine in the mail today, a 400GB version. Used the Disc Util to partition it to 100/300. Am using superduper now to copy everything to the 100 gig partition which I intend to use as my boot and main drive. Will use the 300 gig partition as a scratch drive for video editing, and the internal drive as a back up drive for the boot volume.

Anyway, during the superduper copy the fan came on - it sounds like a model airplane propeller! Crying or Very sad Hopefully once it cools down it won't come on so frequently (in fairness, the drive has been spinning non stop for 45+ minutes so far. Obviously that's not 'normal' usage by any stretch. But man - that fan is buzzy!

TM
anthonymoody

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm having the same problem a few of you have reported: the fan stays on even after I power down the mini. Not sure if the drive is spinning too at that point - can't hear it over the buzzy fan!!

I'm on hold now for Adam at OWC...

TM
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Smart Power feature sounds like its turning out to be real dumb. If you turn the power switch off will the fan keep running?
sylvere

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smart Power feature work great to me, HD go in bed at the time to the Mac Mini and couple minutes after the fan also.
You can power off the enclosure if went it to stop right away...

I'm using mini like a second machine, so the fan is not a problem for me, also the heat like a lot of people speak about don't make me scare because of the automatique fan in the enclosure and in the Mac Mini ... what the tempretaure of the mini when the Externel HD drive running for you ?
anthonymoody

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW my xbench scores are way better now booting off this thing and the machine definitely feels more responsive, esp little things like changing the date in an appointment in Calendar for example.

Anyway, turning the thing OFF does make the fan stop (of course!) but turning it back on makes the fan come right back on.

I called OWC and spoke to Josh (btw according to Josh there is no one named Adam who works there!) and he said:
-the light stays on all the time whether the mini is on or off
-the drive AND the fan should spin down when the mini is off

I'm going to shut down now and see if the fan will ultimately spin down - if it hasn't by tomorrow morning then it's going back...

TM
sylvere

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the mac mini sleep , the hd from the enclosure also only the fan work for 10 mns more minute and stop .

When the mini mac wake up , the External HD keep sleeping until i click on the external icon on the destop and the fan active after 10 mns the Externel HD is active...

But i don 't fell my HD so hot like a lot of people say... my external HD is a Hitachi maybbe it's depend of the HD ?

Could be nice to valut temperature of the mac mini before running the EXternal HD and after runnig it.. i can only do it on next week..with this sofware Temperature Monitor
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind that the LED light stays on after shutdown. The issue that bothers me is the fan staying on after you shutdown. How long will it stay on? Minutes, hours, days? Confused
sylvere

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fan shut down after 1O mns when the HD of the minstark sleep... i think nobody understand me when i write english... i should get back to my english book today, now
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sylvere wrote:
the fan shut down after 1O mns when the HD of the minstark sleep... i think nobody understand me when i write english... i should get back to my english book today, now

Where you from again? So 10 minutes after the hard drive goes to sleep the fan goes off? I think that's what he's saying, Devo.

I'm sure that it also depends on the hard drive, just due to how the hard drive handles sleep, the Mini handles the hard drive, and how much heat the hard drive produces.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
sylvere

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's not bad when i say that, really , see people already think bad of me Wink i think sometime people don't understand me because of my bad vocubalary, yes, in english, i feel stupide because i can't relly exprime myself like i do in my language , speacialy whith woman!!! Wink , i like your icon , it's really represent where i from.

Yes 10 mns after the hd goes off the fan stop with my Hitachi HD in..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: