123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini-friendly Games List...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JediTimmy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just tried the Imperial Glory demo and it runs pretty bad on my Mini Solo with 512MB of RAM.

But changing the Graphical settings didn't effect the performance so I don't think the bad performance is because of the GMA 950.

So if you've got a mini or macbook with core duo CPU and 1GB of RAM it should run well since the game is CPU intensive.

PS3 60GB owner.

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that can resist stupid fads, copy and paste this into your sig.
Heyfrito

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooh, that looks like a pretty cool game. Might have to check that one out.
macmini_256PPC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always wondering why apple decided to not have a graphics card on the intel mini. Also, I was curious as to if games work better on the PPC mac mini, than the Intel one.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmini_256PPC wrote:
I was always wondering why apple decided to not have a graphics card on the intel mini. Also, I was curious as to if games work better on the PPC mac mini, than the Intel one.

It's a lot cheaper, smaller, and power efficient to use an integrated graphics setup than a dedicated one.

Games that are Universal Binary will probably run better on the Intel Mini even though it has an integrated card, simply because the processor and RAM are so much faster than the PPC Mini.

However, games that are not UB, and are for PPC machines will probably run better on the PPC Mini because the massive overhead of Rosetta won't be there.
VictorDTarsus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Lugaru for either Mac, Linux or Windows. This has got to be the most freak'n fun action/furry styled game ever made in the shareware world and it plays like a dream on my Mac Mini, so check 'er out dudes.

You can download the game from here, http://wolfire.com/lugaru.html
Do2xplode

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now thats some good ole UFC rabbit beat down!
Sweet game...nice diggin!javascript:emoticon('Laughing')
VictorDTarsus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do2xplode wrote:
Now thats some good ole UFC rabbit beat down!
Sweet game...nice diggin!javascript:emoticon('Laughing')

In the challenge mode, level 4 used to kick my ass when I first started to play the game. That was until I got mad skills with the knife, sword and staff. Level for those of you who have not played the game is in a desert with several platforms where three rabbits and wolf patrol around them. The first rabbit is an easy kill, I just threw the knife into his back when he was unaware of my presence. I pulled out my knife, holstered it and took his knife. I then follow the outskirts of the platforms to attempt a knife throw into the rabbit with the sword. I missed completely, but managed to disarm the sword from his grasp. He jumped away but this move was in vane for him because I slashed his back open with the sword as he tried to escape my attack. I dropped the sword and walked over to the rabbit with the staff. I disarmed that sucker and gave him a beat down when I tripped him after disarming him. I ran right into the face of the wolf and took a lucky high swing with the staff and pow, beaned him to the side of his head. He went flying and died upon impacting the wall that was to his left. I got some sweet points for that round because I earned a Flawless award for not getting hurt from the 4 enemies in the level.

This game was sure worth the money, so buy it! Its awesome!
ArsenicPants

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried sims 2 today on my 2 gig/1.83ghz machine, and it was completely unplayable, even at the very lowest settings
it was one of things where you'd click the 'quit' button, and 5 minutes later it would finally respond and ask you if you'd REALLY like to quit, at which point you'd be mashing the keyboard repeatedly
Do2xplode

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer news about Sims 2. Have you tried quitting all program all unessential running programs to include widgets and then running it. Theirs an intel website on the mini graphics card that has a list of compatible and non-compatible games. That might help future game mishaps..
I couldn't believe that Prey (demo) ran smooth on my 1.83/1GB.
VictorDTarsus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArsenicPants wrote:
i tried sims 2 today on my 2 gig/1.83ghz machine, and it was completely unplayable, even at the very lowest settings
it was one of things where you'd click the 'quit' button, and 5 minutes later it would finally respond and ask you if you'd REALLY like to quit, at which point you'd be mashing the keyboard repeatedly

Its games that either take a a long time to load or take their sweet time to quit that I hate. I really recommend however, Rise of Nations for Mac. Its pretty good for a MacSoft ported Microsoft Games Studio game.

Do2xplode wrote:

I couldn't believe that Prey (demo) ran smooth on my 1.83/1GB.

Are you serious!? It worked on Mac Mini? Sweet, Prey has got to be one of the coolest FPSs of 2006, not to mention innovative and completely awesome! I really needs to get me 2GB of ram and it could be playable on my 1.66GHz CORE DUO Mini.
Heyfrito

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homeworld 2 ran without a hitch on my mini 1.66ghz 2gig
VictorDTarsus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a real cool game which is not only available for Mac OS X users, but for PCs and Linux systems.

OpenArena is an open source clone of Quake III Arena. OpenArena of course is built on the Quake III Engine which has been made open source by iD Software themselves. OpenArena unlike all the MODs out there for the retail version of QIIIA is a stand alone game. Complete with new graphics, skins, sounds, weapons and levels.

To run OpenArena 0.6 on a Mac, you need to download the Linux version of the game and download the simple ioQuake3 application provided in http://openarena.ws downloads section. Move the ioQuake3 app into the Linux install folder and launch ioQuake3 to run the Linux version natively under OS X.

Seeing as this game is cross-platform, playing on the Internet or via LAN can allow Mac, PC and Linux users to play each other regardless of computer hardware differences.
myminirocks

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time try at gaming on a mac, or any gaming really so this might be a realy silly question but 'how' is everyone playing these games, ie, via keyboard and mouse or one of those xbox looking controllers that plug into USB?

I use my mini as a dedicated HTPC so do not have a keyboard or mouse attached and like the idea of this: http://www.madcatz.com/Default.asp?Page=263&CategoryImg=PC_and_Mac_Controllers

Has anyone used it?

Really all I want is a decent multiplayer game like UT so if a few mates come round we can play against each other for a bit to blow some steam.

Halo seems to be a popular recommendation, is there a multiplayer (ie against each other) option with Halo?

Also, is anyone launching their games with the apple remote? I want to preserve the HTPC simplicity of the mini so need to be able to launch into the game without using keyboard/mouse.

Any input would be appreciated
Elgato EyeTV Diversity
16G iPhone 3G
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually you can run doom 3 on a mac mini just make sure you turn of shadow effects antianalising and all the other junk.
Heyfrito

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually my short list of games that work fine for me.

System specs:
Intel Core DUO
OS 10.4
Processor: 1.66 GHz
Memory: 2 GB

SIMS 2 : I've heard mixed results on this and was surprised that there was a bad review from someone with a more powerful system than I have. But on my computer it plays fine. It does bog down if you have a lot on the screen. But with 4 or so sims on the screen and a moderate sized house it runs okay with occasional hiccups. I wouldn't say don't buy it to someone who is interested but be aware that it may not run smoothly the further into the game you get. If you are going to build up to a huge mansion or a large family, then you might want to think twice before purchase but for a moderate sized home with a couple and two children plus a couple of friends, it may be okay.

HOMEWORLD 2 : Completely smooth. Fun strategy game too. No problems at all, heartily recommend.

AGE OF EMPIRES 3 : Runs fluidly without a hitch. I haven't played too much so I don't know if it gets slower if you have a huge empire but I haven't even had even a tiny hiccup after playing a few different games for an hour or two at a pop.

THE MOVIES : Contrary to what the Feral Interactive company site may tell you with it's system evaluation of your computer, I haven't had any problems with this game whatsoever. I've played it for a while too. Completely smooth.

SIMCITY 4 : Plays fine but I did kind of lose interest after a while so can't speak to if you have megalopolis of a city. But from my experience it's been no problem at least at the beginning and a couple of hours into a game.[/b]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Gaming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: