123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should i upgrade from the mini to MBP?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmcc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Should i upgrade from the mini to MBP? Reply with quote

Ok i have a 1.5ghz ppc mac mini, 1gb ram, superdrive. But how much quicker (if any) would the new Macbook pro be compared to my mini?

The MBP i am concidering is the 2.16ghz Core 2 duo, 2gb ram. Would this handle photoshop and dreamweaver better? as when i am using photoshop heavily on the mini it seems to struggle a bit.
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will see some increase in speed, but since PhotoShop is running under Rosetta it won't be that much faster than your current mini. Other applications will be different though.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My situation might prove to be helpful.

I have a 1.83GHz Core Duo MacBook Pro, and a 1.83Ghz Core Duo Mac Mini. Normally they have different amounts of RAM, but while my MBP is in the shop (Superdrive problem), I'm using my Mac Mini with 2GB, just as I use my MBP.

A large portion of my work is in the Adobe CS2 suite, primarily Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. I also use Word and Excel a bit here and there. Comparing the two very similar machines, their speed is nearly identical. The only real difference I can tell is hard drive based. The Mini has a 5400rpm drive, whereas my MBP has a 4200rpm drive. Loading Photoshop for example is a hair faster, but opening a large document feels about 10% faster. Hardly percepitble, but certainly there.

Beyond that, I also play a few games, and that's where the dedicated graphics of the MBP's x1600 makes a huge difference over the Mac Mini's integrated setup.

As for your situation, you're comparing a Core Duo to a Core 2 Duo. I have used a C2D iMac at school using the CS2 suite, and it is also faster than my two machines. I would say it's significant, but not huge. Maybe 15 to 20% faster on some operations. A large part of that speed bump is also from the 3.5" 7200rpm drive that the iMac uses.

From what I have experienced, for CS2 use, the most important variable is RAM. 2GB makes a big difference over 1GB and especially over 512MB. Secondly, the processor makes a nice difference. A 1.83GHz Core Duo is much quicker than my Mini's stock 1.5GHz Core Solo, and the 2.16Ghz Core 2 Duo I've used at school beats out both. Finally, hard drive speed and graphics processor plays a small part, depending on what you're doing.
computergeek7889

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Of Course Reply with quote

You will notice a difference. Rosetta runs faster with more memory so 2GB will help it, and the new Intel C2D will help a considerable amount, and the dedicated graphics will help if you do any video editing, or gaming.
pmcc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys! Looks like i may take the plunge and just get the MBP Very Happy
sp468732

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, when you upgrade to CS3 (if you chose to do so) that will be much faster on the Macbook Pro. You will be much more "future ready" with that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: