123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AMD's aquisition of ATI bad for Mac users?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think AMD should have bought ATI?
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 4 ]
No
50%
 50%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 8

offa_broadway

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: AMD's aquisition of ATI bad for Mac users? Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, has anyone seen, heard, or thought about the repercussions of AMD's purchase of ATI? My thoughts at least have been that AMD is Intel's direct competitor, and with that in mind, will Macs be offering a competitor's graphics solutions in Intel based machines? Or will Intel have enough say in the matter to steer Apple in a solely Nvidia/Intel direction?

MacBook Core2Duo 2.0/1Gb Superdrive
MacMini CoreDuo 1.66/Superdrive - Sold
Logitech Z4-i Sound System
iPod Nano 1Gb, Black
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: AMD's aquisition of ATI bad for Mac users? Reply with quote

offa_broadway wrote:
Or will Intel have enough say in the matter to steer Apple in a solely Nvidia/Intel direction?

I think that's the way it will go. I see Apple going with more Nvidia cards in the future.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was a good idea. As that they can share ideas and technology between each other. Which should lead to some interesting products.

Plus it has had an interesting effect in the graphics industry. As you can now see Intel might be forming its own graphics unit. Supposedly the unit will be there to develop higher-end GPUs to compete directly with not only AMD/ATI, but Nvidia as well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Nvidia graphics chip on my mac, but i've heard that ATI chips are better. Is there any difference between the two?
- iPod Touch 8GB

Visit www.thebigapples.net Very Happy Podcasts, Videos & more Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: