123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AirPort Extreme Disassembly Guide and Benchmarks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: AirPort Extreme Disassembly Guide and Benchmarks Reply with quote

AirPort Extreme Disassembly Guide and Benchmarks
Tuesday, February 6, 2007
Posted by: Glenn

iFixit has posted a disassembly guide and benchmarks for the new 802.11n AirPort Extreme base station. According to Kyle from iFixit, "The new base station is amazing. We achieved a 10x performance boost, and a 3x usable range increase! Long range testing was equally impressive. At 300 feet (with a building in the way), we reached transfer rates of 500 KB/s." Mac mini enthusiasts will also find the method of opening the base station of interest. To open the base station, you must peel off a rubber pad on the bottom. This pad is somewhat similar to the one used on the bottom of the Mac mini. Once the pad is removed, you can access the inside of the base station by removing a plastic cover that is attached with five Phillips #0 screws. I kind of wish Apple would bring a design like this over to the Mac mini. It would probably make accessing the inside of the computer a little easier for the average user. What do you think?

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/601.html
velocitytrap

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another review:

Apple AirPort Extreme Review @ Digital Trends

Apple's recently-released AirPort Extreme Base Station represents a thorough overhaul and re-packaging of the previous AirPort Extreme model. The new model is packed with enhanced features, a better set-up and management interface and of course, higher rated transfer speeds thanks to the new (and still incomplete) 802.11n protocol. Like most Apple products, the performance boost is being highly promoted. Does the AirPort Extreme stand up to the hype as well as other Apple products do? Continue reading to find out.

http://reviews.digitaltrends.com/review4331.html
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: AirPort Extreme Disassembly Guide and Benchmarks Reply with quote

admin wrote:
What do you think?

I would prefer screws, thumbscrews, or little latches for opening and closing.
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read into the AirPort Extreme that much, but can you connect a hub to the USB port and run an external drive and printer off it at the same time? I would be interested in doing this. To be honest, it's the only reason I could justify spending over $175 on a router these days.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: AirPort Extreme Disassembly Guide and Benchmarks Reply with quote

scooper wrote:
admin wrote:
What do you think?

I would prefer screws, thumbscrews, or little latches for opening and closing.
Personally I like it the way it is. I think if you were to peel off the bottom too much, it might not stick anymore. Plus I like the unique way of opening the unit, it is "different". Not only that, but I also have two putty knives for opening the little device.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aquaman wrote:
I haven't read into the AirPort Extreme that much, but can you connect a hub to the USB port and run an external drive and printer off it at the same time? I would be interested in doing this. To be honest, it's the only reason I could justify spending over $175 on a router these days.

Apple says it can be done. Read the last paragraph of this page.

http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/sharing.html
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: AirPort Extreme Disassembly Guide and Benchmarks Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
I think if you were to peel off the bottom too much, it might not stick anymore.

I was thinking the same thing. I guess there are other ways they could attach the rubber base. The thing is, most people that open their Mac mini are only doing it for memory upgrades. I think Apple should make a separate door (like most laptops have) on the bottom for getting to the slots. The case wouldn't even need to be opened then. Of course, this means they would need to redesign the motherboard too. It's cool to see how the AirPort Extreme opens though. I hope the Apple TV can be opened in the same matter. I'll pop mine open and try to clone the drive to a 80GB or 120GB drive, and then replace it.
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:

Apple says it can be done. Read the last paragraph of this page.

http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/sharing.html

Embarassed Told you I didn't look into it much. That is good news, but I still don't know if it justifies the price tag. Plus, I really only have one computer (MacBook) that is compatible with the 802.11n standard.
imfullofit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really nervous when I got my first airport express base station and I got it refirbished for $100. I was thinking man a hundred bucks for this little white box. Now that I have had it for a few years and have used it in multiple ways I would happily pay for one of these new airports. Things are just really easy to set up and I don't dread configuration changes. I was also thinking that most people wont even have a computer with an N card in it for 1-3 years unless they are the kind of people who rush out an upgrade every year. If thats the case they have plenty of money to burn so who cares anyway right. So by the time I really need one the price will have gone down a little.

www.julianvandercook.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: