123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying Vista this week?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Buying Vista this week?
Yes
20%
 20%  [ 7 ]
No
79%
 79%  [ 27 ]
Total Votes : 34

blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Buying Vista this week? Reply with quote

All right, show of hands: Who's buying a copy of Vista for their Mac or PC this week? I'll probably pick up an OEM copy on Newegg for my Mac mini. I'm still confused about which one to buy though. Wink
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not. I'm going keep my mac mini with Mac OS X only. Unless something really cool makes me change my mind. Why are there so many freakin' version of Vista anyways?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be too busy reading the news articles about its failure. I've already read a good one the was in y local paper. It took the reported 12 hours to get it installed and running properly and he has computer experience.

I quite enjoyed it Smile
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen how much they have tried to copy Tiger too? It's almost funny it's so bad. They are trying to have some sort of expose and dashboard, but it looks really bad. I wish they would at least try to come up with their own ideas.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyPod wrote:
Why are there so many freakin' version of Vista anyways?

Up-selling.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Buying Vista this week? Reply with quote

blazer wrote:
All right, show of hands:
Or lack thereof. Laughing

I'm still in PowerPC land with my collection of Macs. Even when I get a new Intel Mac, with Leopard pre-installed, it is going to be the only OS on my machine.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seeing as how the OS is incomplete. i would wait till ServicePack 1 gets released.

but im going to stick with my Windows XP for as long as its supported. which i think is another 7 years. or at least i hope. i mean it works fine now. its speedy, havent had any security problems.

if i were to upgrade anything . it would be to Leopard just for the new features.

if OS X could use .exe files and installers, then i would have no need for Windows whatsoever.

OS X 10.4.11
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran a full version of Vista Ultimate in parallels and all I can say is... YUK!! The "gadgets" are a feeble attempt at Mac's widgets. The install is somewhat flashy and makes you think you are getting this whole new experience. After half an hour I dumped it going back to XP pro. Look at this quote from a Oct. article

"Today Vista has a mere 1,400 bugs in it. This sounds like a lot, but if Microsoft is to be believed, this is down, way down, from 2,470 bugs on September 22."
Yahoo tec Oct. 4, 06'

Right now experts figure it has a minimum of 500 bugs.
Any new OS, Mac or PC will have bugs, but do I really want another four years of updates like their previous products?

Vista is not worth any thing close to $300. IMHO
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donut wrote:

seeing as how the OS is incomplete. i would wait till ServicePack 1 gets released.

but im going to stick with my Windows XP for as long as its supported. which i think is another 7 years. or at least i hope. i mean it works fine now. its speedy, havent had any security problems.

if i were to upgrade anything . it would be to Leopard just for the new features.

if OS X could use .exe files and installers, then i would have no need for Windows whatsoever.

"Ines Vargas, a program manager at Microsoft, told CNET News.com. The Redmond, Wash.-based software maker has now updated the online information to reflect that the consumer Windows XP editions, along with XP Professional, will be supported until two years after Vista ships."
Futa_Mill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I maybe would if Vista Ultimate was cheaper.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Vista really seems to be a joke. I hope it is not as bad as it appears. I want MicroSoft users to have a solid platform. Competition is good. This in turn would force Apple to continue to make an even better OS.

All I can say is I'm glad I have a Mac.
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sticking up for Microsoft with Gadgets, but it kind of bothers me when people say they stole it from Apple. Didn't Apple steal the basic idea of Widgets from Konfabulator in the first place? The rest of Windows Vista looks like a mess, and I don't see anything really innovative. I think Leopard is going to smoke Vista big time.
gregs656

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can get all the versions, for free, with MSDN.

and i still wouldnt touch it, few of my mates have run it (or tried to) and its utter shite.

dont touch it people, stay with XP (if you need windows for work, games what ever) or OSX.

IMO anyway! Im glad im getting a Mac!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but not this week. I might buy a copy down the road after Leopard comes out. I'm one of those people that think it's a good idea to be familiar with different operating systems.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Yes, but not this week. I might buy a copy down the road after Leopard comes out. I'm one of those people that think it's a good idea to be familiar with different operating systems.

Me too. Fortunately industry doesn't move as fast so I'll be supporting XP for some time. I really didn't even know XP that well up until about a 1-2 years ago. Most of my experience is with Windows 95 & 98.

Keeping up certainly keeps doors open, even if you don't agree or like the technology.

If Vista is interesting enough, I may buy a cheap box just to play around with it. I'll entertain the thought of putting in on an Intel Mac, but right now I have a PPC model and I'm not sure how thrilled I am about putting Windows on my Mac.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: