123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How does Photoshop CS run on the mini?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
obewan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: How does Photoshop CS run on the mini? Reply with quote

How does Photoshop/CS perform on the mini? I bet it's slow.
numediaman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Adobe CS on a 500 MGhz PowerBook with 384 RAM -- and I'm fine. I use Photoshop, Acrobat and Go Live every day.

So, I guess the question would be this: why would it be slower on a 1.42GHz mini with 512 RAM?

I wouldn't worry about it unless you do graphic design for a living -- in which case, the only computer you should consider is a dual G5 PowerMac (which I plan to buy in a year or two).
obewan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

I really want to get back into digital photography and work with Photoshop and now that I'm a new father more than ever! I'm having a hard time deciding what mac to buy. I'm leaning towards the new iMac but I hate AIO computers. It's about time to trade up from this old sage green iMac. Smile but don't want to break my wallet.
andp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should upgrade the memory to at least 512mb ram and if you're going to work with RAW pictures 1GB ram. If you choose the Imac do the same.
numediaman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photoshop is really not that intensive a program. A typical photo on a 3 megapixel camera, for instance, is less than 1 meg. Adding layers, filters and the like, the file would only get to about 18-20 megs in size when working with it. Even the least equiped Mac can handle that.

For years I worked in Photoshop on an PM8600 with 256 RAM and had no problems at all. Filters ran slow, but that's it. Since Photoshop lets you zap the stored memory (history) you can do a lot of things to a photo without running into problems.

Video encoding, on the other hand . . .
obewan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's Numediaman....I ordered a Mac mini 1.42mhz/80gb/512mb/Superdrive this morning!
obewan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photoshop Elements 3.0 on the Mac. Does anyone own it out there? I really wanted to buy Photoshop CS but cannot afford it at the present time. I just ordered my mini and new display and have a young family so money is kind of tight right now. Would Photoshop Elements be a good foot in the door or should I save up for CS?
numediaman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as it happens I have Elements, as well. In fact, I have Photoshop 5.5 in my Classics folder, as well as Elements and Photoshop CS in my OSX folder.

There is actually surprisingly little difference between Elements and Photoshop. But there are two things Photoshop gives you that I find essential for my work: guide lines and text leading tools.

If you have not worked with Photoshop before, Elements will probably be fine. I got my version free when it came with my scanner software.

I think Photoshop (and Elements), along with Acrobat, are my two favorite programs -- very stable, well written, and not memory hogs (of course, if you are working with large photos, the photos themselves will use large amounts of memory.
andy80

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

numediaman wrote:

There is actually surprisingly little difference between Elements and Photoshop. But there are two things Photoshop gives you that I find essential for my work: guide lines and text leading tools.

If you have not worked with Photoshop before, Elements will probably be fine. I got my version free when it came with my scanner software.

Hey First post here.

I agree with numediaman. I have Elements 2.0 and would highly recommend the Adobe Elements series to anyone who is looking to get their feet wet with Photoshop. Elements 3.0 has added some nice new features such as camera raw and 16-bit support. I'll probably upgrade to 3.0 soon myself.

link
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelmac/newfeatures.html#nf4

Good Luck!
obewan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Newmediaman and Andy80 for the input. You can get Elements 3 for like 78 bucks on Amazon. They even have a nice looking rebate for those looking to upgrade "Andy80". I think this is the way I'm going to go to start out. Now I just need my mini to come!
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obewan wrote:
Thank you Newmediaman and Andy80 for the input. You can get Elements 3 for like 78 bucks on Amazon. They even have a nice looking rebate for those looking to upgrade "Andy80". I think this is the way I'm going to go to start out. Now I just need my mini to come!

Don't disregard free tools as well. I would highly recommend people take a look at Gimp before purchasing Photoshop...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:

Don't disregard free tools as well. I would highly recommend people take a look at Gimp before purchasing Photoshop...

You read my mind and beat me to the punch! Gimp is a nice alternative and it's free!
n2o2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:

Macgimp is not free, http://gimp-app.sourceforge.net is... Wink
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

n2o2 wrote:
Macgimp is not free, http://gimp-app.sourceforge.net is... Wink

You are right. I assumed it was...my bad.

Another good reason to check out the DarwinPorts project. Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own Photoshop Elements 3.0 and would recommend it. I really don't care much for GIMP even though it's free.
iLife's a Bitch!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: