123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Initial Set-Up Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tjm549 wrote:
Tell me about it, have you ever seen all the crap that comes pre-loaded on a Dell or HP computer. It takes you three weeks to clean out msconfig alone. There are really only two reasons I clean installed my mini. One Habit and two personal testing its kind of a hobby. There really is no reason to clean-install for the average user with OSX.

I know I will be reinstalling my Mini when I get it simply because I will need to repartition it so that I can dual-boot with OSX and Gentoo Linux...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
numediaman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tjm549 wrote:
bubba

There really is no reason to clean-install for the average user with OSX.

Famous last words if I've ever heard 'em!
bubba

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, Carbon Copy Cloning my Mini from my old Powerbook's installation image (about 20 days old) went fairly smooth. The only issue was that the audio output device didn't show up. I upgraded from 10.3.7 to 10.3.8 and it appeared as it should. I also had to remove the battery icon from the menu bar since the option to remove it doesn't appear in Energy Saver when there is no battery (its in ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systemuiserver.plist).

Just tried burning a CD from an ISO on an external firewire drive and got a buffer underrun. Never got one of these before. I was using Toast 6.0.7. Oh well, back to linux to burn it at 52x instead of a measly 16x anyways. Sad

Brian
bubba

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

numediaman wrote:
Definitely, do clean installs.

I'm sorry to report that every day seems to bring out issues. Today it is CD burning: I can burn data from my external HD to my external burners (both DVD & CD) at max speed -- but I can't burn to my internal burner using data stored on my external HD (I get "buffer underrun" errors). This is true even though the internal drive is burning at a much slower speed than the external burner.

But, I can burn using the internal drive if the data is stored on the internal HD.

I would say that the issue concerns the external HD except that, as I said, I don't have this problem when burning external HD to external burner.

My set up is exactly the same as it was with my PB -- the only switch is the mini for the PB.

Were you using the disk utility to burn or Toast? I'm having the same problem w/ Toast 6.0.7.
numediaman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using Toast.

Toast is working perfectly on the LaCie burners under every possible scenario, and it works fine with the internal burner when burning from data stored on the internal HD -- it's only issue is with the external data > internal burner scenario.

To be honest, I haven't tried burning from the disk utility -- and I might add that I find this to be a minor problem since I have so many other options (I not only have an external LaCie CD burner, but a LaCie DVD burner, as well -- giving me three options.)

My biggest concern is video. My work around is that I store all the video on my external drive and before starting a new iDVD project, I bring it onto the internal. This isn't necessary when using Toast -- but iDVD gives you better menu options. I'm glad I chose the 80 gig HD option, though!
bubba

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I burned a cd from an external drive this morning using Disk Utility with no issues.
numediaman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you did. If this was happening every time I think there would be a real uproar!

In fact, I don't think the issue would involve Disk Utility --do you have Toast? A guy on the Apple support pages just started a thread because he can't burn a CD from a disk image when it is stored on his external drive -- a variation of what I have encountered. I couldn't burn an audio disk from files on the external -- and iDVD crashed right at the burn stage when it was working from a movie stored on the external.

I believe this "communication" issue is spotty. For instance, Photoshop will crash on me when I try and use my scanner. It has happened a half dozen times -- but it doesn't happen all the time -- in fact, probably one in ten, or less. Loss of communication with my printer has only happened once -- but I believe someone started a thread concerning this on the Apple site.
bubba

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, there are lots of topics on the Apple forums now...

iDVD issues: http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?13@434.aflbaXB7QMT.300289@.68a6008f/14

CD Burning issues: http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?13@434.aflbaXB7QMT.300289@.68a6cd0f/0

Toast issues (mine): http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?13@434.aflbaXB7QMT.300289@.68a6fd6e/2

Display issues (mine): http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@434.aflbaXB7QMT.301878@.68a6fefe

Apple is saying Warranty Repair, but I'm not letting them touch my machine considering how new these things are. Guess I'll just grin and bear it for awhile... Thats what you get when you buy 1st rev Apple products.

NOTE: These should really be going under troubleshooting so people will be aware of the issues they may encounter.
numediaman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree -- be patient and see how things develop.

What I find incredibly discouraging, however, is the attitude of people over at the Apple discussion area. If someone hasn't experienced the issues you describe they either say the errors are caused by you or you have a bad computer -- there is absolutely never any real discussion of the possible causes and solutions. I've posted my last post there!
bubba

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more with your comment about the unuselfulness of the Apple forums.

I'm hoping Apple will bite the bullet and recognize the problems.
minime

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the Mac mini's support page on Apple's site to be crappy. I hate to say it but Apple needs to take a few hints from Dell. The discussion section on there is also a giant mess. All that being said I still love them and my mini is on the way! Smile
bubba

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minime wrote:
I hate to say it but Apple needs to take a few hints from Dell.

Outsource their tech support to India and institute 1 hour hold times?
minime

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
minime wrote:
I hate to say it but Apple needs to take a few hints from Dell.

Outsource their tech support to India and institute 1 hour hold times?

LOL not that part. I'm talking about the way Dell's support pages are set up on their website. I actually think they do a good job on them. The rest of Dell stinks!
bubba

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
I burned a cd from an external drive this morning using Disk Utility with no issues.

Using SwitchResX I was able to get the green lines off the video when using DVI. I had to bump my frequency down to 1280x1024 @ 57hz. It is now crystal clear an no lines during DVD play.

I was able to burn a DVD at 2x (only media I had) on the internal SuperDrive from an external hard drive with no issues with Toast 6.0.9 (just upgraded today). Also, burning a CD at 16x where the image resided on an external firewire drive worked as well.

Brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: