123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying Vista this week?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Buying Vista this week?
Yes
20%
 20%  [ 7 ]
No
79%
 79%  [ 27 ]
Total Votes : 34

fuji257

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put Vista (got if free) on my mac mini just to tinker with. We're supposed to familiarize with it for work.

It ran at least 20% slower than XP and had no advantages as far as I could see. Lots of new annoyances and many things located in different places for no logical reason. The start menu is better I suppose (should've been done in '96 not '07). If your into useless eye candy that requires 3x the video hardware that it should you may say "wow cool" about a full ten minutes before the novelty wears off . . .

For the life of me I can't imagine anyone wanting to pay real money for this unless they just think they'll be cool cause they got the newest toys first.

For the record, I don't see any compelling (new) features that'll make me rush right out and buy leopard either.
Macuser9214

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DITTO!

So far, what I can see, I won't be buying leopard right away.

I don't video-chat, so iChat is no use to me on there, with its new video stuff.

And i'm not buying a computer soon, so the Core Image effects that are coming with it are no good for me and my PPC mini.

and time machine uses an external source like a firewire/network drive.. No good there.

Spaces can be achieved by using Virtue desktop for free.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuji257 wrote:
If your into useless eye candy that requires 3x the video hardware that it should you may say "wow cool" about a full ten minutes before the novelty wears off . . .

"Wow" is like their entire marketing campaign. Very Happy

fuji257 wrote:
For the record, I don't see any compelling (new) features that'll make me rush right out and buy leopard either.

I'm praying that Apple is holding back a lot of stuff.

devo wrote:
I'm one of those people that think it's a good idea to be familiar with different operating systems.

I suppose that describes me as well. I'm not really an Apple or MS fanboy. I just like playing with and understanding new technology. It also helps out when you need to interact between the two operating systems.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
macinabox

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hands down here.

I just don't get it, all the so called 'new' features in Vista already exist in Tiger and then some.

Why pay for a new OS that you will require you to pay for more hardware to use it properly and then.... oh.. yea it's Microsoft. Rolling Eyes
jfohl3r

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to wait at least a year before I play with Vista. I downloaded RC1 several months ago, and couldn't believe how slow it was on my laptop. Granted, my laptop is two years old (1.8 ghz Sempron, 1 gb RAM, and a ATI Radeon Mobile 200m (128 mb shared)), but the Aero interface just used t oo much resources. Windows XP is fast and works a lot better in my opinion.

I'll wait until I get a system that can handle it without any problems. Somehow I doubt my Mini would handle it well.
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a new PeaCee last month for a course my wife is taking online that is not Mac friendly. She doesn't want to use BootCamp on the MacPro, (fear of viruses, etc., and since they can't be sure if Parallels is supported, same issues with viruses.) I will be receiving an upgrade to Vista Business in the mail sometime in the future....... (in a galaxy, far, far away.... you know the story..) whenever they decide to ship. May try it on the mini under Parallels.
AppleTVII
16GB iPod Touch 32Gb iPhone
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw Vista at Best Buy today. Nothing special at all, it does not compare at all to Mac OS X.

My friend got it tuesday so he can run it with BootCamp on his 20" iMac, and it works great for that (game use).

If I were a gamer, which i'm not, that would be the only reason I would really put it on my mac.
Futa_Mill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't yet seen just a normal vista yet just upgrades cause i dont want to buy xp to use vista.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Futa_Mill wrote:
I haven't yet seen just a normal vista yet just upgrades cause i dont want to buy xp to use vista.

Newegg.com has the OEM Basic edition for $95, the Premium Home edition for $120, and the Ultimate Home edition for $200.

Way too expensive for me, considering I only booted into XP on my Mini (with Bootcamp) once since I installed it, and that was to make sure it worked.
ArsenicPants

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

went to Best Buy today too, the entire store was dressed up to endorse Vista, with POP's and banners everywhere, made me a little uneasy

the one good thing i can say about Vista is their packaging is decent, you can tell they're taking a lot from the Ipod Shuffle and Nano packaging though
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArsenicPants wrote:
went to Best Buy today too, the entire store was dressed up to endorse Vista, with POP's and banners everywhere, made me a little uneasy

the one good thing i can say about Vista is their packaging is decent, you can tell they're taking a lot from the Ipod Shuffle and Nano packaging though

That's what I thought too. Is that a Nano?...ohh...that's a Microsoft product.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: